Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:15 AM

33 posts, read 52,347 times

Advertisements

The initial replies to this thread recommending Concord made me laugh -- because the OP's description of Hingham is exactly how I think of Concord now compared to 20+ years ago. However, I can attest that in Concord's case, even the new people are pretty nice to the elder population. (Maybe because they are salivating over buying their little cape and tearing it down, as another poster said, but still...nothing but great stories from elder residents I know there.) Perhaps that is due to the more down-to-earth feel Concord has compared to Wayland and Lexington.

But back to the OP -- I think you'd miss the sea. Stick to the shore! Ipswitch was the place I was going to recommend. Beverly, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 06:48 AM

154 posts, read 257,250 times
I've noticed that in many cases once a person is ready to move on to something new nothing about the old place is "as good as it used to be".

Old 01-13-2016, 07:26 AM

1,362 posts, read 875,318 times
Hilarious to read the North Shore (any of it) compared to the Jersey Shore. Are any of you sure you're familiar with both? I am. They're nothing alike. In any way.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:35 AM

317 posts, read 431,760 times
Back to OP's original question - one of the things I value most about Natick is the broad scope of socio-economic backgrounds encompassed within the town, and the real absence of 'uppity-ness', for lack of a better term. Within our children's schools, and the people we and they associate with, there exists a fair mix of everything from small condo-renters to McMansion owners, and I've never experienced any real shallowness or exclusion, etc. It seems like most people could care less about what you do and how big your house is. Basically, it's a very down-to-earth town, which makes it a great place to call home, and seems to fit OP's criteria.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:44 AM

55 posts, read 87,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingham-x View Post
Yes, the spiral staircase was definitely a concern in the Norwell house. We will be having elderly people there, visiting children, and dogs. The other issue is that although you can't tell from the listing, there is a massive house built right beside this one to the right. It's very odd and imposing when you are standing there. With six acres you would expect privacy but most of it is marsh.

The other issue is resale. We only need it for about 10 years. I was thinking it would be a good transitional house before a condo. But it's been on the market for a long time and it may be difficult to resell given the style. I love it but someone else may not.

Norwell is close to Hingham so I could still see my friends. And my last child is in a private school and would not have to change if we moved there. Less disruptive.

The other concern is no downtown area. You can do just about any errand in Hingham. Everything is right here. I like having a town center.
A good portion of Norwell borders Hingham so I would guess you wouldn't lose fairly quick access to the downtown area.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,344 times
Essex. Bring your mud shoes.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
I've noticed that in many cases once a person is ready to move on to something new nothing about the old place is "as good as it used to be".
This

Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
People can outgrow places. I just think hingham has kind of always been the way she's describing, but she just seems to be realizing it now.

She also mentioned FB posts that are obnoxious. I wonder if in general FB posts have made people more aware of what someone is really like. I've heard that people can get depressed reading FB posts about other people's lives because they then feel like their lives arent as full.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM

10 posts, read 16,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Manchester by the sea is very Italian heavy. It is by the sea but a few people I've known from there reminded me of some of the folks on jersey shore. Needham is also very similar to hingham. Weston and Wellesley too.

You realize that most of the cast of that show wasn't Italian or from Jersey? Why are you bringing ethnicity into this and using stereotypes to describe certain areas?

This is New England and Italians have lived here for generations, including in many of the town's described as "old money" along with other towns. The ethnicity of this is irrelevant.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 16,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I find the whole northshore to have a bit of jersey/nouveau riche thing going on ... except towns like Essex, which prioritize wasp heritage over opulence.

Essex has a bigger Italian presence than Manchester. How exactly does a town prioritize one ethnicity over another, what you said doesn't make sense. "Old money" can and does spend opulently. The majority of this state is not Italian, even though this part of the country has more than most, so it could just as easily be English, Irish, or any other group behaving like "new money" the way you describe. Ethnicity is irrelevant.

The vast majority of what people are describing as "old money" is probably "new money" that just spends a certain way. Culture lingers in places even if the original people leave. Stereotypes and reality TV does not represent the majority.

Town's that have an "old money" vibe may in fact have more than most, but they do not make up the majority of the town and it is probably the result of people with similar lifestyles moving to such places, and has nothing to do with ethnicity. People's occupations have a much bigger effect on the feel of the towns.

Last edited by Clestro; 01-13-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts