Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,900 times

Advertisements

here are some pics i took in nassau,bahamas. have more but cant find my camera card

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 AM

640 posts, read 1,824,246 times
I saw neighborhoods in St. Lucia that were worse than anything I've seen in the U.S. There are neighborhoods on the outskirts of Mexico City and Rio that are beyond the pale.

If you want to see a hardscrabble neighborhood, check out the industrial area between downtown Miami and Wynwood (where artists are taking over the buildings) at night. You'll see a lot of people sleeping in the street.

I know an artist who has studio space at 2945 NW 1st Ave., so I'm sometimes there at night, where I witness the ravages of addiction and mental illness. We really are a throw-away society.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 29,377 times
Default Miami ghettos

I'm moving to miami. With all these posting of run down, crime ridden neighborhoods, I hope i'm not making the wrong decision. Is miami really that bad? Damn I hope not.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woo99 View Post
I'm moving to miami. With all these posting of run down, crime ridden neighborhoods, I hope i'm not making the wrong decision. Is miami really that bad? Damn I hope not.
Not at all, go look at my posts :P

People here like to exaggerate.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
The fact is that low-class people live in areas with few or no trees and never maintain lawns. You can see this in coconut grove. Right near the FS Tucker elementary school is a barren ghetto but a few streets away is an affluent area easily located by the abundance of trees. Low class immigrants of all types quickly destroy all plant life upon purchasing a home and when they cluster together you get the ghetto look.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The fact is that low-class people live in areas with few or no trees and never maintain lawns. You can see this in coconut grove. Right near the FS Tucker elementary school is a barren ghetto but a few streets away is an affluent area easily located by the abundance of trees. Low class immigrants of all types quickly destroy all plant life upon purchasing a home and when they cluster together you get the ghetto look.
I like classism about as much as I like being poked in the eye with a needle.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
Quote:
I disagree with you here ,because if you go to the City of North Miami,there are bountiful and plentiful amount of trees and this area is not affluent by any means.and low-class immigrants of all types ,using the term all is a wide generalization,there are some who destroy plants and tree life but there are others who love nature.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:18 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Hialeah used to be full of plant life, but look at it now. The same happened in Westchester and has been happening in westwood lakes. You can see it to some extent in overpriced areas like horse country and the redlands. I remember in the 80's when Cubans and other immigrants moved in my parent's area they cut down any tree other than a few select fruit trees, and palm trees. Many put the concrete statue out front, circular driveway, concrete lawn and iron bar fence with spikes and/or post top lights. I was told that they fear robbers hiding in the bushes and hate picking up leaves or cutting grass. As for the poor I agree that some poor areas have trees, just go through Hialeah and then Opa-Locka and see how the immigrants of Hialeah devastated most of the trees. Miami Springs is not like that because the city is strict and did not let the deforestation go without cashing in. Not all immigrants are low class and money does not cancel out a low-class attitude. Even in Liberty City there are a few well-kept homes and decent people can live anywhere. However, ghettoes are usually barren while high-class areas have grass trees and flowers.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 PM

45 posts, read 241,388 times
Quote:
Hialeah used to be full of plant life, but look at it now. The same happened in Westchester and has been happening in westwood lakes. You can see it to some extent in overpriced areas like horse country and the redlands. I remember in the 80's when Cubans and other immigrants moved in my parent's area they cut down any tree other than a few select fruit trees, and palm trees. Many put the concrete statue out front, circular driveway, concrete lawn and iron bar fence with spikes and/or post top lights. I was told that they fear robbers hiding in the bushes and hate picking up leaves or cutting grass. As for the poor I agree that some poor areas have trees, just go through Hialeah and then Opa-Locka and see how the immigrants of Hialeah devastated most of the trees. Miami Springs is not like that because the city is strict and did not let the deforestation go without cashing in. Not all immigrants are low class and money does not cancel out a low-class attitude. Even in Liberty City there are a few well-kept homes and decent people can live anywhere. However, ghettoes are usually barren while high-class areas have grass trees and flowers.
Who needs trees when you make 5$ and hour and your household income is $20,000 a year? That cheap "quickie mart/neon sign look" of Hialeah was the result of Miami being sacrificed by the federal gov't to the immigrant cause. Miami was fed to the wolves without anyone to protect it from becoming overrun.

Low pay = low standards = who cares about trees?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM

149 posts, read 562,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island atoll View Post
Who needs trees when you make 5$ and hour and your household income is $20,000 a year? That cheap "quickie mart/neon sign look" of Hialeah was the result of Miami being sacrificed by the federal gov't to the immigrant cause. Miami was fed to the wolves without anyone to protect it from becoming overrun.

Low pay = low standards = who cares about trees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami