Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

I sell my eggs for $3/dozen [Forest Freerange whites and browns, hard shells and dark orange yolks].

The local Hannafords has eggs going for 99cents/dozen. I know as I hear about Hannaford's prices every market day. I think that their eggs also go up to $2.50/dozen depending on brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I sell my eggs for $3/dozen [Forest Freerange whites and browns, hard shells and dark orange yolks].

The local Hannafords has eggs going for 99cents/dozen. I know as I hear about Hannaford's prices every market day. I think that their eggs also go up to $2.50/dozen depending on brand.
Sounds like a fair price to me. When I can get them I pay between $2 and $2.50 for a dozen from a local farmer here, but his are not free-range. They do at least get a chicken yard...

Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 PM

121 posts, read 320,731 times
Does anyone know what grocery prices are like at the Co-Op in Belfast?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Brown eggs are local eggs,

and local eggs are fresh!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Brown eggs are local eggs,

and local eggs are fresh!
LOL...I haven't heard that in years! Why can't our local birds lay white eggs anyway? Is this even true?

sigh...now that jingle is stuck in my head...who was the woman that sang that diddy?

Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,916 times
El,
I don't have a receipt from shopping, otherwise I would have added to this.

I shop at Hannaford. They have a decent organic section and the store is clean. I have no idea if it's the least expensive, but it is the most convenient to where I live.

In the summer I stopped at roadside stands for veggies and some fruit. I got some of the best corn I've ever tasted this summer.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:04 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
down here I shop primarily at Bell's IGA--the quality of their meat is far better than Shop n Save (here it's Paradis Shop & Save, not Hannaford, though the store brand is Hannaford--still haven't figured that one out!).....also the Perry Farmer's Union has good meat, but most of the time that's out of the way! I try to stay away from the big chains if I can, and stick with the little guys I will look for some store receipts in a bit, I'm not going to be doing any "big" shopping for a few days

The other thing about those little independents--lots of "unadvertised" specials!! Many times the "3 for $X", and if it's something you'll use, that's the time to get it!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:18 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Since Walmart is the only decent place to shop here, that's all I have to compare to. From what I see in the sales ads, your WM there is the same exact prices as ours here. Same ad, even. I wonder if prices throughout the store are also the same.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
hannaford i believe has the highest market share in maine of all supermarkets, they supply many grocery stores, that they dont own,,paradis and graves, up in the county and a handful of other independents,,,shaws is probly the runner-up, walmart is gaining ground in thier superstores, and because maine is a rural state, many iga's and shurfine stores do very well,,strong on customer service, and you dont have to walk half a mile or take 40 minutes picking up a few items..

a wise grocery shopper will shop the ads, stock up on what they like.

walmart, across the board has the cheapest grocery pricing in the aisles, but in the perimeter of the store, in the perishable departments, they leave much to be desired.

there's a new stopnshop in kennebunk (first one in maine) and from what i hear another one is coming in bangor)

of the supermarkets we do have in maine,,if i had to shop at one, i do lean towards hannaford (and not just because i own stock in them)

the operating costs of a store is always increasing, the energy costs alone have almost doubled in the past 5 yrs, not to mention the workers comp, taxes, etc,(so more and more stores try to increase thier margins where they think they can)
ive got a few neighborhood stores i like to patronize in the area i live in,,i try to get to know the employees and the owner,,i like the personal service and not waiting in line for a half-hour..if i have a special request,,,i can put a face to the confidence of product, if i call it in,,,that means alot to me.

the organics are growing in maine, more and more farmers markets are establishing themselves in more towns,,tho it does cost a bit more, most folks are willing to pay, feeling better about the product, and again,,putting a trusted face to the product they are buying,,and someone that can answer any question about the product.
im seeing more and more grass-fed meat being sold,,,tho if you arent use to it, it is an acquired taste

i enjoy seeing the farmers markets,,in a snapshot, they represent, hard work, ingenuity, and trade, some produce departments in supermarkets, have sales over 50,000 in just one week, thats over 2.5 million just in one store in one year,,,,id like to see more of that purchasing power go to local farmers.

foodservice (restaurants) also represent (on average) 30-50% of the food-dollar spent
i kinda think that percentage might be lower in maine, however, go to augusta and bangor on a weekend and most of the restaurants are full,which is fine,,,but my point being,,yes the , organics may be a bit more than supermarket produce,,but compared to eating at a restaurant, and cooking it yourself,,its still very very inexpensive per serving..

ive seen fresh haddock on sale from 3.99 -6.99 depends where it is,,
the burger that is very inexpensive (1.29) is usually 25-27% fat content) and by the time you cook it and the grease drains,,,30% of that 1.29 is waste and you actually end up paying much more for what you are eating..
with perishables, particularly meat,,ive seen many independent stores do better on price than the supermarkets,,, and, you can ask,,"what'll you do me for a price on.." any many times, they (independents) can reduce the price if you buy more) supermarkets cant do that. and the quality of the smaller indepent stores seem to be much better on meats, ive yet to hear anyone say "i go to walmart for my meats they are the best"
also with independents,,the local butchers will take the time with you,,if you have any questions,,or have special requests,,

i was at an independent store yesterday and they had boneless chicken breasts on sale at 1.48lb,,thats an awesome price, the supermarkets regular price is 3.59lb..

a wise shopper will look at price per pound,,,look at the retail on a rib-eye steak,,next time you visit a supermarket,,its 9.99lb unless its on sale!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
LOL...I haven't heard that in years! Why can't our local birds lay white eggs anyway? Is this even true?

sigh...now that jingle is stuck in my head...who was the woman that sang that diddy?
No, it's not true. I have blue and green egg layers. My main flock lays from dark brown to pale tan. Egg shell color is determined by genetics. I think Forest has white egg layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine