Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 08:28 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
This. Having just gone through the process of interviewing cleaners, $30/hour for an insured cleaner is pretty middle of the road.
Actually, I live in Quincy and we have to have a cleaning crew here because both of us work pretty long hours and no one has the time or the energy to "clean" a big house. We pay $45/hr but the folks who do the cleaning do a great job and they do windows too (which I hate doing myself). Once they get through the place, it looks, smell and feel really clean. And we have dogs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 09:30 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
i know my husband used a cleaning service back in the day and his was on occasion, $150 a week. I don't know maybe $30 is the new norm. Just seems crazy to me when there are more difficulty jobs out there that require more education paying less than that. Go USA.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM

779 posts, read 878,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Actually, I live in Quincy and we have to have a cleaning crew here because both of us work pretty long hours and no one has the time or the energy to "clean" a big house. We pay $45/hr but the folks who do the cleaning do a great job and they do windows too (which I hate doing myself). Once they get through the place, it looks, smell and feel really clean. And we have dogs too.
The quotes I got ranged from $29/hour to $37.50 an hour. I'm sure there are a lot of variables, but this was for 4 hours of cleaning using their own products. I do feel that when kids (and dogs) enter the picture and both spouses are working full-time, it really comes down to whether you want to clean on the weekends or spend that time with your kids. Running errands with them (half joking). I am happy to shell out money for a cleaner, but I still drive a car with 250K miles on it. It just comes down to priorities.

Now if I could just afford a chef, I'd feel quite fancy.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 AM

434 posts, read 511,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
There is NOTHING better than coming home from a long day at work to a clean house. We don't have a housecleaner anymore and I miss it so, so, so much. Call me a lazy pretentious jerk, but I hate cleaning. Happy to mow my lawn and bag leaves and go to the dump and do laundry but actual cleaning? Ugh.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:12 AM

70 posts, read 113,019 times
I agree with NewfieMama: with kids, dogs, and both parents working full time you need a cleaning person. I had one, too, but she went back to Brazil. $75. 2-3 hours, once a week, for my own sanity. I appreciated her so much!

And a lot of SAHMs have someone clean. They also have kids, dogs, sports, etc. and often volunteer at the schools, on committees, boards, sports, church, etc. They are busy and organizations couldn't function without all they do.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
'I agree with NewfieMama: with kids, dogs, and both parents working full time you need a cleaning person'

We have a kid, a 90 lb dog and another kid on the way, i work full time, husband works more than full time and our house is clean thanks to....us

So please dont assume that everyone needs a cleaning person just because they work full time and have kids. There have been times we've entertained the thought of getting one but would rather put the funds elsewhere. To each their own.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

779 posts, read 878,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
'I agree with NewfieMama: with kids, dogs, and both parents working full time you need a cleaning person'

We have a kid, a 90 lb dog and another kid on the way, i work full time, husband works more than full time and our house is clean thanks to....us

So please dont assume that everyone needs a cleaning person just because they work full time and have kids. There have been times we've entertained the thought of getting one but would rather put the funds elsewhere. To each their own.
Watch out, whatsnext, that second kid is what put me over the edge

Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM

344 posts, read 336,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingham-x View Post
She's waiting for the decorator to show up and the Brazilian cleaning lady the real estate agent recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hingham-x View Post
I agree with NewfieMama: with kids, dogs, and both parents working full time you need a cleaning person. I had one, too, but she went back to Brazil. $75. 2-3 hours, once a week, for my own sanity. I appreciated her so much!

And a lot of SAHMs have someone clean. They also have kids, dogs, sports, etc. and often volunteer at the schools, on committees, boards, sports, church, etc. They are busy and organizations couldn't function without all they do.
So you dump on people who have Brazilian Cleaning people, yet you had one yourself?

I don't want to come off like I'm attacking you, but you need to get off your high-horse a bit. It's paining me to agree with the evil, materialistic Hinghamites (understand, I'm worse than the help; I'm born and bred in Weymouth) but I can't help myself. They aren't any better or worse than you for having different values, although I'm not so sure how different they actually are. You seem to be doing the same things they are, all while vilifying them.

I used to hate Hingham kids growing up. They were all rich, snobish people who looked down on the peasantry over the bridge on 3A. The Prescott Bush old money folk with plaques on their houses stating they are "historical." The new money who are flashy spenders. I couldn't stand any of them. As I get older, I care less and less (and I'm not old). They have money. Great. Let them enjoy it however they want. Different values and different ideals don't make them any worse or better than me- just different. Let them do them, and you do you.

However, let me be plain- you're looking at high-end homes based on what you've linked to. That's great; I applaud you and your family's success. That being said, in areas where homes go for over 1 million, the attitudes you hate (and espouse yourself at times, it seems) are going to be prevalent. It comes with the territory; it comes with the money. You aren't going to find townie blue collar folk that are a bit "rough around the edges" like us Weymouth folk in the towns you're looking at. You're not going to find social justice warriors (whatever that is) who are "concerned about the poor and elderly" at your price point, as a class. Here and there yes, but that's true of everywhere.

Just live in a home you love, focus on the friends you have (that I'm assuming have similar values as you) regardless of town. You're obviously not happy in Hingham, and that's okay. However, expect very similar things in all of the more affluent towns throughout the state. It just kinda comes with the territory.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM

1,199 posts, read 639,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
i know my husband used a cleaning service back in the day and his was on occasion, $150 a week. I don't know maybe $30 is the new norm. Just seems crazy to me when there are more difficulty jobs out there that require more education paying less than that. Go USA.
No kidding, man. My wife is a bereavement counselor and works with the families of children on hospice or with severe medical problems. Her job requires a Master's degree and yearly continuing education credits and licensing fees. She makes less than $30/hour, pre-tax, with no health, retirement, or tuition benefits. I guess society has decided that she adds significantly less value than a babysitter or house cleaner, and it would take between 30 and 40 of her to equal one investment banker, law firm partner, or health care executive.

I guess that makes sense, because only a handful of wealthy people need a bereavement counselor, but every wealthy person needs a cleaning lady and child care, whether a stay-at-home parent or otherwise.

God bless America!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Watch out, whatsnext, that second kid is what put me over the edge
We don't have any kids but just the idea of cleaning a big house puts me over the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts