Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 11:03 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times

Advertisements

Mixed-use project underway in Arlington Heights:

https://la.urbanize.city/post/housin...hington-norton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 12:44 AM

100 posts, read 543,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigHomieGucci View Post
Not true at all, the neighborhood being most gentrified right now is Boyle Heights, all of the gentrified neighborhoods in LA were once Latino (Silver Lake, Echo Park, Northeast LA, North Hollywood)
The Latino neighborhoods are the ones that actually will be gentrified, because gentrification in LA is mostly about neighborhoods that surround downtown, East LA is way closer to the Westside and Downtown than Carson, Compton or North Long Beach
Inglewood being actually gentrified like Silver Lake is unlikely, for reasons such as the noise level, increasing crime, It being perceived as a bad neighborhood, and the fact that it's not even LA, it's a separate city, its more likely that the area around the stadium will be like a gated community surrounded by ghettos
Personally I think that diversifying these old Chicano neighborhoods is one of the few positives about gentrificaton in this city, the most racist people in this city are those "Viva La Raza" Chicano people who literally firebombed black people out of their homes and had basically a ethnic cleansing campaign back in the late 90s/early 2000s in some neighborhoods, now black people can move into Silver Lake Northeast LA or Boyle Heights with all the other races and they can't do anything about it
Now I have no problem with Hispanics, just those Cholo Racist Homeboy types who are being kicked out to El Monte or Riverside or Texas (or deported)
Boyle Heights isn't perceived as a bad neighborhood then? East LA? Inglewood is much closer to the Westside than East LA... I have looked at Google Maps of Boyle Heights recently, and much of it looks the exact same (carnicerias, taquerias, liquor stores, laundromats, etc.), while the neighborhoods are still full of houses with bars on the windows and fences, etc. It is a VERY slow gentrification, if any (in Echo Park, while you still see fences around the houses and bars on the windows, the main business districts look a LOT different than they did 20 years ago, and certain areas of Highland Park have that hip feel, while the neighborhoods themselves still look bad). And outside of Silver Lake, all the gangs in those areas are still there (even in Venice, Venice 13 and the Shoreline Crips are still there). Old Town Pasadena in the 80s doesn't count as it is not a residential area (therefore it could not be truly gang territory), so all they had to do to clean it up was rezone it to where undesirable businesses were no longer allowed there while offering incentives for restaurants, bars, and cool shops to open up there (the only remnant of its shady past still there is a pawn shop), and as a result gang members don't hang out there like they used to.

Inglewood because of SoFi stadium and the Intuit Dome, and its proximity to the Westside and Santa Monica, is much more likely to gentrify (yes, it has a bad reputation, but so does East LA, and Echo Park had a terrible reputation from the 70s through the 90s). Boyle Heights and East LA are well over 90% Hispanic and many own property and businesses there, which slows down gentrification...

Old 10-25-2022, 06:06 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
... all the gangs in those areas are still there (even in Venice, Venice 13 and the Shoreline Crips are still there).
Doesn't stop--and never has--multi million dollar homes being built there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
Old Town Pasadena in the 80s doesn't count as it is not a residential area
It isn't?

https://www.zillow.com/pasadena-ca/o...-pasadena_att/

Old 10-25-2022, 04:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Doesn't stop--and never has--multi million dollar homes being built there.
Of course not due to location, but the new folks moving in often complain about the old element still very much present in the area.

I wouldn't go by what zillow says here. The second home in your link is on north summit avenue which is not near old town pasadena. Nowadays Old Town has newer mixed use developments but it is still overwhelmingly a commercial area.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:09 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
You guys might think Im crazy, but I think in the next 15-20 years the Westlake area (MacArthur Park) is going to be gentrified. Or, the gentrification of the area will start. With the new subway running down Wilshire, and its already close proximity to the HOT location of Koreatown to the west and downtown to the east, I think its going to be a hotspot for transplants to move into LA.

They are going to clean that area up for the Olympics, and that will start the process.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:20 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You guys might think Im crazy, but I think in the next 15-20 years the Westlake area (MacArthur Park) is going to be gentrified. Or, the gentrification of the area will start. With the new subway running down Wilshire, and its already close proximity to the HOT location of Koreatown to the west and downtown to the east, I think its going to be a hotspot for transplants to move into LA.

They are going to clean that area up for the Olympics, and that will start the process.
I don't think it is crazy at all. To some extent it has already started...several new market rate housing developments in City West (opened 2016 to 2020) which borders Westlake to the east. And they've been slowing pushing into the Westlake neighborhood from the east (City West) and west (K-Town).

This new apartment development opened a few blocks west of MacArthur Park in 2021:
https://la.urbanize.city/post/render...lco-apartments

This project is supposed to start construction in 2022 and open in 2024:
https://la.urbanize.city/post/218-un...oundbreaking-0

Lots of other projects in the pipeline.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:21 AM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Of course not due to location, but the new folks moving in often complain about the old element still very much present in the area.
Having owned a home in Venice back when Abbot Kinney was still called Washington Blvd, I'm aware of the gentrification in that area.

Old 11-03-2022, 06:26 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Will funds not be diverted to homeless and social causes first?
I thought business should and likely will be last for funding.

If I had to pick a neighborhood or city that needs it, it would be Inglewood, Hawthorne, Lomita, North Hollywood and Reseda.

Old 11-04-2022, 08:44 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post

If I had to pick a neighborhood or city that needs it, it would be Inglewood, Hawthorne, Lomita, North Hollywood and Reseda.
Locations that "needs" gentrification are very much different than locations that "will be" gentrified which is the topic of this thread.

Of the locations you mentioned, NoHo is probably the most ripe for gentrification. But really only southern part below Burbank blvd and mostly around the arts district near Magnolia and Lankershim. For years though, in this area, you get a lot of younger artsy/industry wannabe types who move here from wherever else they are from in the country wanting to get into the industry. So you have a lot of those types. Unfortunately, these are not your young professionals (I.T, Finance, Attorneys, etc.) so they rent and roommate. If and when they do start earning decent incomes, or when they have a baby or two, they leave to Santa Clarita or back to their home state. So, NoHo seem to be a transitional area.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:28 PM

10,290 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
The black areas have much more potential than East L.A.

Does anyone here even know anything about East L.A.?

I spent some time there with some previous family. The Latino population there is Die Hard, and goes back generations. There are stories on EastsiderLA about the Latinos fighting gentrification in Boyle Heights because they are PISSED the white people are moving in.

East LA isnt just an area, it's a culture and a city-state. We aren't talking about normal areas here, and this isn't the 'it's different' argument. I'd bet the farm there is no way, ever, whites or hipsters gentrify East L.A.
"EasLos" has had this "ownership" balony by mexicans for 100 + years. They don't own the streets. The City does. Makes no difference how many walls Juan spray paints, it's STILL public property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles