Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times

Advertisements

Columnist Steve Lopez writes about L.A. residents' reactions to the problem of increasing homelessness.

"Four months ago, I was added to an email list residents set up to air their grievances about the camps near Carlos and Tamarind avenues. It included police officers, Mayor Eric Garcetti, Councilman Mitch O’Farrell and others. Residents sent photos, recordings and first-person accounts to back up their claims that they were under siege."

Column: ‘You have no idea the hell I was living’: When an L.A. homeless camp rises outside your window:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-perspectives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 10:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1. Sources of information revealing why people become homeless are not limited to self-reporting (where “lies” would come into play).

2. Lying about why one became homeless is not a valuable tool - because assistance for the homeless is never predicated on the cause. Stated again another way: The reason a person becomes homeless is meaningless to available services... get it?

3. “Bad choices” is also immaterial to the material fact that - whatever the reason - there they are, in your (and my) way on the street. Unless you are motivated to overturn the constitution of this great nation, homelessness is not illegal ... and genocide is - so you can’t kill them. Nor is it legal to round them up against their will in absence of conviction for imprisonable level crime. Thus your moral judgements are also meaningless with regard to problem-solving, and amount to simple whining.

4. SSDI is not sufficient income in the LA region to support oneself with housing, sustenance, let alone adding in any medical expenses.

As for “naive”, your comments are poster-child perfect for that condition relative to this topic. (And I have directly assisted many veterans, and others, with housing, medical, and benefits acquisition for over 30 years.)
I don’t understand why you keep apologizing and being deceitful about what causes homelessness and what can be done to reduce it.

The simple fact is that at the height of the depression in 2010, there were more shelter beds in LA County than homeless people who would use them.

None of the surrounding cities have anywhere near the issue that City of LA does

The homeless population has likely more than tripled since then. It’s not medical bills, it’s not rents. It’s mentally ill drug addicts who have been given the opportunity to live in tents by a city that no longer makes arrests for low level crimes, and allows homeless to live on the streets unfettered.

Same exact thing in San Francisco.

The city and state government have really effed this one up as exemplified by City of LA failing to make proper use of $1.2 billion dollars, primarily due to the leftist morons who sit on the board deciding how that money is spent and choosing to spend nearly $700k a unit so that the few lucky ones have luxury surroundings so they don’t feel bad about themselves..

Old 11-17-2019, 10:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Columnist Steve Lopez writes about L.A. residents' reactions to the problem of increasing homelessness.

"Four months ago, I was added to an email list residents set up to air their grievances about the camps near Carlos and Tamarind avenues. It included police officers, Mayor Eric Garcetti, Councilman Mitch O’Farrell and others. Residents sent photos, recordings and first-person accounts to back up their claims that they were under siege."

Column: ‘You have no idea the hell I was living’: When an L.A. homeless camp rises outside your window:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-perspectives
That’s the rich people. You should see the crap that goes on south of the 10 fwy. There’s an abundance of homeless encampments literally on top of residences.

I invite anyone to exit the 110 south onto Flower at 51st and drive along Flower for a couple miles. You can see the devastation wreaked upon the community by policies and politicians that Tulemutt supports.

Literally zero of that homeless population and encampment existed even 5 years ago.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:27 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I don’t understand why you keep apologizing and being deceitful about what causes homelessness and what can be done to reduce it.

The simple fact is that at the height of the depression in 2010, there were more shelter beds in LA County than homeless people who would use them.

None of the surrounding cities have anywhere near the issue that City of LA does

The homeless population has likely more than tripled since then. It’s not medical bills, it’s not rents. It’s mentally ill drug addicts who have been given the opportunity to live in tents by a city that no longer makes arrests for low level crimes, and allows homeless to live on the streets unfettered.

Same exact thing in San Francisco.

The city and state government have really effed this one up as exemplified by City of LA failing to make proper use of $1.2 billion dollars, primarily due to the leftist morons who sit on the board deciding how that money is spent and choosing to spend nearly $700k a unit so that the few lucky ones have luxury surroundings so they don’t feel bad about themselves..
There are no “apologies” in my posts on this topic. Just factual reporting and corrections of myths.

The primary reason for all homelessness is rents. 99% of those people would love to have at least a room. Just not under the conditions most LA sheltering offers. Whether you agree with the decisions of the homeless to opt for the streets over the shelter beds that do exist, or not - inability to pay rent is absolutely the reason those people have ended up on the street.

“Mentally ill drug addicts” are a considerable percentage of chronic street homeless, but do not make up the majority of homeless as you generalize them. This is not a statement of apology. This is a statement of fact. You are not educated in your topic.

California cities have, indeed, failed their responsibility to provide shelter venues for the homeless though. In that you are correct.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
That’s the rich people. You should see the crap that goes on south of the 10 fwy. There’s an abundance of homeless encampments literally on top of residences.

I invite anyone to exit the 110 south onto Flower at 51st and drive along Flower for a couple miles. You can see the devastation wreaked upon the community by policies and politicians that Tulemutt supports.

Literally zero of that homeless population and encampment existed even 5 years ago.
You have no idea which politicians I support. Nor which policies, other than Housing First, and policies that conform to constitutionally supported, mandated laws.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
That's sad, infuriating and discouraging all at the same time.

Spend just 1 minutes looking through the following list: https://www.ca.gov/agenciesall/

Just imagine closing some of these lower-value state agencies and redirecting their budgets to keep places such as Long Beach Residential open and fully staffed.
You're right.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:00 PM

330 posts, read 178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Since when does Medicaid pay the rent?
It doesn't, but disability benefits would.

I've been working and paying taxes for 30+ years. If I get hurt I'll get enough from disability to keep a roof over my head and eat.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:

4. SSDI is not sufficient income in the LA region to support oneself with housing, sustenance, let alone adding in any medical expenses.
Then move somewhere where it's enough to support yourself.

Or is it that these people just really need to be near the beach and in the beautiful climate?

Last edited by delunsa; 11-17-2019 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
There are no “apologies” in my posts on this topic. Just factual reporting and corrections of myths.

The primary reason for all homelessness is rents. 99% of those people would love to have at least a room. Just not under the conditions most LA sheltering offers. Whether you agree with the decisions of the homeless to opt for the streets over the shelter beds that do exist, or not - inability to pay rent is absolutely the reason those people have ended up on the street.

“Mentally ill drug addicts” are a considerable percentage of chronic street homeless, but do not make up the majority of homeless as you generalize them. This is not a statement of apology. This is a statement of fact. You are not educated in your topic.

California cities have, indeed, failed their responsibility to provide shelter venues for the homeless though. In that you are correct.
George Costanza said "Just remember, Jerry ... It's not a lie ... if YOU believe it."

That's what seems to be going on with you.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
Then move somewhere where it's enough to support yourself.

Or is it these people just really need to be near the beach and in the beautiful climate?
65% of “these people” have called LA home for over 20 years. Many for their entire lives. Another approximately 25% have called it home for 10-20 years. Many have family and friends and other connections (good and bad) in the area. Many hope to regain housing and employment. 75% of homeless DO rehouse in less than one year. Many of them also become employed again if they were ever out of work. It varies from time to time, but between 15% and over 30% ARE working either part or full time but not earning enough to rent or can’t qualify for a rental based on today’s landlord internet background checks.

Very few, less than 10%, are transient bums livin’ large, basking in the good life on the beach.

You sound envious. Frustrated you have to work? Give homelessness a try! Maybe you’ll love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles