Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:48 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post

For example, if they visit a ranch in Oklahoma, will they look down on the hard working farmers and find it disgusting to step out of their luxury car and be seen photographed helping to toss bales of hay into a rusty old pickup?

In general I have seen more pretentious types in Santa Monica, I am not sure why.
Are you friggen' kidding me? Mix the weather, palm trees, ocean and an area unlike anywhere else in the world and it draws people seeking beauty, wealth, and fame. Of course some place where people are striving for mediocrity, like Oklahoma, will be looked down upon. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:09 PM

73 posts, read 449,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
Are you friggen' kidding me? Mix the weather, palm trees, ocean and an area unlike anywhere else in the world and it draws people seeking beauty, wealth, and fame. Of course some place where people are striving for mediocrity, like Oklahoma, will be looked down upon. It's not rocket science.
See that proves there are pretentious people in LA. When I visit my father in Eastern Europe it's a lot of fun to go out in the countryside and see how people live. They have very little but they are happy. Also, often they do work hard, they just didn't have opportunities because of their environment.

I went to UCLA, have a very successful career, and live in a nice area of OC, but I'm not going to look down on anyone who is hard working and patriotic (except for the illegals who have no respect for the law, but that's another story altogether).

Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Having lived in Playa del Rey and worked in West LA...it's a very image driven area. Everyone wants to be an actor, they are very much caught up in the hollywood scene, and are a bit caught up in themselves.

I don't know I think that falls into the phony and pretentious category.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
See that proves there are pretentious people in LA.
If you had the money, wouldn't it be wise to make yourself feel wealthy and above-average?

Does it harm anyone? ..I don't think so.. well, maybe the inferior or depressed. Well, big deal.

Last edited by fashionablecowboy; 06-03-2007 at 02:12 AM..

Old 06-03-2007, 09:42 PM

56 posts, read 206,315 times
Quote:
Just because people live modestly and don't go out of their way to flaunt their wealth does not make califonia better than oklahoma. I have also seen more pretty ladies here than in california, so maybe they should come here instead. As far as area unlike anywhere in the world, you must mean the most polluted air in the developed world, ask any scientist in the field of environmental studies and they will tell you that the beaches/ocean there is real polluted which is like coasts all around the country, NYC has more wealth than LA could ever dream of! So basically you are left with an environmentally precarious, pretentious overpriced and way overdeveloped area!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 PM

56 posts, read 206,315 times
Quote:
If you had the money, wouldn't it be wise to make yourself feel wealthy and above-average?

Does it harm anyone? ..I don't think so.. well, maybe the inferior or depressed. Well, big deal.
Money is the root of all evil, it should not influence how you feel about yourself. My grandfather fought in WW 2 and was a bricklayer until he retired never had much money, but raised five children, inc. my dad and is the person I respect more than anyone else, except maybe my parents. He did not need $ to be happy and feen good, that comes from within. Money can't buy you character or self esteem. Myself, I am a senior at a great university and live modestly.I visited south california several times with friends (driving my station wagon at the time) and did not feel inferior to anyone. Why? because I look great, am in great shape and carry myself well, and many girls out there liked us because of it. I guess my point is that we in this country have to realize that you can live a wonderful and fulfilling life without endlessly worrying about and worshipping the almighty dollar!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,203,422 times
Maybe it's where you live.I live in the San Gabriel Valley.We don't have the excitement you have.The only area is in Pasadena.I would go down there for some fun.Other than that it's boring.Lot's of chinese food though. I am missing out on the new stuff.There are phony people everywhere. Just live with it!

Last edited by VillageLife; 06-03-2007 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: topic is about being phony

Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies07 View Post
Money is the root of all evil, it should not influence how you feel about yourself. My grandfather fought in WW 2 and was a bricklayer until he retired never had much money, but raised five children, inc. my dad and is the person I respect more than anyone else, except maybe my parents. He did not need $ to be happy and feen good, that comes from within. Money can't buy you character or self esteem. Myself, I am a senior at a great university and live modestly.I visited south california several times with friends (driving my station wagon at the time) and did not feel inferior to anyone. Why? because I look great, am in great shape and carry myself well, and many girls out there liked us because of it. I guess my point is that we in this country have to realize that you can live a wonderful and fulfilling life without endlessly worrying about and worshipping the almighty dollar!!!
I just wanted to say that I liked and agree with your post. So if having money should make you feel wealthy and above average, how should you feel if you lost it all? Wrapping up your self esteem in your net worth and possessions you own, in my opinion, is a recipe for disaster. If you feel great about yourself without wealth and material objects, to me you are already wealthy and that is something you cannot buy.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 PM

42 posts, read 249,361 times
It depends what you mean by phony. Whenever I go back to SoCal, I feel right at home because I feel like people are for real like me (probably cause I can relate to them)..whereas living here in Tennessee, I feel like people are phony as hell. So really it's all perspective...

I just think Americans are phony in general, whereas Continental Europeans, for example, tend to be more direct about their feelings and intentions. Of course there are other aspects where the opposite is true, but I'm only talking about conversing with everyday-people and having relationships.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:08 PM

63 posts, read 252,974 times
I had to respond to the statement that "money is the root of all evil." I don't agree at all. Like I mentioned before, my folks are wealthy, but they're not evil, nor are they're friends evil (or snobbish, phony, pretentious). I think people who lable wealthy people as such, are just either jealous, or hate the fact that there are people winning in the game of life more than they are.

It's everywhere I go (outside) of wealthy areas. For example, I had went to Ikea with my mother. When we were loading our stuff in my mother's Range Rover...people were giving us the eye, as if we were their enemies.

I though to myself, "these people are either jealous, or they hate the fact that we're in a Range Rover and they're not."

Sorry, but I love being in a financially blessed position in life... And the correct statement is "the love of money is the root of all evil," which I agree with, because if you are in love with money, then you'll do anything to get it.

Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles