Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 08:21 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

The reason why Minnesotans don't die in extreme cold snaps is cuz they don't venture out much partaking in activities.

I chuckle when I read all about Minnesotans brag how they are outside in very cold weather.

BALONEY !!!!!!!!

When the daytime highs remain below zero people DON'T venture out.

TV crews have shown ski slopes by the metro nearly deserted during a cold snap and owners complaining about their $$$$$$$$$ losses.

At least in hot areas-----------you can venture out for a walk in the early morning before the temps get dangerously hot.

During a cold spell in Minnesota, many don't.

Add in the times when roads are nearly deserted cuz-- NO TRAVEL--- is advised ( blizzard conditions) and MN winters lose its "glamor" ---------IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Also, many ,many areas of Minnesota have arms that block freeway entrances and flashing lights that close down state highways when the hwy dept decides it is unsafe to travel them due to --WINTER--conditions.

I have not noticed the necessity of those for --SUMMER-- in my travels in the South.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
I was very impressed with how the winter went last year in my first go through. I've always lived where Winter exists but this was another level entirely. The Cold is REAL, the Wind is killer. You adapt to it and you take precautions.

There were entire months where the tempurature did not come above zero. There were times when the temp hit -9 and it felt warm.

One dresses accordingly and adapts to the change. It is business as usual in Minnesota when the tempurature drops.

I was very impressed that I adapted so well to it, and no - I didn't stay in. I have a dog and was out walking her every day twice. I had NO CHOICE but to adapt and that I did. My dog loves the snow. I love it too.

I lived in Pittsburgh, Detroit and Milwaukee. In those areas Winter was a *****. Going from Cold to not so cold back to freezing and then up to warm. Those fluxuation in temps made it impossible to adapt to it. The Ice storms were the worst part of the winter. I had terrible times with winter in those regions. In Pgh, waiting for the Bus to go into Pittsburgh, walking across one of the Bridges in Winter if you drove to work, is an experience no Minnesotan would relish. All the snow storms all winter long made life miserable. Milwaukee was simliar too. In Detroit it's flat and so there isn't a whole lot to do with the snow and cold, except Ice Fish or snowmobile.

Now those activities are WAY BETTER in Minnesota. The cold freezes the lakes good and it keeps them that way for the whole winter. Safe and enjoyable lake usage. Can't say the same in Milwaukee, we had maybe 30 days of safe ice. Detroit the same, the Ice is not as reliable.

In Minnesota we have Snow Storms early on (December) and late in Winter (March) Jan and Feb are simply cold with a little bit of snow. They deal with it so much better here. Worlds of difference. All winter long the groomed snow mobile trails are GREAT FUN, the frozen lakes are big playgrounds with the best in Ice Fishing. Some lakes are higher in population that my town. It's crazy.

When the tempurature dips down for good, we get used to it being there. Even the drivers are more careful. Yes, highways close when the weather is bad. I see no-one stuck in the ditch all winter long. In Wisconsin it's all too comon. The first sign of snow and cars begin to slip and slide all over the place. One after another off to the ditch they go. They are simply not responsible drivers, as in Minnesota that could be life threatening. Therefore we are so very careful.

We have FUN in the cold. It's real fun and real cold. Where else can you really get your money's worth in a Snow Machine? The trails are all over the place. All along the County Roads you see them going up and down the Glacier built hills. Across the Glacier built lakes. Snow Shoe trails are a lot of fun, but no where else do you see it.

When summer is upon us and the mosquitoes are biting, I long for the cold of Winter. Insane yes? All four seasons are Beautiful in Minnesota. Winter is Special, beyond my wildest dreams. Way beyond my wildest expectations.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:00 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Cold weather and snow aren't my big worries. Give me a pair of ice skates or a snow ball fight and will be okay. It is the wind that can be crazy..

Old 11-19-2008, 03:17 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
Native Minnesotan that has re-located to New Mexico. Today it is sunny and beautiful in Santa Fe, and I see that you are enjoying some cold weather. This is the time of year I appreciate it here. Yeah, we still get snow, but I can count the times I scrape a windshield or shovel snow on one hand. I can say that although there were some things to do outdoors in the winter, I have become much more of an outdoor person down here in the southwest.

I do still really enjoy visiting in the summer for some fishing.

Go Vikes.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 AM

13 posts, read 59,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I lived for 31 years in Minnesotas. If you can't handle the cold, then you would be considered a woosie!! Unlike living in the hot humid south, you can always put another layer of cloths on and go outside and enjoy!!
I guess i move to the beat of a diffetrent drum altogether. I can joy in 105 HEAT or Burly up nicely in the -50 air temp if thats the elements this geography offers. For me it's a matter of extremes. I can flourish in more harsher conditions but if i's 80 or 50 i'll likely catch cold. But that's just part of this planet's elements of different areas you either adapt to or move to where you feel most comfotable or is better for your immune system.

Joesph_2010

Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
How do yopu cope with the cold? Think CAHART (sp?) winter cloths. Think warm fireplaces and warm drinks.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Although I’m not a big fan of the cold season…I must say, Minnesotans are a tough people. My sister in law is from northern Minnesota– and she laughs at us on the East Coast in winter. When folks in Maryland, New Jersey, or Connecticut, are groaning about 25 F being cold…she tells us what it like at –30 F below zero. She has experienced wind chills to –60 F below zero without saying a word about it. Most of the East Coast below Massachusetts gets 25 or 30 inches of snow all winter….and we hype it up like it’s the second coming. She used to get 100-inhes every year…. and laughed about it.

Every time I am reminded of the extreme winters in the upper Midwest…I realize what wimps we are on the East Coast!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times
Well this is really irking me.

Someone above said that "There were entire months where it didnt get above 0" - That's total BS. Give the the stat to prove me wrong, because you're talking BS.

Anyways, the cold in MN sucks, but it isnt that bad. Only for a blurp in time will we really see severe temperatures. Severe in terms of 0s and -0s. The thing that really hurts is the wind, if it is 9 degrees and no wind, its not too bad, the cold air is actually refreshing.

I dont ever recall temps being below zero for MONTHS, let alone a few days, which usually seems to happen in late January and early February.

Hands down the worst month is February. and January next. And then December, then March, then November, then April, then October, then May, then September, then July, then August, then June. IMO.

Plus everything weather -wise is relative. Today it was 20 degrees. It seemed really, really, really, really cold, however, in January, 20 is going to feel normal.. Just like the days in January when it gets up to 35-40 and it seems like summer. In July thinking about 50s is hard to do, and gives you chills.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The reason why Minnesotans don't die in extreme cold snaps is cuz they don't venture out much partaking in activities.

I chuckle when I read all about Minnesotans brag how they are outside in very cold weather.

BALONEY !!!!!!!!

When the daytime highs remain below zero people DON'T venture out.

TV crews have shown ski slopes by the metro nearly deserted during a cold snap and owners complaining about their $$$$$$$$$ losses.
They're still on the lakes in their icehouses. Hyland has a policy where they close the lifts at -40F windchill or -30F air temperature.

But Feb 4th 2007 it was -9F at the start of the Loppet and like 700 of us showed up to race.

More 2008 was worse. -16F at the start and -45 windchill and over a thousand of us showed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota