Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 06:57 AM

4 posts, read 24,301 times

Advertisements

Jeffery T:

If I remember correctly, the original Cunninghams was on Breckenridge Street, not too far from downtown. You could go in and have your own private little room, with the best fish in town!

Johanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,573 times
Default More

Almart
Knox theater
Uptown theater
Farrells Ice Cream
Sunset East
Deddens Highland Fling
Butchertown Pub
Western Auto
Marios Pizza
Momma Grisantis
Showcase Cinemas
Parkmoor Lanes
Peewee Reese Lanes
Mid City Mall Lanes
Sandys Restaurant
Burger Chef

Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,052 times
Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant in Bowman Field? I went there in 1975 for a prom dinner. I remember perhaps a tropical theme and fishing nets hanging from the ceiling.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:06 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfrog View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant in Bowman Field? I went there in 1975 for a prom dinner. I remember perhaps a tropical theme and fishing nets hanging from the ceiling.
The only other restaurant I can remember at Bowman Field was a Chinese place called Hoe Kow.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,507 times
My mom could sure take you Portland and Shawnee folks on a trip down memory lane. I'm real familiar with 33rd in the rear which was fairly dead in the 70's but I don't recognize it today. I loved the portland library and I walked up the back alley entrance to Kroger and Super X all the time to go to the grocery for grandmother. There was a vacant lot there on 33rd that we cut grass on and tended for a Louisville Policeman and it had an apple and cherry tree on it. Wow those cherries were delicious, nice and tart and made great topping for vanilla or the 3 flavor ice cream. I used to make a bunch of change helping folks with groceries at Kroger. I didn't ask, I just helped and they gave it to you. I'm sure the new Kroger is nicer though but it was a neighborhood store like the one in highview that moved. They also had the Huge bus terminal there where the city busses- now tarc turned around the ring of yellow bumper poles and parked. Many of the old bars which I guess were also speak easy's were businesses the last time I went by there. The big Blue and white Northern van lines trucks parked in front of the building there on N. 33rd. When I was a kid they let you get a coke in a bottle at the bar on N. 33rd. with the Oretel's 92 sign and the one across from the library. That area is so close to the river that the soil is perfect for growing anything. It's black just like potting soil and my grandmother had a great garden and grew huge gords there. She told a Fountain Ferry story of a woman that was in the tunnel of Love with a boyfriend and asked him to quit pinching her in the back. After the ride the woman was dead from a snake that was found under her in the boat. I don't know if it was true or not. I have an older brother that worked at Fountain Ferry after it became River Glen Park and he walked the park cleaning and replacing light and other maintenance. My mother and father say they fell in love on the roller coaster - the comet?
I was more of a mall walker myself as a teen and used to go to the one closer to me - Jefferson and buy all the latest hot fashions at the stores and I loved shillito's. The young men's section was in the back or near one of the entrances that I think they have changed two or three times to other departments. I loved walking up the long circular ramp to the dressing room with all the clothes I was going to try on. I also shopped at Merry Go Round and had to get an Orange Julius every time down by Burger King but I think it moved to a different spot.
I walked all the malls down the middle and often shopped and had bags with me on every trip. I haven't been to the 2 big ones in years and I think I went and got a poker top at Sears out there a few years ago but I miss going round and looking in the windows at all the clothes. I even stomped the galleria when it opened. I went time and time again. I just settle for grabbing what I need a JM now but I hate to see what has become of those great tributes to the consumer. The stores were great back in the 70's at Oxmoor and D' Mall at St. Mathews and they really cared about thier window dressings that always caught my eyes. A funny thing, there was this older cool guy like me from my high school back then with long hair perfect and the coolest 70's attire kinda reminded you of Andy Gibb. I ran into him it seemed like all the tme at the malls it was coincidental but uncanny. We never really spoke but clearly had similar tastes and acknowledged each other or said hi a few times because we knew what we each were doing there at how we stopped at the windows and checked the latest fashions like travolta in Saturday Night Live - kinda. but I could tell his budget wasn't as good as mine because I worked all through high school and did great as a table busser at a plainview restaurant and I wore ALL new clothes - the rayon stuff and with all the glasses and fancy accessories. I still have some of that junk and may get it out and try it on again this summer. Louisville's so big now I'd never see anyone I knew from high school.

Last edited by Kenman; 05-10-2010 at 12:53 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,938 times
my grandpa and uncle owned the lums i dont remember much about it though, thought one was on dixie too. Oh yeah Heywoods dairy was great, me and my sister would ride our bikes all the way down skyblue to get a milkshake, then go bug the guy who was a welder behind the barber shop....wow those sure were the days

Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,938 times
Default lums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Ah yes, Lums. Hot dogs steamed in beer. And the origin of the Ollie burger I believe.
My grandpa and uncle owned lums , a long time ago

Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,137 times
I was trying to remember some of the stores around the Bonnycastle area. Robert Hall's, perhaps? School bells ringing, children singing...

Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfrog View Post

Le Relais is the great restaurant in Bowman Field, but it hasn't had a tropical theme.
Welcome to Le Relais Restaurant – Louisville, Kentucky

Could you be thinking of the Luau Room? It used to be at the airport as well, but the other one, I think.
Luau Room, Louisville | Critiki

Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 AM

4 posts, read 24,301 times
Yes, it was the Luau Room - real nice restaurant with the Hawaiian type food. I think it was there for quite a few years. Johanna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area