Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The residents of the Village of Belle Terre have the option of writing "Belle Terre" or "Port Jefferson" as their postal "city" (bearing mind that a postal "city" is an administrative district created by the USPS and not a real municipality).
As far as what you write on an envelope you can put anything in the place of the city.Only the zip code matters!
Other than their use as part of a place's mailing address, postal "cities" and postal "towns" have no other use, and because they do not conform to the borders of the real communities whose name they "borrow" they cause extreme geographic confusions concerning the actual community (village or hamlet) where a place is located.

As already pointed out to you on this thread and other threads, those towns/cities are not true communities, but non-conforming postal towns/cities administratively created by the USPS and have absolutely no relationship to actual community borders.

If/when Gordon Heights tried to become a postal "city" as against a real city -- and, by the way, there are no cities in Suffolk County -- whether or not it has any commercial property would have not made a difference because a postal "city" is not a municipality and does not collect property taxes.
When you claim taxes it is based on your town/city and school district and yes the amount of businesses in your area do effect your tax rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 PM

Walter, anything can be written in the 'city' spot on an envelope. All that matters is that you get the zip code correct! People still write Tanglewood Hills,Emerald Hills,and the ficticious North Coram.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
If Gordon Heights ever gets the good sense to distance itself, I'm relatively certain they'll leave Homestead Village behind in Coram.
; )

Crooks

Old 11-14-2009, 09:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When you claim taxes it is based on your town/city ...

Property taxes are not based on the postal city/town where the property is located but on the actual community where the property is located.

For example, a property can have a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address but actually be located in the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket, and thus that property, even though it has a "Port Jefferson" mailing address, owes no property tax to the Village of Port Jefferson.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Property taxes are not based on the postal city/town where the property is located but on the actual community where the property is located.

For example, a property can have a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address but actually be located in the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket, and thus that property, even though it has a "Port Jefferson" mailing address, owes no property tax to the Village of Port Jefferson.
I notice you cut off my post.It stated school district and city which actually put it within the specific hamlet.What that means is even if a house is in coram;it can be in longwood middle country,or comsewogue as a school district but the districts are specifically mapped and that is what creates your exact taxes.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I notice you cut off my post.It stated school district and city which actually put it within the specific hamlet.What that means is even if a house is in coram;it can be in longwood middle country,or comsewogue as a school district but the districts are specifically mapped and that is what creates your exact taxes.

Yes, all the taxing districts to which a property pays property tax have absolutely nothing to do with the community named in that property's mailing address (i.e., its postal city/town). Absolutely nothing.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:16 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
Quote:
Walter, anything can be written in the 'city' spot on an envelope. All that matters is that you get the zip code correct! People still write Tanglewood Hills,Emerald Hills,and the ficticious North Coram.
exactly, i lived in "Tanglewood Hills" for a quater century and thats what we always wrote with the 11727 zip

Now I live in Lake Panamoka which is technically in Wading River but the zip code and school district are Ridge. All of my return address labels say Lake Panamoka 11961 and 90% of the mail addressed to me says Lake Panamoka.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Now I live in Lake Panamoka which is technically in Wading River but the zip code and school district are Ridge.

Lake Panamoka is in the northeast part of the Hamlet of Ridge, to the immediate west of the Ridge/Wading River border.

A map of the Hamlet of Ridge in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Sorry Kel

Walters right.

You're in Ridge kid.

Crooks

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM

The Tanglewood Hills thing is a little goofy

I didn't realize people were that embarrassed to call it Coram back then.

I didn't write Strathmore on my mail in Stony Brook but I do recall getting mail addresses to Long Island rather than NY.

This is like the imaginary towns thread

Crooks
Weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island