Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 05:55 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,546 times

Advertisements

Long Island is a mess not because of progressive politics (which could only help), but because of massive political corruption -- largely, but not exclusively, by Republicans -- that drains the area economy and keeps prices of everything high. Our local paper exposes some misdeed just about every week, but nobody does anything about it, not even our US attorney.

With that said, South Carolina is cheap because -- other than a place like Charleston or the beaches -- there's nothing there. If you want to play golf (greens fees not cheap), eat at endless ordinary chain restaurants, wear your Confederate flag T-shirt, sit on the front porch (on your couch), watch your pickup truck (or washing machine) decay on your front lawn, and not see a good museum or play ever again, then South Carolina's for you.

Long Island's no picnic, but when it comes to intellectual stimulation, South Carolina's not heaven. It's more toward the other direction. That must explain why they have so many churches down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:28 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,404,856 times
Oh, come to me, sweet Ignore list...

Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Bob View Post
We lived on Long Island for about a half a century. The taxes and the Progressive politics and the arduous driving made South Carolina seem like heaven on earth.
In January, 2013, a short while after we moved, Gov. Cuomo -- the genius from the Clinton administration who forced banks to give mortgages to people who couldn't afford them -- said that if you were pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, or pro-second amendment, there's no place for you in New York. NYC Mayor De Blasio echoed his statement a week later.

Pennsylvania across the border in upper NYS is booming because of fracking. The Kool-Aid drinking tree huggers forced a ban on fracking and upstate New York is economically depressed.

So, it you are considering moving to Long Island, be prepared to pay very high taxes and energy costs. And plan on spending as many as two or three hours to travel 60 miles to New Jersey to go anyplace south or west. Fortunately, there are ferries crossing the LI Sound to go north or east and the $80-$100 fee for a car with two people that are a pleasant alternative.
This is pretty much 100% wrong. PA is much more depressed than NY State, has almost no job growth (while NY State has quite strong job growth) and the fracking has basically destroyed rural PA (which is why real estate is so cheap and undesirable on the PA side of the border).

And SC is in the bottom five of every state ranking. It's among the poorest, least educated, most violent, most intolerant, most backward states. Perfect for someone who thinks that LI is too progressive, thinks equal rights and gun control are for sissies, and thinks that driving a car on LI is too arduous.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 AM

Job growth? NYS?

Lol. Oh, wait...maybe those are your beloved government jobs, because all the rest of us can see is empty storefronts.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,358 times
"With that said, South Carolina is cheap because -- other than a place like Charleston or the beaches -- there's nothing there. If you want to play golf (greens fees not cheap), eat at endless ordinary chain restaurants, wear your Confederate flag T-shirt, sit on the front porch (on your couch), watch your pickup truck (or washing machine) decay on your front lawn, and not see a good museum or play ever again, then South Carolina's for you.

Long Island's no picnic, but when it comes to intellectual stimulation, South Carolina's not heaven. It's more toward the other direction. That must explain why they have so many churches down there."

Only a snooty, status-obsessed upper-middle class person from Long Island(there are plenty there) would say such extreme and stereotypical things about South Carolina.

"Intellectual stimulation"? Really?

Old 08-25-2015, 06:53 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
I remember when this was a fun and positive thread.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,838 times
I remember when I was a lifeguard in Atlantic Beach right next to Seacliff. I use to dive at Catalina and surf in the evenings after work. Loved the beach and the summers while going to Ohio University. I liked the five towns and the diners. use to eat with Steve Adams from Hewlett HS. Remember the bands at El Patio and the BeachHouse in Long Beach. I ended up moving out to Palo Alto in 1073. There was a St. James Infirmiry in Mountain View which was kind of a biker bar but great place to drink.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:32 AM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundvl View Post
Ok what was that soda/ice cream place in Babylon that served sundays in a mini bathtube? Later it was a dance club. HMMMMMMMM and thanks for making me think Wetsons was not a figment of my imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyNY View Post
Are you thinking of Jahn's? They had great ice cream, and elaborate sundaes. I remember Wetson's too, they were the first one. I can't remember what the mascot was though! They were orange and white.

Had to Jahn's.

The ice cream referred to was called "The Kitchen Sink".
You really needed four guys that were ice cream freaks to polish it all off.

It was Huuuuuuuuuuge!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:43 AM

Jahn's was the epitomy of awesome.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:53 AM

49 posts, read 44,419 times
Default Why is this thread not a sticky??!?

Fantastic thread but why in the world hasnt it been made a sticky? LOL

Certainly deserves it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island