Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
You keep saying it and it remains worthless advice. Someone who is from here, left and finds the other place to be better is EXACTLY who should be posting. The thread is about a NATIONAL slight against the area (which was actually a non-issue and I hate to give it any weight except it opened up a bigger discussion). The arrogant denial that anywhere else could be better or have modern, credible ideas for sustainability and growth is exactly what is wrong around here. It's Kate syndrome, where our "unique character" cannot be messed with even as the middle class flee, taking the tax base with them. As long as YOU'RE happy, though, that's all that matters.
here you go: The good things about Long Island

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder. Long Island's certainly unique -- I don't know any place in the world like it.

Leave though. More towel space for us Less traffic too.

ps- Jcnny, were you even aware of the nice bike trails in Massapequa Preserve and Jones Beach (wantagh) bike path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Yes because the guy we have now is SO much better

Please.
I don't think so!

I stopped voting 3rd party because in some cases it hurts the "least offensive" candidate.

So yes, I voted for B.O. only because the Republicans had such a crappy choice in nutty McCain and Palin, his political embryo in a dress as VP. If the Republicans had someone even halfway decent I would have voted that way.

And I was disappointed as B.O. policies ended up worse than what he was campaigning on and worse than what McCain was campaigning on. But WHO KNOWS how much worse McCain would have been in reality?

They both were bad choices.

And now the LI'ers that voted for McCain can see they really wasted their vote on a guy that doesn't even respect them.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Never said there isn't anywhere better. Don't put words in my mouth to further your argument. I am happy, thank you. Sorry you're not.
I didn't put any words in your mouth. You told him (and me) to not let the door hit us in tha a**. At least stand by your words. I also didn't say I'm not happy. I want better. For me, you and my kid. Please don't sarcastically apologize. It's silly and condescendingly cheesy.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
here you go: The good things about Long Island

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder. Long Island's certainly unique -- I don't know any place in the world like it.

Leave though. More towel space for us Less traffic too.

ps- Jcnny, were you even aware of the nice bike trails in Massapequa Preserve and Jones Beach (wantagh) bike path?
Yeah let's all leave and take the tax base with us. Businesses too. Good luck with that. More towel space on the beach no one will be able to afford to park at and no nasty traffic with people trying to get to work. Maybe we can reclaim potato fields from Floral Park to the Hamptons. Jiminiy jillikers, that sure would be swell.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
So you don't even live here anymore? Just decided to stop by and bash a little bit. Thanks for stopping in. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Here is my original post.

Where do I say there is no where better than LI?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I do a fair amount of mountain biking . Believe me there are places to ride here where you can go five miles without seeing another soul. Road biking is another story, I would love to see trails built similar to what exists in suburban Washington DC. and western cities like Portland Oregon.
I don't like to generalize, but having spent time in many of the cities you have mentioned (Denver, Tampa, Orlando, as well as Reno, Las Vegas and Orange County , Calif. ) , it seems the homes in the suburban areas near those cities are packed together like sardines, much like the the spaces between the towels here at our LI beaches you had mentioned.
BTW, a five minute walk away from the concession stand at any LI beach will usually solve that congestion problem
I can show you and the other biking fans on here a biking trail right in Valley Stream for crying out loud.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Here is my original post.

Where do I say there is no where better than LI?
Sorry to say yours isn't the only post on the topic. Part of a forum is addressing the discussion as a whole, sometimes quoting the last line in the thread. You know that. You're recurring point was that he wasn't qualified to post anything negative and I should leave if I have nothing nice to say. Sometimes in life, we paraphrase. I'm glad you admit some places might be better. Shows potential.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
If the US doesent want us then we might as go it on our own. The only issues with independence are accepting the loss of US citizenship and the economic aspect, but hey that hasent derailed independence anywhere else in the world so why should it bother us?
Puerto Rico has all the benefits of citizens in the US (including things like section 8, full welfare, etc., etc.), can come here whenever they want, and no income taxes to pay to the US. Not a bad deal.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM

You couldn't resist, could ya?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Sorry to say yours isn't the only post on the topic. Part of a forum is addressing the discussion as a whole, sometimes quoting the last line in the thread. You know that. You're recurring point was that he wasn't qualified to post anything negative and I should leave if I have nothing nice to say. Sometimes in life, we paraphrase. I'm glad you admit some places might be better. Shows potential.

Seriously, nearly every post you have on this topic is a complete bash of how bad LI is (at least that it was much better). Some of your points are quite valid but what are YOU doing to make it better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island