Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:06 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
When I was working in northeast Asia in 2007, the high school kids made fun of skinny jeans as being an out-dated fashion. It's a generally held fact that trends in street fashion and tech are first defined in Asia (specifically Japan but also South Korea and Taiwan). Therefore, if their high school kids think that a fashion trend is outdated, then it generally can be thought of as being so. Somehow, L.A. hadn't gotten the message four years later.

My opinion is that kids can still pull them off, as can legitimate rock stars, but that they look too try-hard (to be young in their attempt to belong to a certain faux-social-group in the style of a high school kid) on any man over 21 years old. They did have a certain heyday, perhaps pre-2007, wherein older hipsters could get away with them because society was still looking at 'hipsterism' with a bemused curiosity. If you think about it, there really hasn't been another major hip-to-be-young fashion trend like that since the 60's, for people out of college. Being a hippy faded out to be only a fringe social choice as hipsterism is in the process of doing for those out of high school. I think that being yourself is coming back into fashion for people in their mid-to-late 20's. That's my interpretation of the current state of the skinny jeans and, by extension, the broader hipster trend.
What the hell are you talking about? Fashion is cyclical as it always has been and always will be. Skinny jeans were big in the 80's - 90's, they were known as drainpipe jeans back then and popularized by rock bands. They went out of style in the late 90's - 00's as baggy pants and bell bottoms took over, popularized by hip hop and rappers. At the end of the 00's, skinny jeans once again regained ground in fashion. Fashion is cyclical, influenced by location and popular culture... not sure why you're blathering on about hipsterism, hippies, and Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:50 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineLB View Post
I have to say I completely agree with the Boston story. Dating in the North east and mid west suck if you're a female. I spent 4 miserable years in Chicago. Guys have the upper hand there. I can't figure it out... might be because of the shrinking straight male population. Lots of guys on the "DL" in Chicago plus boys town make the picking very slim! If you do find a decent man, expect to do stuff you would never be expected to do elsewhere: pay his bills, stroke his ego, lots of freakin' extras.

So I moved to LA. I looooooove it here. The ppl are beautiful. Men are gentle, respectful, eager, committed, and all around sweet. It is 180 degrees difference and I am not exaggerating.

I totally agree. I have lived in the northeast and in LA area. Much easier to meet guys in LA. I had at least one approach me every single time i grocery shopped. People in general are much colder in the northeast.

Maybe because its so cold!?

Old 11-28-2014, 04:45 AM

8 posts, read 9,089 times
I think L.A is beautiful city. I was dating too much. May be here plenty of singles but if you try than find.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:40 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
The dating scene in LA pretty bad unless you're a certain type of person like a Starving Artist, Musician, Club Promoter, or in the Entertainment Industry. And I'm talking about for the attractive women in this city.

An untalked about fact about LA is that a large number of women in this city are unattractive especially as you head east of La Brea where's theres a large amount of obesity, sloppily dressed, and women who don't care about their appearance compared to women who are looking to "make it" in the Entertainment Industry.

Another thing about the women in LA is that many are flaky, and will change their minds within a whim . Because many women are have multiple men to fall back on. This is different in the other cities I've been to.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
There’s a lot of truth to the geographic isolation, being in the car and traffic, and non-commital dating culture we have here in LA. It’s not hard to meet people here but it is hard to meet people who you connect with outside of work, school, and living situation. I’m not even religious but have considered going to a church near my house just to meet some decent people. This city can be grueling but it also has its moments of awesomeness. I’ve been here for 10 years went to UCLA used to live on the West Side for many years but couldn’t handle the traffic anymore so now I’m a transplant to echo park in my early thirties. I’m educated and not bad looking originally from the east coast, there’s a local bar I like to go to because they don’t have any TVs on the walls and always play good music. I’ve been there probably 100 times and still have yet to meet a new person I really connected with, I met a musician once from Colorado and we just talked about car stuff and music. There’s a real stigma in this city, Washington DC is an entirely different vibe everyone meets up at the bars after work to talk and network not so much here in LA. I see a lack of culture, community, and communication, self-absorbed people always on their phones and looking for something and someone better it’s actually quite sad. Tonight at that same bar on a Friday night there was a guy with his laptop and headphones sitting next to me as I wonder if he’s had a decent conversation with anyone all week, all month, or all year. I think about these kind of things, like I wonder what that guys’ life is like and if he’s lonely or likes the solitude. Unfortunately I have a feeling a majority of people in Los Angeles aren’t as thoughtful and only consider themselves, their friends, their lives, and their own problems. It seems like the culture here is very ego-centric me me me me me look at me and honestly still being here after ten years being able to do things I wouldn’t have been able to do anywhere else in the world leaves me thinking could I possibly be happier somewhere else where there exists an actual community with a better culture better people and happier lifestyle ��

Last edited by Troystar69; 12-09-2017 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 08:07 PM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
Here's my take:

1) LA/SoCal is too big and without a decent transportation for the area (public transportation, freeways, etc) of this size it's difficult to sometimes maintain/develop relationships. This is especially true with the current work climate as most people can't afford to live where they work.

2) Too many nightlife options: This can be difficult to find your niche and be overwhelmed. This is worsened by the traffic/transportation issue in #1.

3) Entertainment industry: There's alot of people I've encountered in the entertainment industry (aspiring actresses, models, personalities, etc) only really care about becoming the next big thing or being a part of the next big project. Thus, they really only care about who/what can get them there. I didn't think it would be as bad as it is before I moved here, but things are they way they are.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:41 PM

165 posts, read 150,520 times
L.A. is the entertainment capitol of the world; in other words, an extremely sexist, lookist community. So many people in this city have extremely limited, screwed up expectations of how women are supposed to look and act and won't even give you a chance if you don't fall into their limited parameters.

I moved here in 1997 and ended a 5-year long term relationship in '98. After some healing time, I started dating in earnest in '99. I wasn't using the internet, just going out to various clubs or events and attempting to meet people. The only guys I met were looking for casual sex partners, usually just for 1 night, or maybe a regular booty call once every few weeks. I fell for that b.s. a few times because they were good at giving me some spin about being interested in dating. But I soon developed good radar for those kinds of games and avoided more pitfalls like that.

In 2000, I finally started online dating and kept it up off and on until 2012. Again, a majority of the guys I met online were just looking for casual hookups, not interested in actual dating, just sex. Some were very good at pretending otherwise and, again, I fell for their crap. A few of them turned out to be married or have live-in girlfriends. More of them had issues with drugs and/or alcohol, or socio-emotional issues that just were not conducive to dating or developing a relationship. Over the years, I did have a few 2-3 year relationships with guys I met online, but all of them were long-distance except one. Aside from that one guy, I wasn't meeting anyone in L.A. who was a good dating/relationship partner for me, or who was interested in dating me. And most of that came down to looks and appearance. I'd send messages to plenty of guys online who I thought were good looking, we shared some interests, and they seemed like they'd be a good dating partner for me... but 9 times out of 10, I'd never receive a response.

In fact, I discovered one guy I'd contacted on a dating site who was my age, lived in my area, shared some interests with me, was dating a friend of mine who was 9 years younger and came closer to representing the standard physical 'type' most guys in SoCal seem to look for. Never mind that this guy and I shared more in common and I lived closer to him than my younger friend, he had no interest in dating me when he had a younger, more stereotypically 'pretty' person to date.

I gave up on internet dating (and dating in SoCal in general) in 2012, although I've periodically tried again out of sheer boredom, but nothing much has changed in the online dating scene, aside from apps like Tinder making online dating even more of a meat market/casual sex hookup scene than it already was. I'm 48 now, educated (MA degree), employed, independent, and don't suffer fools gladly. I'm far too smart and "scary" for half the mannish boys out there... more than half, if it must be said. I don't see the dating scene changing or my prospects improving while I live in SoCal. It's one of the reasons why I've been making plans for a few years now to get the hell out.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittle_star View Post
L.A. is the entertainment capitol of the world; in other words, an extremely sexist, lookist community. So many people in this city have extremely limited, screwed up expectations of how women are supposed to look and act and won't even give you a chance if you don't fall into their limited parameters.

I moved here in 1997 and ended a 5-year long term relationship in '98. After some healing time, I started dating in earnest in '99. I wasn't using the internet, just going out to various clubs or events and attempting to meet people. The only guys I met were looking for casual sex partners, usually just for 1 night, or maybe a regular booty call once every few weeks. I fell for that b.s. a few times because they were good at giving me some spin about being interested in dating. But I soon developed good radar for those kinds of games and avoided more pitfalls like that.

In 2000, I finally started online dating and kept it up off and on until 2012. Again, a majority of the guys I met online were just looking for casual hookups, not interested in actual dating, just sex. Some were very good at pretending otherwise and, again, I fell for their crap. A few of them turned out to be married or have live-in girlfriends. More of them had issues with drugs and/or alcohol, or socio-emotional issues that just were not conducive to dating or developing a relationship. Over the years, I did have a few 2-3 year relationships with guys I met online, but all of them were long-distance except one. Aside from that one guy, I wasn't meeting anyone in L.A. who was a good dating/relationship partner for me, or who was interested in dating me. And most of that came down to looks and appearance. I'd send messages to plenty of guys online who I thought were good looking, we shared some interests, and they seemed like they'd be a good dating partner for me... but 9 times out of 10, I'd never receive a response.

In fact, I discovered one guy I'd contacted on a dating site who was my age, lived in my area, shared some interests with me, was dating a friend of mine who was 9 years younger and came closer to representing the standard physical 'type' most guys in SoCal seem to look for. Never mind that this guy and I shared more in common and I lived closer to him than my younger friend, he had no interest in dating me when he had a younger, more stereotypically 'pretty' person to date.

I gave up on internet dating (and dating in SoCal in general) in 2012, although I've periodically tried again out of sheer boredom, but nothing much has changed in the online dating scene, aside from apps like Tinder making online dating even more of a meat market/casual sex hookup scene than it already was. I'm 48 now, educated (MA degree), employed, independent, and don't suffer fools gladly. I'm far too smart and "scary" for half the mannish boys out there... more than half, if it must be said. I don't see the dating scene changing or my prospects improving while I live in SoCal. It's one of the reasons why I've been making plans for a few years now to get the hell out.
Sounds like you were hanging with a shallow, entertainment industry crowd.
Fact is most people in LA still get settled down into monogamous marriages pretty early. Especially in the working class areas. But even a lot of the white collar types in Silicon Beach or the fancy Century City offices are married - or just about to be.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
When I was working in northeast Asia in 2007, the high school kids made fun of skinny jeans as being an out-dated fashion. It's a generally held fact that trends in street fashion and tech are first defined in Asia (specifically Japan but also South Korea and Taiwan). Therefore, if their high school kids think that a fashion trend is outdated, then it generally can be thought of as being so. Somehow, L.A. hadn't gotten the message four years later.

I have news for you. Japan isn't "northeast Asia". The Russian Far East is. Kamchatka, Magadan, maybe the Vladivostok area and Sakhalin Island. "North Asia" is generally synonymous with Siberia + the Russian Far East. So NE Asia would be the eastern part of that.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:17 AM

165 posts, read 150,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Sounds like you were hanging with a shallow, entertainment industry crowd.
Fact is most people in LA still get settled down into monogamous marriages pretty early. Especially in the working class areas. But even a lot of the white collar types in Silicon Beach or the fancy Century City offices are married - or just about to be.
No, I've never hung out or worked with anyone in the entertainment industry while living in L.A. I work in public education. Lookism is incredibly rampant across all walks of life in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles