Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Yes. Go see them. But the house music? Can you handle it sober? Me? I think I'd need some E to get through 20 minute "songs". Of course, if I was with some random, hot English bird, I might sing a different tune.
hah

I have never tried E in my life. I get high off electronic music mainly Drum n' Bass. My friend recently moved to Thailand and opened a bar over there, he does the full moon party constantly. I may go over there and try and a few things for the first time (if you know what I mean ). Especially before I hit 30.

Hahaha 20mins is a bit much for the same song!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I recently visited there and its not all its cracked up to be, its nothing like what they show on the t.v. Kind of depressing city actually with Horrible traffic!
Well, there you go. Relying on TV.

[don't]

Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
hah

I have never tried E in my life. I get high off electronic music mainly Drum n' Bass. My friend recently moved to Thailand and opened a bar over there, he does the full moon party constantly. I may go over there and try and a few things for the first time (if you know what I mean ). Especially before I hit 30.

Hahaha 20mins is a bit much for the same song!
Careful...especially in Thailand...like the song says..."I'm not dumb but I can't understand why she walks like a woman and talks like a man...oh my Lola..."

Good luck with the pre- 30 stuff. But then what? The fun stops? Then you grow up? IMO, that "growing up" suff is completely overrated...

Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM

255 posts, read 882,129 times
Tv is a glossy dramatic version of whatever city they're trying to display. That goes for ANY CITY. There's the good/bad/and the ugly. There's the new york and los angeles we see on tv and then there's real life. Sometimes life imitates art and visa versa. A one time visit to only certain places won't give you a realistic view, anyways.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
also the people of los angeles are not as diverse as everyone on these forum say... I say mostly whites/asians and hispanics whats so diverse about that?
whites in LA are mostly from germany, ireland, holland, and other european countries, also there is tons of people from spain, france, italy, and england.

asians in LA are from china, japan, korea, vietnam, mongolia, india, middle east, thailand, and malaysia.

hispanics, when people hear somebody speaking spanish in LA they asume its mexicans, and most of them are but hispanics is the most common. in LA the main hispanics are, mexico, el salvedor, guatemala, costa rica, some argentina, puerto ricans, domminican. i know lots of people in my neighborhood and school in LA that are from brazil, panama, colombia, venezuela, ecuador, bolivia, belize, and honduras.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Default diversity in LA

Here's my street ethnically speaking...

Corner houses - south - Mexican north - Armenian
next - south - Mexican / Irish north - Armenian
next - south - Iranian / Mexican north - Dutch / English (?)
next - south - English/French / Nicarauguan north - Mexican
next - south (me) - Irish/Italian / German/Ital north - Caucasian/ Mexican
next - south - Japanese north - Irish / Greek
next - south - Caucasian(?) north - Italian
next - south - East Indian / Filipino north - German
next - south - English north - Filipino
next - south - Chinese north - Taiwanese

As you can see Tweety, this little LA snippet is quite varied. From what I hear, it is somewhat typical of the ethnic diversity of Los Angeles. Of course there are areas that have higher concentrations of certain groups but overall, it does seem to be a healthy mix of cultures.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM

47 posts, read 87,387 times
I know several people dying to leave OC and go to school in LA. I don't see the appeal at all. It's fun to go party once a month, but I would never live there again (I'm from east LA).

Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepwn View Post
I know several people dying to leave OC and go to school in LA. I don't see the appeal at all. It's fun to go party once a month, but I would never live there again (I'm from east LA).
There has been a long time dialogue, if you will, about LA vs. the OC. Funny thing though...if you over generalize each area you are led to believe that the OC is a Waspy, affluent and crime free zone and LA is a minority ridden sh*thole where they dump the dead bodies at the curb every Tuesday morning for City pick up.

IMO, the truth is that each area, like most cities / counties, has a mix of everything and has areas most would enjoy being in and areas where most would want to avoid.

Personally, I like the beach, so in the LA area, I'd pick Manhattan Beach. In the OC, I'd pick Laguna Beach. Based on that snippet, I'd have to give the OC the edge though either would be an amazing place to live.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
LA demographically is the new norm in this country, versus the OC, which used to be the norm.

LA is 10% black, 12% Asian, 49% Hispanic. This means that approx. 29% of LA is white. Within the "white" designation, you have groups not traditionally considered white; mainly Jews, Persians (the non Jews), and Armenians. It's hard to quantify these numbers for these 3 groups, but it's safe to say that LA is around 8-10% traditionally white.

Compare that to OC and I think that's why people generalize about LA. There's still a perception in this country that white means rich and non white and immigrant means poor. I guess those people have never been to rural Arkansas.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
LA demographically is the new norm in this country, versus the OC, which used to be the norm.

LA is 10% black, 12% Asian, 49% Hispanic. This means that approx. 29% of LA is white. Within the "white" designation, you have groups not traditionally considered white; mainly Jews, Persians (the non Jews), and Armenians. It's hard to quantify these numbers for these 3 groups, but it's safe to say that LA is around 8-10% traditionally white.

Compare that to OC and I think that's why people generalize about LA. There's still a perception in this country that white means rich and non white and immigrant means poor. I guess those people have never been to rural Arkansas.
Sh*t howdy...no they ain't been round them parts!

Thanks for the demographics. And don't forget, I have heard that the highest concentration of those "immigrants" (latinos) is in the OC in Santa Ana. Shhh. Don't tell those Real Housewives of OC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles