Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:48 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I've always thought that there were three causes for the high cancer rates in Maine (other than smoking and drinking... which we do a lot of):...
You say 'high', and at least for me when I hear 'high' I think of high as in high enough to be more than a statistical anomaly. High enough to be noticed.

An over all cancer risk of 522.6 out of 100k; 0.52%, is 1/2 of 1% chance

The difference between cancer rates in Maine and cancer rates anywhere else is tiny.

In the case of some types of cancer, Maine has a tiny higher rate, and in other types of cancer Maine has a lower rate.

Not all cancer rates are higher in Maine, some cancers are lower in Maine.

Florida also has rates above the national average for Skin and Oral cancers. Their oral cancer rate stands above Maine's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 AM

399 posts, read 854,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I've always thought that there were three causes for the high cancer rates in Maine (other than smoking and drinking... which we do a lot of):
1) Most of our rivers are/ or were used as sewers for towns and industry. Many of us get our drinking water from these rivers.
2) Agricultural chemical use that has worked its way into almost every well in the state (to some level).
3) Coal fired electricity generators in the Midwest that have be dumping crap on us for decades. This stuff kills our trees and fish, and can't be helping us any.

I think this is a good point being made regarding our environment and the effects it has on the human body. But I also think there are many other factors that encourage the development of certain cancers such as processed foods and genetics as well as other factors we do not fully understand as yet. Last year at this time I had a bout with kidney cancer. I was a smoker and feel that my smoking directly caused the cancer (research certainly pointed in that direction) however both my parents and my brother also had cancer. With the men it was prostate cancer (they never smoked) and my mother had lymphoma (she did smoke). We lived in an area that did not have an above average percentage of people with the disease. I think man-made chemicals definitely play a part and are extremely dangerous but also believe there are many other lifestyle factors not recognized as yet that contribute to the mutation. My cancer came out of nowhere. No one in my family ever suffered kidney problems. Yet there it was growing like a little mushroom out of the top of my kidney. It was stage one and removed. Hopefully, as the doctor has advised, some small molecule has not escaped and will show up again in a few years. So the question is what can we do to try to stay cancer free? Is it the food? the environment? our genes? our lifestyles? or all of the above?

Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM

75 posts, read 196,849 times
I've had cancer in my family. I've also had obesity and smoking. I am beyond the age that obesity hits, and I have never smoked. I have managed to stay healthy by:

-Avoiding traditional medicines of any kind with the exception of aspirin and ibuprofen. I will occasionally take a sinus otc 1-2 time per year, but would rather suffer through it and allow my body to develop a tolerance which takes a week or two. If I do need to treat something I tend to look at natural remedies. Having read about ethnobotany I learned that pharmaceutical companies will find a plant derivative, isolate it, but leave the "helper" chemicals in the plant that tend to remove the side effects.

-Do not eat meat, or rather beef, chicken, or pork. Our agribusinesses are out to make the highest profit with the least expense. This means poor feed and lots of chemicals....when then ends up in us. I do eat fish, but accept the trace mercury I'm eating unfortunately. I feel the unhealthy nature of the rest are worse than the fish. The exception to the rule is the grassfed, local organic beef/chicken/pork. I also have eggs, from free range chickens 100' from where I type this.

-Do not wash your hand, do not use anti-bacterial products, and don't be super clean. This is the exception to exposure to chemicals or raw meat. Day to day exposure to bacteria will improve your immune system and keep it in tune. Illnesses will be fewer and less severe. I have not had a flue shot in 8 years following getting one and getting a bad flu. I have not had a cold since then either. The only time I wash my hands is when I take a shower at night.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I think this is a good point being made regarding our environment and the effects it has on the human body. But I also think there are many other factors that encourage the development of certain cancers such as processed foods and genetics as well as other factors we do not fully understand as yet. Last year at this time I had a bout with kidney cancer. I was a smoker and feel that my smoking directly caused the cancer (research certainly pointed in that direction) however both my parents and my brother also had cancer. With the men it was prostate cancer (they never smoked) and my mother had lymphoma (she did smoke). We lived in an area that did not have an above average percentage of people with the disease. I think man-made chemicals definitely play a part and are extremely dangerous but also believe there are many other lifestyle factors not recognized as yet that contribute to the mutation. My cancer came out of nowhere. No one in my family ever suffered kidney problems. Yet there it was growing like a little mushroom out of the top of my kidney. It was stage one and removed. Hopefully, as the doctor has advised, some small molecule has not escaped and will show up again in a few years. So the question is what can we do to try to stay cancer free? Is it the food? the environment? our genes? our lifestyles? or all of the above?
Modern man has developed many modern diseases.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:49 PM

I watched a documentary about how AIDS was created by modern man and vaccines. It was called the Origins of AIDs

http://www.documentary-film.net/sear...now.php?&ref=5

Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 PM

I recently watched a documentary on how Cuba survived 'peak oil'. [When the Soviet Union fell, Cuba lost all oil imports] They had been focused on manufacturing tractors, but without oil their factories stopped. Without manufacturing they could no longer import frozen foods.

At one time their diet pretty much mirrored the US diet: frozen pre-packaged ready to eat meals, GM corn, processed wheat and refined sugar type junk foods. Their national health issues also mirrored the USA: obesity, diabetes, heart disease.

They imported millions of bicycles to replace the automobiles [that no longer had fuel].

Everyone focused on gardening, and they ran community classes on how to do organic gardening and on how to cook using fresh veggies.

Ten years later the modern diseases are no longer found anywhere among Cubans. Obesity, diabetes, and heart disease all vanished.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,640 times
^ This is a very interesting point. While such huge lifestyle changes would be hard, there would likely be some great benefits.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:50 PM

399 posts, read 854,532 times
I think those lifestyle changes are difficult but totally possible. My oldest daughter, who lives with me, has totally changed her diet to mostly fruit, veggies, and fish. As a result she has lost much weight and looks really fit. She also had severe epilepsy which seems to be well controlled and she believes it is partly due to the food she eats. The problem with me, although I do eat some organic foods, is that it is difficult to go to a Whole Foods store and spend $9.00 a pound for hamburger. But knowledge has helped change all of our eating and living habits for the better and more exercise and better foods definitely make a huge difference.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I'm closing in on 50, no allergies, bp 115 over 70-, cholesterol is 160- just had a physical, blood work came out normal- the dr. said he's pay to have my stats-
, haven't had a cold/flu in years
is this nature or nurture??

If most of what we read was true- id have passed 10 years ago, with my diet

Ive seen too much suffering amongst those who shouldnt be sick/afflicted, life can be cruel paradox to many doing the right thing

I like my rib-eyes, blizzards, and burgers too much to give them up
and until people start approaching the obese folks at mcdonalds and tell them they are killing themselves- I dont want to hear it either

Last week, a long haired fruitloop was telling his friend at dunkin donuts how that donut is going to kill him, told him the bleached white flour, and all the other chemicals will fill him with cancer
as I walked out , I saw the same long haired know it all smoking a cigarrette!!????

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
I think those lifestyle changes are difficult but totally possible. My oldest daughter, who lives with me, has totally changed her diet to mostly fruit, veggies, and fish. As a result she has lost much weight and looks really fit. She also had severe epilepsy which seems to be well controlled and she believes it is partly due to the food she eats. The problem with me, although I do eat some organic foods, is that it is difficult to go to a Whole Foods store and spend $9.00 a pound for hamburger. But knowledge has helped change all of our eating and living habits for the better and more exercise and better foods definitely make a huge difference.
Our diet as well. It works well and keeps you healthy. On the $9lb hamburger; do you NEED more than a lb, how about a 1/2 lb. Don't use it as a primary dish, add it in with some potatoes, or stuffed peppers. In our culture meat is considered a staple, it reality it should be a luxury. I heard that years ago meat was a once a week occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine