Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 03:32 PM

70 posts, read 113,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
Owning a boat and being able/having the desire to go to an expensive spa doesn't mean people have no class.

Owning a boat and being able/having the desire to go to an expensive spa doesn't NECESSARILY mean people have no class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 04:04 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
Oh sure, i know people in hingham who cant afford all those things either...but they're only in their 30's and maybe by the time they're in their 40's/50's they'll be able to. But i know normal average people reside there.

I'm not sure how I feel about this thread. The OP seems to think the people of Hingham are silly for how they live their lives and spend money. She's entitled to feel how she feels but why get huffy about it and act like you're better than them because you're not materialistic?

I've worked in Cambridge for years and while I don't live here Im here enough to know what the people are like and I work with them. Many of them are very intellectual and intelligent, you might have great conversations with them but they can be snotty and elitist in their own ways. They often go out of their way to be weird (riding around on a unicycle for transportation) or different.

bottom line-I guess when you're surrounded by a particular group of people and you aren't like them they start to wear on you. Doesn't mean you are better or they are better.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:04 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,679,858 times
There's nothing wrong with having a boat.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:08 PM

I would like a boat one day. I love the ocean. Omg I must be so materialistic.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Who wants a Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I would like a boat one day. I love the ocean. Omg I must be so materialistic.
Urban Dictionary defines the word "Cha-chingham": Nickname for the rich ass town of Hingham.

Here is a video some Hingham High School kids made. It is called Boat Shoe Swag. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVuQJHwCNJI

Old 01-15-2016, 07:26 PM

434 posts, read 511,301 times
I think that video is hilarious.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I think that video is hilarious.
Not only is it hilarious, it's so freaking well done!!! This is the work of high school students! The schools here are awesome! My kids had a GREAT education and lots of exposure.

But if you look at the content it captures the Spirit of Hingham...The Hingham "attitude".

Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 PM

Default It's a matter of attitude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
bottom line-I guess when you're surrounded by a particular group of people and you aren't like them they start to wear on you. Doesn't mean you are better or they are better.
The opening post..."I moved to Hingham, MA 20 years ago and for the most part I’ve been happy here. It’s a historic town and absolutely beautiful with a lot of parks, open space, a great school system, and easy access to Boston.

Recently, however, I am feeling a need to leave and go find somewhere else to live.

Is there anywhere that’s more laid back, less competitive, but still has a great library and maybe a Starbucks? ...Sorry to dump on Hingham. I'm just so tired of it and I don't know where to go next."

Old 01-16-2016, 04:18 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingham-x View Post
Is there anywhere that’s more laid back, less competitive, but still has a great library and maybe a Starbucks? ...Sorry to dump on Hingham. I'm just so tired of it and I don't know where to go next."
I've been following this thread because 1) I have family in the general area, and 2) I also work in the general area. I've never lived in the area, but I've been in the area long enough to say yes, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. And then I think about somebody I know who does live in Hingham (albeit on the Weymouth *OMG* border) who doesn't live in a prestigious neighborhood nor in one of those multiroom show houses. There's also the more modest neighborhood running alongside Rte 53. But I digress.

*trying to think of how to word this* I tend to agree, as other posters have said, that with newly-earned wealth comes conspicuous consumption and keeping-uo-with-the-Joneses, which in and of itself is a competitive sport. The kids are swept up along with it. I've seen this play out within the family in the general area, and on many levels it offends me, not so much because I cannot afford to play (because I can't and won't try), but on the "there are SO many other things to be concerned about in this world, so cut it out!" You don't see that when you're playing the game.

Anyway, if you want to stay in the general area, what about Milton? There's a good deal of old money there, and yes, there is a competitive consumption facet but it's not as big nor as obvious as Hingham's. There are some modest neighborhoods where houses don't cost a million dollars (East Milton comes to mind), easy access into Boston/Cambridge, and a Starbucks

Old 01-16-2016, 08:05 AM

A lot of people in hingham aren't new to wealth though. Many of them move back there with their own families after having grown up there with money.

Plenty of people with new money don't flaunt it...and I've seen many with old money who do flaunt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts