Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2019, 05:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commonproject View Post
How are you supposed to recover from that lol. Literally PTSD for rest of your life
Let me tell you one time, I was trying to snake the main drains of one of my companies buildings. One of the handyman tried to remove a huge pipe in the basement to make things easier. I not standing in the right place, and all this water poured on me.

This is main drain water so tub, sinks, and toilet flush is all in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 08:05 AM

639 posts, read 1,072,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nati...564585101.html

Woman gets diarrhea poured on head, and must seek medical attention for next three months as preventative measure.

Boy o boy this is bad. I have seen some graphs that show NYC has more homeless than LA County, but I am certainly not "feeling" that over here in NYC. The amount of homeless I see here is not enough to make me feel like there is too many.

I think the worst we have in NYC is some homeless pushing pedestrians onto oncoming subway.
You make it sound like getting pushed in front of an oncoming subway is no big deal. If you get diarrhea poured on you, at least you don't die.

Or you can move to Chicago where you get snowstorms starting at the end of October, temperatures in the single digits by early November, and temperatures of -23 in January (All three have happened this year). Then the homeless either get out of town or scurry underground onto Lower Wacker drive. Either way you won't get shoved in front of a train or get diarrhea poured on you. If they tried to do the latter it would just freeze and it wouldn't work.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:58 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
A Santa Ana couple hosts homeless people from an Anaheim shelter at their home.

"....the dinners also are about something deeper.

They’re about straightforward, human-to-human offerings of encouragement, help and hope. Because not everything can come from a government program."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...people-dignity

Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 AM

330 posts, read 178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A Santa Ana couple hosts homeless people from an Anaheim shelter at their home.

"....the dinners also are about something deeper.

They’re about straightforward, human-to-human offerings of encouragement, help and hope. Because not everything can come from a government program."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...people-dignity
That's cool - rewarding bad choices with a decadent meal.

It would be nicer if they had hosted a party for some poor working-class folks. But, hey, their money, their choice.

And, how did the guy who worked for 25 years become homeless if he was paying taxes? Wouldn't he have earned disability and be eligible for Medicaid?

I don't know anybody who ever became homeless because of medical issues or died from being denied treatment.
I think a lot of these people are full of it.

Last edited by delunsa; 11-17-2019 at 07:16 AM..

Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
I was riding a LA City bus and a homeless woman started shouting, the driver stopped the bus, opened the doors and told her to get out. She didn't so the driver told her to be quiet or she would call the police.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:06 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,655,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"The news came in September: Long Beach Residential, a 49-bed home for adults who are mentally ill, was being sold. The residents of the converted apartment building, some of whom had lived there for decades, would have 60 days to move.

It’s a scenario that is becoming increasingly common across California, brought on by a combination of an inadequate state funding system and California’s red hot real estate market."

These homes keep L.A.’s most vulnerable from becoming homeless. Now they’re closing:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mental-illness
That's sad, infuriating and discouraging all at the same time.

Spend just 1 minutes looking through the following list: https://www.ca.gov/agenciesall/

Just imagine closing some of these lower-value state agencies and redirecting their budgets to keep places such as Long Beach Residential open and fully staffed.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:20 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
That's cool - rewarding bad choices with a decadent meal.

It would be nicer if they had hosted a party for some poor working-class folks. But, hey, their money, their choice.

And, how did the guy who worked for 25 years become homeless if he was paying taxes? Wouldn't he have earned disability and be eligible for Medicaid?

I don't know anybody who ever became homeless because of medical issues or died from being denied treatment.

I think a lot of these people are full of it.
And who you, anonymous forum poster, know personally is the defining metric of causes of a million cases of homelessness? Lol.

“Medical issues” is among the most frequent reasons cited for becoming homeless. Would you like statistics on that? This thread is peppered with examples and research to prove. Look it up for yourself. Start by researching bankruptcies resulting from people becoming overwhelmed by medical bills.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:25 AM

330 posts, read 178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And who you, anonymous forum poster, know personally is the defining metric of causes of a million cases of homelessness? Lol.

“Medical issues” is among the most frequent reasons cited for becoming homeless. Would you like statistics on that? This thread is peppered with examples and research to prove. Look it up for yourself. Start by researching bankruptcies resulting from people becoming overwhelmed by medical bills.
Stop being so naïve.
People lie to cover up their bad choices.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:49 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Since when does Medicaid pay the rent?

Old 11-17-2019, 09:50 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Stop being so naïve.
People lie to cover up their bad choices.

1. Sources of information revealing why people become homeless are not limited to self-reporting (where “lies” would come into play).

2. Lying about why one became homeless is not a valuable tool - because assistance for the homeless is never predicated on the cause. Stated again another way: The reason a person becomes homeless is meaningless to available services... get it?

3. “Bad choices” is also immaterial to the material fact that - whatever the reason - there they are, in your (and my) way on the street. Unless you are motivated to overturn the constitution of this great nation, homelessness is not illegal ... and genocide is - so you can’t kill them. Nor is it legal to round them up against their will in absence of conviction for imprisonable level crime. Thus your moral judgements are also meaningless with regard to problem-solving, and amount to simple whining.

4. SSDI is not sufficient income in the LA region to support oneself with housing, sustenance, let alone adding in any medical expenses.

As for “naive”, your comments are poster-child perfect for that condition relative to this topic. (And I have directly assisted many veterans, and others, with housing, medical, and benefits acquisition for over 30 years.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles