Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times

Advertisements

The truth is that Montgomery Co. is not the progessive, booming economy that it was in the 90's. However you can not deny its importance to the states overall economy. Since the rest of the states economic engine lies in Baltimore and her surrounding suburbs (Howard, Anne Arundel, Baltimore Co.) the region would do well to pull its resources for the entire state. I wouldn't mind if somehow we could "give away" P.G. county, but Montgomery and Baltimore City are the two most important jurisdictions in the state to just ignore.

I would rank MD's top 8 counties in terms of economic development, and importance as follows:

1. Montgomery
2. Baltimore City
3. Baltimore County
4. Anne Arundel County
5. Howard County
6. Prince George's County
7. Frederick County
8. Harford Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
The truth is that Montgomery Co. is not the progessive, booming economy that it was in the 90's. However you can not deny its importance to the states overall economy. Since the rest of the states economic engine lies in Baltimore and her surrounding suburbs (Howard, Anne Arundel, Baltimore Co.) the region would do well to pull its resources for the entire state. I wouldn't mind if somehow we could "give away" P.G. county, but Montgomery and Baltimore City are the two most important jurisdictions in the state to just ignore.

I would rank MD's top 8 counties in terms of economic development, and importance as follows:

1. Montgomery
2. Baltimore City
3. Baltimore County
4. Anne Arundel County
5. Howard County
7. Frederick County
8. Harford Co.
You left out St. Mary's. Yes it's rural. Yes it's remote (relatively). But a **** ton of money gets spent at PAX on R&D through both the Navy and contractors. If you want to see a collective tightening of public official sphincters in SoMD just mention that PAX could be up for BRAC.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You left out St. Mary's. Yes it's rural. Yes it's remote (relatively). But a **** ton of money gets spent at PAX on R&D through both the Navy and contractors. If you want to see a collective tightening of public official sphincters in SoMD just mention that PAX could be up for BRAC.
Good Point! I did not even think of that.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Why does the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland see a tax hike every time Montgomery County and Baltimore City need mass transit expansions? And that 1 billion dollar schools package to Baltimore City? Who pays for that?
You're kidding, right? 40% of the most recent income tax hike came from Montgomery County, who only saw 1/6 of it returned ($63 million paid, $10 million returned).

I should also say that I'm only supporting Montgomery County here because of the massive amount of money it sends to the state and the relatively low return it always gets. Baltimore City and PG are money pits.

And the real answer to that is because you live in a society and in a society money is pooled together for the greater good. The rural parts of this state get a disproportionate amount of money back compared to what little they pay in taxes.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
I should also say that I'm only supporting Montgomery County here because of the massive amount of money it sends to the state and the relatively low return it always gets.
Could you disambiguate that sentence please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
The rural parts of this state get a disproportionate amount of money back compared to what little they pay in taxes.
That could also be said of the red states vis-à-vis the blue states.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I think the rural areas CAN contribute more to the sstate if the state government allows them to, such as allowing population growth there which is banned under PlanMaryland, and allowing more natural gas drilling and lifting some of the restrictions on agriculture that Shore farmers must face that Virginia and Delaware farmers don't face.

I traveled to West Virginia this weekend. In fact Morgantown and Fairmont which are both in Appalachia plus Charleston WV are all doing better than Cumberland and are seeing more growth than Cumberland. I also stocked up on beer and cigarettes for myself and friends/family while I was in West Virginia and saved a lot of $$$ by doing so. I also filled up my gas before leaving WV. In fact West Virginians love O'Malley, especially business owners there.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
Morgantown is home to a large taxpayer funded state university. I dont think you can compare it to Cumberland.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM

7,021 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Morgantown is home to a large taxpayer funded state university. I dont think you can compare it to Cumberland.
True, Morgantown's economic engine is WVU, which differentiates it from Cumberland. Sadly we are about 70 miles of big mountains and nasty weather from Morgantown, so Western Maryland doesn't benefit too much from its growth, although many (if not most) Garrett Countians head west to do their shopping, doctor's visits, etc.

Tom's general point is correct though. Even the counties in WV and PA that make up our region are doing better than we are. It is really hard to compete with these lower tax, less regulated juristictions when their borders touch your central city. I wouldn't say any of us are high on the hog, but when a new sub-division, warehouse, small factory, opens in our region, it is almost always in WV or PA.

I am not sure people realize how shallow the Potomac is this far west. There are at least 7 crossings from WV to MD in Allegany County alone. These are located in or very near our towns, and there is never any traffic or headaches when you need to cross. We have a hard time competing, and are losing the battle more and more every time another tax is raised.

Stores in WV literally put up signs that say "Thank you Governor O'Malley" every time a vice tax is raised. It isn't a coincidence that gas stations/convience stores in WV are located right next to the bridges that connect Cumberland to WV.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:41 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
These effects reverberate far into neighboring states and beyond. Of course as Westside mentions the biggest impact is seen near the borders like Cumberland, and also with Salisbury/Delmar on the Eastern Shore. The effect is less so in Montgomery County since Northern Virginia does have a lot of LOCAL taxes.

I live in Baltimore County now and it doesn't make sense to travel far regularly to avoid taxes but many of us still do when we happen to travel elsewhere for business or pleasure. I stopped in Weston/Buckhannon WV deep inside central West Virginia and they are seeing increased business. They often see Maryland licenses as ID for beer at the local Walmart and the gas stations/liquor stores.

The city of Charleston, West Virginia is also doing better than Cumberland. They are also located in a river valley and geogrphically is similar to Cumberland in many ways. They are a central for the coal industry and there are coal mines very close to the city and while its not booming the way southern cities like Charlotte and Atlanta are, they are doing alright. And the tap water there tastes just fine and doesn't catch fire!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM

490 posts, read 924,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post

1. Montgomery
2. Baltimore City
3. Baltimore County
4. Anne Arundel County
5. Howard County
7. Frederick County
8. Harford Co.
Well Said!!!! but Reality is the Strongest counties in term of Economic Growth:

1.Montgomery
2.Howard
3.Anne Arundel
4.Frederick
5.Prince Georges
6.St.Mary
7.Baltimore county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland