Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Spring and fall weather is notoriously crazy. Up and down, hot one day, cold the next. In another couple of weeks you'll probably all be complaining that it's too hot and humid. I have a couple of outdoor events I'm hoping to attend next weekend and the weekend after, so I'm just hoping for no rain.
This is the problem with planning anything up there, always the question marks.

I'm invited to a family reunion in SE MN July 10. Last and only time I went:
86 degrees, rain the day before, sky high humidity, and I hadn't owned a can of bug spray since I left there.

I'll be watching the temp's this coming July 10 and see what I missed. If it's 75 degrees that day, I'll kick myself for not going. 90 degrees with 70-80% humidity and I'll celebrate all day long.

Out here, you can plan events like this without question marks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Quote:
This is the problem with planning anything up there, always the question marks.

I'm invited to a family reunion in SE MN July 10. Last and only time I went:
86 degrees, rain the day before, sky high humidity, and I hadn't owned a can of bug spray since I left there.

I'll be watching the temp's this coming July 10 and see what I missed. If it's 75 degrees that day, I'll kick myself for not going. 90 degrees with 70-80% humidity and I'll celebrate all day long.

Out here, you can plan events like this without question marks.
120 degrees. All I need to say.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Heat/Feel Index (Source: Metereology/People's Almanac)

90 with 80% humidity: Feels like 113
95 with 60% humidity: Feels like 114
95 with 70% humidity: Feels like 124

The real temp has never exceeded 117 here in Las Vegas. Up in Minneapolis, considering the heat index, you have exceeded 117 any number of times over the years. Sometimes, as high as 124, exceeding Phoenix's all-time high of 121.

Las Vegas:

110 with 10% humidity: Feels like 105.
110 with 5% humidity: Feels like 103.
90 with 10% humidity: Feel like 85.

Downside to the desert: In Jan. with a nightime low of 35, with a 20MPH winds, feels like 12 degrees. And when the wind kicks up to 30MPH, not uncommon here, it feels like 6 degrees. Yikes!

Upside: Always cools off nicely at night in the summers here.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,539 times
Nothing more comical than a bunch of Minnesotans complaining about the weather. Step up the empty threats to move, please.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I complain about the heat and humidity and the bitter cold, but generally I like a little variety (even of the weather I don't like) in life; that was something I often missed when living in other parts of the country. Minnesota has had the most extremes of any of the places I've lived. Some of the weather I love, some I hate, but figure you take the bad with the good. It does make it tough to plan outdoor events, though!

Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,536 times
I can't believe I'm reading so many whiny posts about the weather from Minnesotans! Golf Gal and nick is rulz seem to be the only ones not crying about it. I'd take the surprises Mn throws my way over the endless drab gray of Portland winter ANY day. And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've lived there!

As an aside: El Nino frequently brings a mild winter in the Northwest followed by a stormy spring when the el nino breaks. We just had a record for number of rainy days in April. Maybe the pattern holds true across the northern states - might explain your mild spring followed by the recent snow in May!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Nothing more comical than a bunch of Minnesotans complaining about the weather. Step up the empty threats to move, please.
go troll around somewhere else, or start contributing to the thread. Those are your two options.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM

177 posts, read 425,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
I can't believe I'm reading so many whiny posts about the weather from Minnesotans! Golf Gal and nick is rulz seem to be the only ones not crying about it. I'd take the surprises Mn throws my way over the endless drab gray of Portland winter ANY day. And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've lived there!

As an aside: El Nino frequently brings a mild winter in the Northwest followed by a stormy spring when the el nino breaks. We just had a record for number of rainy days in April. Maybe the pattern holds true across the northern states - might explain your mild spring followed by the recent snow in May!
It sounded like you're whining, too, so join the rest of us. Look out the window and face the reality. Those are not saying anything are still in denial.

Go look up the forcast for this whole week in TC. Mostly in the 50's with lows in the 40s, rainy and cloudy every fricking day. How many weeks have this weather been like this? Too many! Before you know it May is over and June, July and August are left for a short summer. Then comes September with overcast weather again. And please no snow in October like last year.

I still cross my fingers and toes for Uptown-Urbanist for the weekends with decent weather.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Another thing about Minnesotans is their assumption that " we'll pay for it later" whenever we get nice weather.

Maybe we're gonna have to " pay for" that nice April with a lousy May.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,144,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeTon View Post
It sounded like you're whining, too, so join the rest of us. Look out the window and face the reality. Those are not saying anything are still in denial.

Go look up the forcast for this whole week in TC. Mostly in the 50's with lows in the 40s, rainy and cloudy every fricking day. How many weeks have this weather been like this? Too many! Before you know it May is over and June, July and August are left for a short summer. Then comes September with overcast weather again. And please no snow in October like last year.

I still cross my fingers and toes for Uptown-Urbanist for the weekends with decent weather.
It always amazes me how soft Minnesotans are when it comes to whether. It's either too hot, too cold, too humid, too dry, too windy.....

We are supposed to be tougher up here, not whiney wimps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul