Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times

Advertisements

RIP Ruggieri's ("The Happy Haddock") in Wellington Circle. They had a full menu page of veal selections; one dish, called "veal Lorenzo," I loooooooved and have never found anyplace else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blehman View Post
Does anyone remember Finally Michael's in Framingham. I had my first Manhattan there with my parent's. Great steaks as I recall
Yes we used to hit there for special occasions when I was younger. Great steaks, each booth/table had the book shelves aurrounding it if I recall correctly.

They did make a great fillet.........

Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
Irfox:

OH so the Brigham's IS still in the Financial District then? Well, that's good to know. I feel like going down there some day soon just to sit at their lunch counter for old times sake, I think I will, now it's on the agenda!
I hope you made it. They closed a couple of months ago.

I remember a couple of places closer to the city. Of course, the Tasty in Harvard Square and the old Green St. Grill. Also the Deli Haus in Kenmore, kind of a hole in the wall breakfast place where a lot of students hung out. Tim's on Columbus Av in the South End had great burgers and a no-nonsense attitude. Linda Mae's over by Savin Hill.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Holden, If you miss the goat stew at the old Green Street Grill, their former chef has it on the menu at his new (ish) place, Highland Kitchen in Somerville. Still spicy!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:00 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Do they still have Ponderosa's. They used to have a buffet for 4.25$ Yum.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
There are some scattered here and there, but I think $4.25 would just about buy you a Coke nowadays! (Free refills, though.) If cheap steak's your thing Longhorn is the national chain to be reckoned with in suburbia now. Ponderosa and Bonanza are "so 20th Century."

Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Elsie's in Falmouth, Theo's in Worcester

Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I hope you made it. They closed a couple of months ago.

I remember a couple of places closer to the city. Of course, the Tasty in Harvard Square and the old Green St. Grill. Also the Deli Haus in Kenmore, kind of a hole in the wall breakfast place where a lot of students hung out. Tim's on Columbus Av in the South End had great burgers and a no-nonsense attitude. Linda Mae's over by Savin Hill.
Nope, didn't get there.

Speaking of the Financial District, there was a sushi place on State Street (diagonally across from Black Rose, I believe) that used to be great. I can't even remember the name. Excellent though. It's long gone now.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
There are some scattered here and there, but I think $4.25 would just about buy you a Coke nowadays! (Free refills, though.) If cheap steak's your thing Longhorn is the national chain to be reckoned with in suburbia now. Ponderosa and Bonanza are "so 20th Century."
Hey, Longhorn gets the job done if a so-so steak is what you're craving. I used to go down to Ponderosa in Swansea when I was a kid for cheap buffets with my neighbors who loved cheap buffets. My family hated all of them but one. Golden Corral which (I don't believe) isn't in New England yet. Old Country Buffet doesn't cut it.

The best steak that I've had in Boston (that didn't break the bank... $33/oz Wagyu beef is NOT included here) was a Kobe Beef Ribeye from K.O. Prime on Tremont. I've had it twice and it was excellent both times. I believe it was $42... not awful when you're talking about high end steaks (refer to the wagyu prices to see what I mean). I don't know if it's still on the menu as I haven't been since last spring. Good stuff. I also had a NY Sirloin Au Poivre at Locke Ober which was great too. Nope, I don't miss Ponderosa one bit.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,333 times
yes, and they also had "Michael's Grand Cru on Rt. 1 in Peabody where Bertucci's is now. The owner, turned this location to his son,David Gillen and re-named it: "Finally David's"! This location was the EMERSON steak House before Michael's Grand Cru!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts