Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Yes, but I hear the downside to that is that every time a ballot initiative (more taxes) comes up to expand or update schools, they are overwhelmingly defeated. That's why generally speaking the schools systems in the South are the worst in the country.
But again Michigan leads the pack.

Detroit Has Worst High-School Graduation Rate

by Celeste Headlee

June 29, 2007 · A new study from Education Week shows that at least a third of teenagers in the nation are dropping out of school without earning their diplomas. Detroit has the worst rate: Fewer than 25 percent of freshmen go on to graduate.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,455,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez4now View Post

by Celeste Headlee

June 29, 2007 · A new study from Education Week shows that at least a third of teenagers in the nation are dropping out of school without earning their diplomas. Detroit has the worst rate: Fewer than 25 percent of freshmen go on to graduate.
It's that considered a reason to move to another state?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Quote:

by Celeste Headlee

Umm, no. Michigan doesn't lead the pack, DETROIT leads the pack. Michigan is SO much more than that one city in the SW corner.

Man I wish people would either invest in a map, or have the brains to read one. Detroit makes up a TINY portion of the state, and less than 1/10 of the population now. Sure the Detroit metro area is a bigger percentage, but that study deals with the city of Detroit and not the entire metro area. Most areas have GREAT school systems compared to other states on average. One of the top reasons I moved back to Michigan from the East Coast was for the better schools for my kids.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:49 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,879,919 times
Quote:

by Celeste Headlee

The entire STATES of Arizona, Florida and Nevada are ranked near the bottom for worst education systems:

State next to bottom nationally in per-pupil spending, report says | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/219900 - broken link)
Study shows Nevada has lowest high school graduation rate in U.S. : Wire : Ventura County Star
Florida Schools "Dropout Factories" - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Yes, but I hear the downside to that is that every time a ballot initiative (more taxes) comes up to expand or update schools, they are overwhelmingly defeated. That's why generally speaking the schools systems in the South are the worst in the country.

I guess the only standardized test to compare would be SAT scores, I don't believe there is any tests given to compare students by state. Spending on schools doesn't tell which states actually provide a better education.

SAT Scores

According to this Michigan is 13th highest in SAT scores -- below some southern states - Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, and slightly above Louisiana and Kentucky.

Florida is way down there but so are New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Delaware. There isn't a clear north-south difference.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,879,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I guess the only standardized test to compare would be SAT scores, I don't believe there is any tests given to compare students by state. Spending on schools doesn't tell which states actually provide a better education.

SAT Scores

According to this Michigan is 13th highest in SAT scores -- below some southern states - Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, and slightly above Louisiana and Kentucky.

Florida is way down there but so are New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Delaware. There isn't a clear north-south difference.
There are measures such as graduation/dropout rates, standardized test scores, spending per pupil, and accountability that is tracked nationally (all public schools are federally funded).

Education Week: Grading the States

There was also this report earlier this year on "dropout factories", schools where less than 60% of the freshman class enrollment made it to graduation:

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/10-29/gfx_dropout_400.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 08:02 PM

209 posts, read 658,583 times
sometimes i wish detroit wasnt part of michigan cuz it makes michigan look so bad

Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
There are measures such as graduation/dropout rates, standardized test scores, spending per pupil, and accountability that is tracked nationally (all public schools are federally funded).

Education Week: Grading the States

There was also this report earlier this year on "dropout factories", schools where less than 60% of the freshman class enrollment made it to graduation:

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/10-29/gfx_dropout_400.jpg (broken link)
That map shows Michigan as being in the middle range - same as Louisiana and Kentucky. Arkansas and Tennesse also rank higher in that map.

Some of the southern states like New Mexico, Texas, and Florida have extremely large numbers of foreign students who are not being taught in English which I suspect is much of the problem with those states.

I wonder how spending per student compares -- California or Michigan compared with Missouri or Iowa or Indiana which are ranked higher?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,900,695 times
Also remember that the majority of the students in Michigan take the ACT test instead of the SAT test.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,093,867 times
Quote:
There are measures such as graduation/dropout rates, standardized test scores, spending per pupil, ...
Spending per pupil is a poor measurement.

Washington, DC is very high and New Hampshire is very low in spending.

They are in the opposite position in terms of achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan