Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't get paid , it's a public service to reveal the terrible policies of the city and how they are blowing tax payer money .
I need to get paid. Bring it. Sadly, I have to grind to earn my wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I need to get paid. Bring it. Sadly, I have to grind to earn my wages.
Yes , I know ! Where do we sign up ? Sounds like a sweet gig !

Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How many of the people selling their own produce in L.A. would just go somewhere else if they are not already set up to do mobile charges? Would the fees eat into their profit enough that it would no longer be worth their time to sell a few tomatoes and green beans? That was the point of my original post.

The poster I responded to said NYC, not NY state. I have a suspicion that the price of real estate in NYC would preclude many people from growing small amounts of veggies to sell. There may be pocket gardens and even rooftop gardens but I would be surprised if there are enough of those for commercial purposes.

I have traveled a bit. I've even been to L.A. Had a great visit with a cousin who used to live there. She's moved to Georgia though. I just got back from upstate NY, where I spent a lovely Mother's Day weekend with my MIL and assorted other in-laws. SIL and her hubby have a house on some acreage out in the country and plant a large garden each year. There are cornfields nearby and even a produce market not far from them that takes credit cards. That market is not what I understand as a "farmer's market", though. The owners do sell some of their own produce, but they are commercial farmers.

DH, transplanted from upstate NY, is now a gun toting Georgian but not a redneck. He will have nothing to do with trying to grow anything and does not spend much time outdoors. I am not a gun toter but I do spend some time outdoors in the yard and have been known to get a red neck on occasion. I come from a long line of Georgia rednecks. They were farmers who grew food. For themselves. And to sell for others. One grandfather ran a dairy. He died young, from a heart attack while chasing a cow. I do not know whether any of them toted guns, though, except during military service, going back to the Revolutionary War.
Visiting somewhere isn't living there.

I go to a few Farmer's Markets here, one of them is South Pasadena(which is not City of LA), the people who attend them I'm going to take a wild guess and say they aren't getting EBT. And the farmers who come in are from places like Ventura County. I know because I talk to them.

My comments about rednecks was to point out that painting any area with a broad brush is wrong. You visting LA once(and probably not going to a Farmer's Market) doesn't give you an understanding of a place.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:22 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Visiting somewhere isn't living there.

I go to a few Farmer's Markets here, one of them is South Pasadena(which is not City of LA), the people who attend them I'm going to take a wild guess and say they aren't getting EBT. And the farmers who come in are from places like Ventura County. I know because I talk to them.

My comments about rednecks was to point out that painting any area with a broad brush is wrong. You visting LA once(and probably not going to a Farmer's Market) doesn't give you an understanding of a place.
Boy, you are really reading a lot into my comments that was not there. I never claimed to have an "understanding" of LA. Sheesh.

Again the only point I made was that some vendors at small farmer's markets might find the cost of taking any cards that generate fees - credit, debit, or EBT - to be enough of an expense to take their produce somewhere else and sell it.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:17 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'll bite. When my parents got here many decades ago, in Southern California, they witnessed a single mother buying food with food stamps. She hid her paperwork so as to conceal what she was using as payment and kept her head down, as though she was embarrassed. One lady in the line noticed and said something along the lines of, "You needn't be embarrassed. It's ok dear, you will pull out of this. I am sure of it." According to my mom, the woman raised her head, turned toward the lady and said something along the lines of "Thank you. You are too kind. I am going through a bad spell now, but I will soon get back on my feet."

This exchange left a great impression on my parents. Laugh if you want to.
This is anecdotal and I've seen a million similar interactions in today's world. The world wasn't a better place "back in the day" either, it was just easier for privileged white folk who were blind to the amount of societal issues that those less fortunate were experiencing. There are several other reasons to believe we are much better off now, but I'll let Tulemutt school you guys on that when needed.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
This is anecdotal and I've seen a million similar interactions in today's world. The world wasn't a better place "back in the day" either, it was just easier for privileged white folk who were blind to the amount of societal issues that those less fortunate were experiencing. There are several other reasons to believe we are much better off now, but I'll let Tulemutt school you guys on that when needed.
Tulemutt school us ? That's a real knee slapper !

Old 05-16-2016, 05:23 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
The City of LA won't be happy until they can completely turn the city into a nanny state. It's complete BS that the city is forcing that upon businesses, they should be able to decide what payment form they will accept. So now these small business owners are forced to go out and buy equipment to deal with this silly thing. Every time I've gone to a farmers market it's always a cash only transaction, at least what I've seen.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:54 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The City of LA won't be happy until they can completely turn the city into a nanny state. It's complete BS that the city is forcing that upon businesses, they should be able to decide what payment form they will accept. So now these small business owners are forced to go out and buy equipment to deal with this silly thing. Every time I've gone to a farmers market it's always a cash only transaction, at least what I've seen.
This says there's only one point-of-service terminal at the farmers market, so individual vendors don't have to do this. The device is free.

http://goodfoodla.org/wp-content/upl.../EBT-FAQ-2.pdf

Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
My white parents were completely penniless upon arrival. Worse yet, they needed to pay back the airline costs for their respective flights. They toiled, saved, and then started a business to survive. So much for privilege.

You also completely missed the point of this exchange: humility, embarrassment and the temporary nature of the assistance.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:08 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,763,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There are entire countries who are currently transitioning into going completely cashless. The businesses who currently will only take cash will have to purchase probably no more than 1-2 CC terminals, which will be paid for many times over by the uptick in business that they are almost garaunteed to experience with such a shift.

So, I understand the principle of "forcing" a business to do something, but I couldn't care less in a situation where it will, in fact, help said business in the long term. On a personal level, I absolutely hate it when someone rejects something, even something that would objectively benefit them, purely based on petty principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles