Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 05:11 PM

519 posts, read 597,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You know, there are many reasons why people DO and DON'T move. Maybe they like living (or need to live) near their family. Maybe they have a job that doesn't allow them to leave - not just high paying Wall St. jobs but - yes - gravy train jobs. I would stick it out for that pension and those benefits too. It's a bit of a race against time with taxes going up so fast the last 15 years or so, but most are thinking it's worth it to stick it out.

Or maybe they are a doctor or a lawyer. Not so easy to give up your practice and leave - get licensed in another state, etc. And yes, sometimes it boils down to fear and/or inertia. But if one of those things is the reason someone isn't leaving, telling them how crazy they are for staying probably isn't motivating.

And I do think there are people who don't want to give up their identity as a NYer. I lived on LI for 43 years, and owned a house there for 13. Lived amongst people just like me with jobs and kids. Didn't know ANYONE who made a regular practice of going into the city - most were either sick of it from the work week or too busy with their kids' activities to have time. But the idea of not living right outside is a sticking point nonetheless. YOU aren't going to change that mindset when you don't even know these people!
...or, or, or (get ready for it).... maybe they just like it here.

-Occam's razor-

The sentence I bolded in your first paragraph says to me that you're not truly happy where you are now. Either that or money controls your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
rubygreta:
Quote:
I don't do it every day. And I'm not telling you to shut up. I just think it's beyond bizarre that you can't let go.
Well neither do I post every day. If I did I would certainly have more than 548 posts not including this one in two years. Do the math. I only post when there's a subject that I can relate to or to defend my positions. Such as now. Sometimes that requires multiple responses in the same day. Even if I did, so what? Is it making your life miserable? If so you've really got problems.

You just can't come to grips with the fact that there are people who left because they were truly miserable living in your own little paradise. Fine, you love New York and I don't. Big deal we're all different. You just can't accept that. You hate it when people state the reasons why they left. You hate it that others have found a better life for themselves out side of New York. God forbid they should let others know about it. The nerve! Why New York is the center of the universe. How could anybody not be happy living there? I understand your way of thinking. God knows I've lived with people who think like you do for 55 years. I'm just so happy to get away from it.

Yes you are telling me to shut up. Or at least you wish I would. Why I'll bet that if I came on this forum extolling all the virtues of living in New York and of how miserable I am since I moved and of how terrible things are in my adopted state, you could never get enough of it. C'mon admit it. But it ain't so Ruby, it ain't so. I made the right decision in moving here and love it where I am. Nothing that you say or anybody else says is ever going to change that. No, Ruby I won't shut up I have just as much of a right to post here as you do. I think it's beyond bizarre that you're telling me to let go yet it seems that you can't let go either. There's a word for that "hypocrisy".

Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Mods please close this thread.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:30 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
rubygreta:

Well neither do I post every day. If I did I would certainly have more than 548 posts not including this one in two years. Do the math. I only post when there's a subject that I can relate to or to defend my positions. Such as now. Sometimes that requires multiple responses in the same day. Even if I did, so what? Is it making your life miserable? If so you've really got problems.

You just can't come to grips with the fact that there are people who left because they were truly miserable living in your own little paradise. Fine, you love New York and I don't. Big deal we're all different. You just can't accept that. You hate it when people state the reasons why they left. You hate it that others have found a better life for themselves out side of New York. God forbid they should let others know about it. The nerve! Why New York is the center of the universe. How could anybody not be happy living there? I understand your way of thinking. God knows I've lived with people who think like you do for 55 years. I'm just so happy to get away from it.

Yes you are telling me to shut up. Or at least you wish I would. Why I'll bet that if I came on this forum extolling all the virtues of living in New York and of how miserable I am since I moved and of how terrible things are in my adopted state, you could never get enough of it. C'mon admit it. But it ain't so Ruby, it ain't so. I made the right decision in moving here and love it where I am. Nothing that you say or anybody else says is ever going to change that. No, Ruby I won't shut up I have just as much of a right to post here as you do. I think it's beyond bizarre that you're telling me to let go yet it seems that you can't let go either. There's a word for that "hypocrisy".
This guy has gone off the deep end. Do you think anyone reading your hysterical drivel is going to be persuaded to leave New York? And I don't see many people stating that New York is the center of the universe.

Why don't you post in the forum of whatever the hell state and city you now live in, and make the people who live in your state and city feel good about where they live.

And I have no idea where you live. But I would guess that lots of people would think it sucks really bad. Why? Because that's how life works. Your paradise is someone else's hell.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
It's not that people still on Long Island hate those of us that found some place we like, but that they are often told how bad Long Island is and the implication that they are somehow stupid for staying. Nobody wants their home insulted and often that's how it comes off when ex-pats start posting about their new homes, which of course leads to the new homes of the ex-pats being insulted and so on. A bit of civility by everyone goes a long way to sharing information, friendly debates and keeping a forum enjoyable.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Not really. Housing costs even in bad neighborhoods are expensive here compared to most of the country. You've actually gotta be kidding with me with this argument. There are tons of articles on this subject about the complete lack of affordable housing on LI, in fact I don't think I've ever heard 'cheap living' and Long Island in the same sentence before. Maybe just in MileyKid land...
"Cheap" and "expensive" are subjective... "Bad neighborhoods" are not expensive on LI. You don't need to make big bucks to live in many LI towns - especially as you get into Suffolk. You can get by just fine, rent, have a kid, etc - it's not that difficult. However... it becomes all about Quality of Life choices. You want to buy a decent house, have more than 1 kid, be in a better school district, have a backyard, etc. That's where the rubber hits the road and is not easily defined by looking at median values. I fully believe you'd be shocked to see suburbia in other metros.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It depends what you consider cheap living and what is an acceptable quality of life for you. I could get a house very cheaply in Wyandanch, for example, but would I want to live there because it's cheap? Hmm, must think about that ... Where are the cheap property taxes on LI (and, for that matter, in the Greater NYC Area like Westchester, Bergen County NJ, etc.)?
This has really been my main point during these discussions - how QoL is a major driver that seems to be ignored in favor of equating all of LI as being equally awesome sauce. We know it's not. It's town by town.

Don't pretend taxes are so high on LI because it's great - that's a fallacy that I know you're fully aware of...

I still don't understand why someone in your position would live in the suburbs at all. But that's what it's all about - different strokes for different folks. y'all

Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It depends what you consider cheap living and what is an acceptable quality of life for you. I could get a house very cheaply in Wyandanch, for example, but would I want to live there because it's cheap? Hmm, must think about that ... Where are the cheap property taxes on LI (and, for that matter, in the Greater NYC Area like Westchester, Bergen County NJ, etc.)?
Why do you think the basic economic principals of real estate don't work the same way in Charlotte, Nashville, Austin, etc... as they do on LI with regards to where cheap housing, with low property taxes and an acceptable quality of life are located in those areas? Or simply, houses in desirable areas anywhere come with higher prices, higher taxes and usually a more acceptable quality of life.

The same with "high crime" state argument. You do know that in these other states, not every place in the whole state has a crime rate at the state level, just like on LI the crime rate in one town can be a lot lower than in the next town over. So just like on LI, don't buy a house in a high crime area.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This has really been my main point during these discussions - how QoL is a major driver that seems to be ignored in favor of equating all of LI as being equally awesome sauce. We know it's not. It's town by town.

Don't pretend taxes are so high on LI because it's great - that's a fallacy that I know you're fully aware of...

I still don't understand why someone in your position would live in the suburbs at all. But that's what it's all about - different strokes for different folks. y'all
And why wouldn't she want to live in the suburbs??

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
"Cheap" and "expensive" are subjective... "Bad neighborhoods" are not expensive on LI. You don't need to make big bucks to live in many LI towns - especially as you get into Suffolk. You can get by just fine, rent, have a kid, etc - it's not that difficult. However... it becomes all about Quality of Life choices. You want to buy a decent house, have more than 1 kid, be in a better school district, have a backyard, etc. That's where the rubber hits the road and is not easily defined by looking at median values. I fully believe you'd be shocked to see suburbia in other metros.
I wouldn't be 'shocked' at all considering I lived in another southern expat utopia nearly half of my life. I know very well what suburban life is outside of the NY metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island