Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

Shawnee shooting victim identified | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal

Some of these murders look like hits to me

NOV 27: Eugene C. Staten, 25, Black male, shot 5 times while walking on 43rd Street

NOV 26: Michael Bland, 27, Black male, shot 5 times while driving at 35th & Broadway

NOV 26: Versellias Hammond, 32, Black male, shot 4 times while walking down Greenwood Ave @ 22nd Street

NOV 25: Mohamed Abdelrahman, 32, native of Sudan, shot 2 times while his store was robbed at 22nd & Lytle Street in Portland

NOV 23: Natasha Sutton, 27, Black female, shot by boyfriend on Shady Villa Dr

NOV 22: Montez Stewart, 25, Black male, shot 3 times after a fight on Bolling Ave

Old 11-29-2008, 02:38 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
No, IMO Louisville doesn't have a gang problem, it has an attitude problem. You can take any aspect of these murders, from drugs to turf, to even education, lack of fathers in the home, poverty, greed, and community organizers such as the late Louis Coleman, hamstringing the police.

The terrible part of all this, home values in the areas where the murders occur are near depression value only because of crime. These mostly young black men are so undisciplined that they are destroying the very thing they want most. So, no, its not gangs, gangs are only a symptom of the living standards of the murder zones.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 PM

257 posts, read 881,544 times
that is so right tomocox. as much as i'd like to see western louisville cleaned up, i just don't think it is ever going to happen.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
No, IMO Louisville doesn't have a gang problem, it has an attitude problem. You can take any aspect of these murders, from drugs to turf, to even education, lack of fathers in the home, poverty, greed, and community organizers such as the late Louis Coleman, hamstringing the police.

The terrible part of all this, home values in the areas where the murders occur are near depression value only because of crime. These mostly young black men are so undisciplined that they are destroying the very thing they want most. So, no, its not gangs, gangs are only a symptom of the living standards of the murder zones.
I second that completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
that is so right tomocox. as much as i'd like to see western louisville cleaned up, i just don't think it is ever going to happen.
What Louisville...and Lexington, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville, Memphis, Birmingham, Pittsburgh, and other cities that have an "attitude" and not a "gang" problem need is Giuliani-like crime leadership.

I'm not comparing L'ville to NYC, so I realize this is an extreme example. In 1990, there were 2245 murders in New York City and 17 deaths related to shootings in 1989 or prior. So, there were 2262 accounted for murder-related deaths in NYC that year. That's not counting (a) murders downgraded to manslaughter by NYPD and (b) non-reported murders by drug lords and mafia men where bodies could've easily been thrown into the Hudson River and Long Island Sound. NYC had a HUGE attitude problem that year. Then-Mayor Dinkins secured a lot of fed. funding to secure more police officers and even hired Chief Bratton who introduced CompStat; starting in 1994, though, it was Giuliani, that was the major force in getting CompStat and "Broken Windows" rule implemented. Oh, and Giuliani as a U.S. District Attorney for the Southern District of N.Y. in the 1980s was very instrumental in prosecuting chief mafia leaders and locking them up.

Last year, NYC had murder rate much lower than ANY Midwestern city, including Louisville.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 11-29-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM

31 posts, read 93,989 times
Louisville's crime rate is unacceptably high and not all crimes are on the west end. I am thinking of moving and one of the reasons is crime.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
for us reading CDF yes it does. but its got to be a problem for the people that live there, when it is, it will change.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
Over Thanksgiving my ma was telling me that she was waiting in the checkout at the store and that all the women in that line, and the checker were robbed at one time or another.

This was totally random, but that this was the case should tell you Louisville does have a crime problem, which includes the suburbs and the city.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Make that 7 in 7 days

Man's body found in car trunk near Shively | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Six African-Americans, one Hispanic dead. All shot in majority-minority (and majority African-American at that) areas in western and southern Jefferson County. There is an attitude problem prevalent in low-income minority communities all across America; this attitude problem has stemmed the gang problems seen in SoCal, ATL, NYC, Chicago, Phoenix, etc.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 AM

87 posts, read 267,398 times
i just recently moved from Saginaw, Michigan. Fortunately, saginaw isn't large enough to qualify as a major city...but if it did, it would be classified as the most dangerous major city in the nation. it seems that the west side of Louisville (from what i have heard) has a very similar problem to what i saw there.

i agree completely with tomocox...it's an attitude problem. unfortunately, this leads to gang activity in a lot of cases. there seems to be a lack of pride in "home". maybe that's incorrect, but at the very least, it's a case of misplaced pride in "home". it's very easy to qualify it as a gang problem, but that's the end result. the true problem starts much deeper.

as long as it's viewed as a "gang problem", it won't get any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area