Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:53 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,658,778 times

Advertisements

LA is to big to be ignored.....Are you ready for the Los Angeles Rams?
Why do a lot of people hate the St. Louis Rams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
every new sports venue in the country outside of California includes some form of public financing, which is almost impossible to achieve in California "Even in boon times, Californians are very suspect of allocating public money to build a stadium. In bad times, it's simply impossible," Davis said. "The state has a tradition of not spending public money on stadiums or arenas. For example, 1999 and 2000 were good years in California and even in those good times there was no appetite in spending public money." Thats what former California Governor Gray Davis said, and I copied and pasted this from an article, true facts " Take a look around the NFL and MLB. Three of the five oldest stadiums in both the NFL and MLB are in California. In the past 20 years, it has gone from commonplace to standard practice for NFL teams to demand that stadiums be built with public funding. Since 1992, 21 of the 22 NFL stadiums built or proposed have included anywhere from 12 percent to 100 percent public funding. On average, 63 percent of the funding used to complete the stadiums came from the public."
Why is California like this and not other states?
I think in good times you can snake public funds from the tax payers without them caring. Not in a recession. For those States that have, they must not have much else to do in the winter. Hence the buy in. Look at these cost overrun quotes.

Chargers eyeing a more costly San Diego stadium | SignOnSanDiego.com
The post is worth noting for two reasons. One, it shows how Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, point person on the team's stadium search since 2002, will now attempt to build support for funding a new venue. And two, it suggests that the stadium's cost may exceed the $800 million figure most often tossed around in the discussion.

Saturday Fabiani suggested that borrowing against future redevelopment dollars is one way of keeping the project alive, while noting that would increase its cost. In a long answer to the effect of the state redevelopment changes, Fabiani makes three points. The third suggests cost increases "may be unavoidable."

Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I think in good times you can snake public funds from the tax payers without them caring. Not in a recession. For those States that have, they must not have much else to do in the winter. Hence the buy in. Look at these cost overrun quotes.

Chargers eyeing a more costly San Diego stadium | SignOnSanDiego.com
The post is worth noting for two reasons. One, it shows how Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, point person on the team's stadium search since 2002, will now attempt to build support for funding a new venue. And two, it suggests that the stadium's cost may exceed the $800 million figure most often tossed around in the discussion.

Saturday Fabiani suggested that borrowing against future redevelopment dollars is one way of keeping the project alive, while noting that would increase its cost. In a long answer to the effect of the state redevelopment changes, Fabiani makes three points. The third suggests cost increases "may be unavoidable."
Well the State of California will never get to host the Super Bowl again until it builds a new NFL stadium

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM

207 posts, read 354,018 times
With all the bickering that went on during the lockout and money at the center of it all, its about time the NFL put an NFL team in L.A. a BIG market. The NFL is literally pissing away potential revenues without having a team there.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:05 PM

seriously, why will other states use public money, or just any form of public funding to foot the bill to initiate construction of a Stadium but not California? that pisses me off because i'm part of Southern California's lost NFL generation

Last edited by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople; 08-02-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 06:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
seriously, why will other states use public money, or just any form of public funding to foot the bill to initiate construction of a Stadium but not California? that pisses me off because i'm part of Southern California's lost NFL generation
Is there something about an out-of-control CA state budget deficit that is sapping every decent program we once had here that is elluding anybody's purview here?

In a time and place when 'public' anything is fast becoming a thing of the past, don't get your hopes up that helping line billionaire's pockets for their big toys is going to be met anywhere in this state with other than something between ironic laughter and utter contempt. The scuttling of the Redevelopment Agencies should be the first clue to this reality.

With the new CBA agreement behind them and massive TV contracts ever expanding across cable and the net, methinks the NFL and team owners can figure out how to eak out a profit from their shiny new stadiums. Let's sit back and watch. I already got some preseason Raiders tickets, so I've done my part so far this year.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
I found this site after a quick google search NFL Stadium Cost, Tax Payer Subsidies. 22 current NFL stadiums were built with public moneys (and Indy and Dallas aren't even included). That is crazy!!!! Much of these costs are also passed down to the people through a tax hike of some kind as well (whether it be parking, hotels, but also sales taxes). I like footbal and all, but I WILL NOT pay an increased sales tax for a fancy new stadium in my city. That is lame. If football is such a money maker, then you'd think there would be potential owners lined up out the door at NFL hq trying to buy teams. Truth is, you only make money when raiding city coffers for handouts. LAME! Check out this site Most Profitable NFL Teams - Forbes.com, it lists the top 10 most profitable NFL franchises. All 10 used public finacing to help build their stadiums. Miami and Dallas aren't included, but i have confirmed that public money was used. maybe some cities have came out ahead in these deals through the increased bed taxes at hotels (which would be at the expense of visitors, not locals), but considering the times we live in, the risk is not worth it IMHO.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:06 AM

207 posts, read 354,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
If football is such a money maker, then you'd think there would be potential owners lined up out the door at NFL hq trying to buy teams.
Well it seems like theres alot of interest now with constructing Farmers Field for a cool 1 billion..this even without an NFL team.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Well the State of California will never get to host the Super Bowl again until it builds a new NFL stadium
With a new stadium being built that might be very soon. San Diego is doomed because they can't even fill the stadium they have now much the less even more expensive seats. Look at Petco. Even with a winning record the turnstile count last year just sucked. This year it's pathetic.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Even when California's economy was doing great in the early 2000's, California still refused to use any form of public money to foot the bill for a stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles