Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Poncho, struck a nerve? I was responding to your post where I gathered you were explaining how you were able to live off of your military pension. Based on how much you say you have collected, you have been retired awhile. While I am happy to see it worked for you, it doesn’t work well nowadays. Because, as I said, it’s pennies. It is no longer possible to leave the military at 38-40 and never work again, period, end of story. I left because I realized that was the case and didn’t want to serve Uncle Sam forever. Thirty years in my current career will yield a 6 figure pension.

I’m 39 now. I’d have been eligible to retire in January. $3000-4000 a month for 40 years or so? That’s pennies now and will be scratch then. It wasn’t meant as a “dig”, it’s true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It really is.

I work with a couple retirees. I started working on my civilian career after getting out and worked my way up. I make more than the retirees do with their pension, disability, and, medical and I'm two decades younger. It's nice to have, but I figured early on there's easier ways to make a living. My coworker is a retired O-5 and still works. I think he makes about the same amount our boss makes when you add in his pension.
Obviously I agree.

One of my good buddies has been in the Army for 27 years. We talk finances occasionally. He’s an E9. I make double his salary and my pension will make his look like a joke. I don’t say that to be a johnson. I say it because it’s pathetic that his decades of service will see him with basically vacation money (if his next job gives him vacation).

I was set to ETS just after 9/11 and due to the events, was going to re-up. That same buddy convinced me to leave (my current career was all set to start). I thank him every so often and wish he did the same. He deserves it.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM

233 posts, read 243,452 times
As a former active duty soldier (Now Reservist) total 11 yrs I got to admit. My State Pension is far greater than active duty. Plus I have way more time to do things I like to do.

My schedule
Army reserves 2 days month (Entertainment money)
Lt. Correctional officer 14-16 days a month ($3200-3600)
Substitute Teacher 10 a days a month ($980)
I also work freelance digit marketing and I bring in another $24k.

My wife
Is military medically retired ($$$)
School Teacher ($55k)
Freelance Graphic designer ($33k)

We also own a few houses
We couldn't live like this in military on active duty as both E-6 and 2 kids. We also have same perks as active duty and we live near Bragg:
Tricare
Commissary
Cheap Flights
10% discounts

We got it made so no regrets. We both still have our post 9/11 that haven't touch..

Thank you active duty but no thanks reserve life is better

Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I left the Navy Reserve in 1969. The only part of that service I, sometimes miss when I am feeling remarkably nostalgic, is being on a DE in a winter North Atlantic storm. That was, once I was over being sea sick, great fun. I do not miss trying to take their guns from Vietnamese locals in the Mekong Delta. That was really very dangerous. Exciting but very dangerous. Addicting even.

My main problem with the Navy is I do not and never did take orders well. I like or nearly demand being told what my orders are supposed to accomplish so I can suggest improvements. Officers, and some foolish civilian bosses, do not like to be questioned or hear exceptions. After 'Nam taking orders became very difficult. One nice thing about being retired is I do not take orders from anyone except myself. I like that.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
As a former active duty soldier (Now Reservist) total 11 yrs I got to admit. My State Pension is far greater than active duty. Plus I have way more time to do things I like to do.

My schedule
Army reserves 2 days month (Entertainment money)
Lt. Correctional officer 14-16 days a month ($3200-3600)
Substitute Teacher 10 a days a month ($980)
I also work freelance digit marketing and I bring in another $24k.

My wife
Is military medically retired ($$$)
School Teacher ($55k)
Freelance Graphic designer ($33k)

We also own a few houses
We couldn't live like this in military on active duty as both E-6 and 2 kids. We also have same perks as active duty and we live near Bragg:
Tricare
Commissary
Cheap Flights
10% discounts

We got it made so no regrets. We both still have our post 9/11 that haven't touch..

Thank you active duty but no thanks reserve life is better
How do you get cheap flights?

Last edited by Remington Steel; 12-07-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
I retired from the military and there is no way I could live off my military retirement with today's cost of living. It is expensive to raise a family and the $2,230 mentioned above (before taxes) is peanuts. It does help but you can't "retire" off of it.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I retired from the military and there is no way I could live off my military retirement with today's cost of living. It is expensive to raise a family and the $2,230 mentioned above (before taxes) is peanuts. It does help but you can't "retire" off of it.
The million dollar question is, was that $2,230 "worth it"? Think about your life if you didn't have that "extra" $2230/month coming in.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
How do you get cheap flights?
Space A. Dirt cheap flights!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Space A. Dirt cheap flights!
Oh. They only go to designated destinations though. You have to be available on short notice (hence "Space Available") No guarantee on return flight. I've seen old retirees get stuck at AMC bases for days waiting on flights out.

They fit those with that lifestyle, not for me though.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM

363 posts, read 350,044 times
wrt space-A,

I have considered hopping on a guard/reserve plane that is going somewhere for a week or two (annual tour or shorter).

that increases the probability that they will be returning to the home base without major detours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues