Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:19 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Wow, just wow.

Corporate greed is the primary driver of lack of jobs and insufficient wages. This DIRECTLY increases the need for social services. By hoarding cash and increasing profits at the expense of workers, large corporations are actually creating unemployed people who cannot earn enough to support themselves in cities where overpaid executives are contributing to skyrocketing housing costs.

These companies don't pay their share of taxes, literally remove cash from the economy and don't pay their workers enough to afford to pay their share of taxes!!!!!!!!

The LEAST this country can do is allow these people the opportunity to buy a fresh vegetable or fruit once in a while. Since it has repeatedly been shown that in every major city in this country the lower income areas have less supermarkets than other neighborhoods and the product sent to the markets they have is sub-standard.
Because corporations are responsible to pay for all of societies ills? You libs are insufferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 04:20 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Wow, just wow.

Corporate greed is the primary driver of lack of jobs and insufficient wages. This DIRECTLY increases the need for social services. By hoarding cash and increasing profits at the expense of workers, large corporations are actually creating unemployed people who cannot earn enough to support themselves in cities where overpaid executives are contributing to skyrocketing housing costs.

These companies don't pay their share of taxes, literally remove cash from the economy and don't pay their workers enough to afford to pay their share of taxes!!!!!!!!

The LEAST this country can do is allow these people the opportunity to buy a fresh vegetable or fruit once in a while. Since it has repeatedly been shown that in every major city in this country the lower income areas have less supermarkets than other neighborhoods and the product sent to the markets they have is sub-standard.
You seem to be arguing that we are making an argument ad absurdum as it relates to conserving government resources, i.e. that we are "worried about nickels" whereas you want to enlighten us to what you perceive as the the real problem: that is with the loss of the corporate "dollars". The opposite is true. I have no comment on the "dollars" and I want to discuss the petty "nickels".

Supermarkets operate on pretty slim profit margins. It is simply not profitable to open them in very low income areas because, even with EBT, the people there will generally not opt for the relatively few high profit products within the store that offset the profit neutral products. In addition, there could also be problems with crime (burglary, petty theft, etc.) in the neighborhood thus requiring the hiring of additional security guards, which further erodes profits.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:24 PM

817 posts, read 753,221 times
All I know, is that I see far too many conveyor belts of groceries with crap and garbage on them, and then out comes the Golden EBT card. Pisses me off to no end.

Anytime I see someone using that card, then buying booze with cash, I bust them out in front of everyone. Unless they look like a gangbanger.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:30 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Please tell me WHO is being HURT by the Farmers Market accepting food stamps? Certainly not the people selling PRODUCE, as they are still getting PAID.
If the Farmer's Market benefits, then why do they have to be forced into accepting EBT cards?

Liberals are always forcing businesses to do something, and then liberals say that businesses benefit from their wonderful regulations.

If a practice is beneficial to a business, you don't have to force them to do it, they'd want to do it. You can easily persuade them to do it. And if you can't persuade them, if you must force them, then maybe it's not so beneficial for them.

Why are you afraid of freedom?

Old 05-15-2016, 02:56 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
If the Farmer's Market benefits, then why do they have to be forced into accepting EBT cards?

Liberals are always forcing businesses to do something, and then liberals say that businesses benefit from their wonderful regulations.

If a practice is beneficial to a business, you don't have to force them to do it, they'd want to do it. You can easily persuade them to do it. And if you can't persuade them, if you must force them, then maybe it's not so beneficial for them.

I'd love to know the cost of this program. I'm sure they'll brag about how the technology is FREE..at the cost of the stupid taxpayers!

Also , have you seen the high prices for produce at farmer's market?
Great have welfare recipients spend more on LESS food!

Oh..but..it's ORGANIC!

"there is very little scientific evidence to support any health benefits for organic products. In fact, there is growing evidence that a diet rich in organic products isn’t actually better for you."

Is organic food actually better? Here's what the science says

Almost every day now it seems this Mayor and city council is enacting bad policy like this which is a waste of the taxpayers money. It's negligent.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
All I know, is that I see far too many conveyor belts of groceries with crap and garbage on them, and then out comes the Golden EBT card. Pisses me off to no end.

Anytime I see someone using that card, then buying booze with cash, I bust them out in front of everyone. Unless they look like a gangbanger.
Why would you care?

What do you think being so mean about this solves?

You do realize this is bullying behavior and does not automatically get them a job or enough money to get of EBT?

And why are poor people harassed if they do drink? Wealthy people do cocaine and nobody goes after them.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

I'm not afraid of freedom. But it isn't FREE to EXCLUDE people from society. The government wouldn't have to FORCE the Farmer's Market to accept food stamps.

But to answer your question I'm perfectly free with the government FORCING businesses to accept all because of my family history. I am Black and all my grandparents could do was farm work and maid work(save as their slave grandparents). Only because of the civil rights legislation am I able to have a professional job and not have to do with they did.

There is absolutely NO harm to the Farmer's markets from being made to accept food stamps. Just like GROCERY stores have never complained about being forced to accept FOOD STAMPS.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Why would you care?

What do you think being so mean about this solves?

You do realize this is bullying behavior and does not automatically get them a job or enough money to get of EBT?

And why are poor people harassed if they do drink? Wealthy people do cocaine and nobody goes after them.
From the Cal Fresh website:

Quote:

The CalFresh Program, federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. The program issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores.

The CalFresh Program helps to improve the health and well-being of qualified households and individuals by providing them a means to meet their nutritional needs
The point of food stamps is to provide for nutritional needs, not to buy booze and cigarettes.

No one gets mad at wealthy people drinking because they AREN'T USING TAXPAYER FUNDS to pay for their binges.

Do you get it? Or are you still ok with poor people using food stamps how they please because they are using other people's money and not your own?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:14 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
From the Cal Fresh website:

The point of food stamps is to provide for nutritional needs, not to buy booze and cigarettes.
Dude. Why you hatin' on poor people who is trying to get some drank? Are you a devil or demon ready to jump into bed with Satan and tryna make a baby? You gonna go to hell if you talk about poor people like that.

No one gets mad at wealthy people drinking because they AREN'T USING TAXPAYER FUNDS to pay for their binges.
Corporations takin' your money and not payin' back. That's what you need to worry about, not some nickels. People tryna eat and drink, ok? Anyway, rich folks got what they have 'cause they stole it so when they drink its cause they drinking with my money.

Do you get it? Or are you still ok with poor people using food stamps how they please because they are using other people's money and not your own?

You owe that money man, pay up. Stop bein' a devil. And also middle class people using cocaine.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 AM

537 posts, read 446,407 times
Quote:
Wealthy people do cocaine and nobody goes after them.
Yuuuup... Even a lot of the middle class........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles