Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
and why will other states, cities use taxpayer money but not California?

You don't use tax payer funds for "games" in a recession. If an entity wants to then it's just foolish. As in fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
and why will other states, cities use taxpayer money but not California?
Because they're really, really dumb.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM

165 posts, read 304,932 times
Damn Jacksonville is a horrible market I agree but the bad rap they get is hilarious. You guys do know not one game was blacked out in Jacksonville last year right? In comparison San Diego, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Buffalo all had games blacked out. But Jacksonville didn't but they still only get 30k fans a game right? LOL

And the other guy said the Jags and Panthers sucked for 5 years then got miraculously good and then sucked again. The Jags and Panthers went to the AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP games in their 2nd years each. Jacksonville lost to New England, Carolina to Green Bay, Green Bay won Favre's only superbowl. Jacksonville and Carolina were the most successful expansion franchises in LEAGUE HISTORY. Each had .500+ records until Carolina has just been horrible since the 2000s. Jacksonville in contrast is STILL 133-123 all time. They are 5-6 in the playoffs.

You people seem like you know nothing about football honestly. This is not hard stuff it's easy to research. The only time teams have ever moved in NFL history are due to stadium issues. Rams, Raiders, Colts, Chargers (originally an LA team for it's first year but again, I bet you didn't know that.) Chiefs (Dallas Texans) Cardinals, The Browns, Oilers/Titans.

NEVER has a team moved because of attendance. And Jacksonville seems to have revived their fan base it would seem so I'd count them out for now unless their team struggles significantly for a long period then I could see it. I think the city finally figured out they could lose their team and they responded accordingly.

the Niners and Raiders are talking about sharing a stadium so they could be out of the picture as well. Chargers seem the most realistic right now... but in all actuality an NFL future in LA is getting dimmer not brighter.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM

297 posts, read 401,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

Facts are, expansion teams SUCK for at least the first 5 years. It doesn't matter what sport and its especially true in football. The Jags and Panthers SUCKED for the first 5 years then magically got good for a few years after then went back to sucking.

I know this is an old post, but thought that this was hilarious. The Jags went on a four year playoff run from '96-'99 just one year after their expansion season. And the Panthers went to the playoffs in '96 as well.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM

165 posts, read 304,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
I know this is an old post, but thought that this was hilarious. The Jags went on a four year playoff run from '96-'99 just one year after their expansion season. And the Panthers went to the playoffs in '96 as well.
That's why i laughed too. Maybe LA just doesn't know anything about football? Like i posted just above both teams went to the AFC/NFC Championship in '96. And I forgot to mention but you did Jacksonville's playoff runs and division titles in '98 and '99 (Best record in the league actually 14-2) in a division with the Steelers, and Ravens (AFC Central.)

Jacksonville has the dubious honor of being the only team to lose 3 times to one team that year in '99 all to the Steve McNair (RIP) led Titans. Jacksonville beat every other team except Tennessee LOL so they effectively went 15-3.

They sent both Dan Marino and Jim Kelley into retirement after their shocking victories in their last games/playoff appearances (Upset Bills in Buffalo and were the only team ever to beat Buffalo in Buffalo in the playoffs before upsetting Elway and the #1 seed Broncos in Mile High the next week, murdered Marino's Fins 62-7 in 99.) Also Jimmy Johnson's last game he coached.

Tom Coughlin ran their team into the ground after that acting as GM/Coach and ruined their salary cap situation which ended up gutting the entire team and costing him his job. They went back to the playoffs in 2005 and 2007 (being the only team ever to beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh twice in one season, the latter in the playoffs.)

Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You don't use tax payer funds for "games" in a recession. If an entity wants to then it's just foolish. As in fools.
every new sports venue in the country outside of California includes some form of public financing, which is almost impossible to achieve in California "Even in boon times, Californians are very suspect of allocating public money to build a stadium. In bad times, it's simply impossible," Davis said. "The state has a tradition of not spending public money on stadiums or arenas. For example, 1999 and 2000 were good years in California and even in those good times there was no appetite in spending public money." Thats what former California Governor Gray Davis said, and I copied and pasted this from an article, true facts " Take a look around the NFL and MLB. Three of the five oldest stadiums in both the NFL and MLB are in California. In the past 20 years, it has gone from commonplace to standard practice for NFL teams to demand that stadiums be built with public funding. Since 1992, 21 of the 22 NFL stadiums built or proposed have included anywhere from 12 percent to 100 percent public funding. On average, 63 percent of the funding used to complete the stadiums came from the public."
Why is California like this and not other states?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM

297 posts, read 401,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
Damn Jacksonville is a horrible market I agree but the bad rap they get is hilarious. You guys do know not one game was blacked out in Jacksonville last year right? In comparison San Diego, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Cincinnati, St. Louis and Buffalo all had games blacked out. But Jacksonville didn't but they still only get 30k fans a game right? LOL
To be fair, how big is Jacksonville's stadium compared to Buffalo's? Plus the Bills started 0-8, blackouts are to be expected at that point.

BTW, congrats on landing Poz. I have mixed feelings seeing him go. He was largely overrated by many Bill's fans but non the less he is a solid player that gives us another hole to fill in free agency. Hopefully he takes the 32nd ranked run defense with him.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:47 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times
Since California Politics are like this, the Super Bowl will not be hosted anywhere in California again until a new NFL stadium is built

Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,511 times
if LA gets anyone soon it will be the chargers or Oakland once Al Davis passes which might be soon unfortunately, he is not looking well.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:55 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
If LA ever builds a new football stadium, I think the NFL would have to seriously consider bringing a team to Los Angeles. LA is to big of a market to be ignored and I guarantee that once LA actually builds that proposed new football stadium, the NFL will step up on their end to help bring a football team to Los Angeles. When it comes down to it, it is up to the Los Angeles Area and how bad they want an NFL team. Building a new football stadium would definitely prove that and it would show that Los Angeles is serious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles