Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times

Advertisements

That is weird, I stopped at their store this summer on the way back west.

Montana Log Homes, by Amish Log builders Meadowlark Log Homes of Libby, MT (http://meadowlarklog.com/AmishAuction.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Amish roots too, not just using the name.

Back in WV/MD we used to chuckle because a lot of places used the term 'Amish' to push anything, and sell they did.

There was a joke that if you put kittens in a box and wrote "Free Kittens"- no one would take them. Scratch that and write "Amish Kittens $50"- they'd be gone in an hour.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Yes the best thing it was a scratch and dent store. I was in heaven. Stocked up on odds and ends, mixes, different sauces, cookies and crackers in different languages...Their log home models were right there also.
And it was bring your own box/bag. We chowed down in Glacier with some Dulce cafe. Just like being back in Oregon, you know habla espanol...

Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
About 5 I realized I had forgotten to get anything out for supper. So I grabbed a couple or worms and went down to the river. Only caught one fish with the two worms, but it's about 13-14 inches long. I started the burner on the stove and then cleaned the fish. Rolled it in a little corn meal, added some spices and it should be ready in about 15 minutes.

After supper note. It was good, even if it was a rainbow.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 PM

nice!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
About 5 I realized I had forgotten to get anything out for supper. So I grabbed a couple or worms and went down to the river. Only caught one fish with the two worms, but it's about 13-14 inches long. I started the burner on the stove and then cleaned the fish. Rolled it in a little corn meal, added some spices and it should be ready in about 15 minutes.

After supper note. It was good, even if it was a rainbow.
Hey EH....................... Really nice Rainbow........looks great in the pan too

I do have a question though:........ other than the appearance factor, is there a benefit to leaving the head and tail on the fish in the cooking process?. Understand, I'm not being a smart a$$..........I truly wonder why?

Also, I don't know it you know about "Grape Seed Oil" for "frying" or "deep fat frying".

It's about the same price as regular brand Olive Oil and slightly more than Corn Oil. However, it has a "heat rateing" about 75 degrees higher than any other "frying oil" that i know of. It also seems to take less and when doing deep fat frying(like shrimp or breaded Halibut) --I strain it after its cooled and keep the used portion in the Fridge until next time It has NO taste and (for me) does and excellent job. It won't even begin to smoke until is gets above about 480F.

Because I don't care for the taste of Oilve Oil and the fact that I can do fish, shrimp, Hush Puppies, Tempura Coated Veggies and other similiar items at this much higher temp, I use it now exclusively. Cheapest source is Costco...(in 1/2 gallon Jug). It's also very healthy as far as the info regarding cohlestorel (sp?); fats etc,etc. I have also found it in Albertson's...smaller bottle though. And the 1/2 gallon jug does not have to be kept in the fridge...I just keep it in the kool part of the pantry.

For certain breaded fish, I mix in maybe 10% to 15% bacon grease to add "that special" little flavor touch.

It is also absolutely the best frying oil I've ever used for "Chicken Fried Steak" and Chicken Fried Pork Cutlets......I dip 'em in a lite "egg wash" then shake up in a bag thats got equal parts of Italian Bread Crumbs; flour and Cornmeal mixed together with a little of Johnny's Garlic Spread (powder mixture) also mixed in. And then if you want to give a lttle "KICK" to what your cookin'........try throwin' in a couple spoon fulls of: "Weber" brand :KICK"N CHICKEN".......It will "REV up the flavor nicely not only of chicken but it even works well on some steak cuts and very well on fish, ribs, burgered etc.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Mmmm, that's a good lookin' fish, either way you look at it I think maybe I can smell it from here!!

Thing with leaving the head on, you don't waste that little bit of meat behind it, might be the best part of the fish. And tail fried crisp is good to crunch on, if it's not too spiny. 'Course if you cut the head and tail off a Minnesota sunfish, there ain't hardly no fish left to fry!

And if you leave the head on, after dinner you get to hear this nifty little song!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Leaving the heads and tails on? I dunno, I've always cooked them that way. Trout that is. Now catfish, bullhead and such, the heads gotta go!

In my house, nothing goes to waste, everything is saved. That fish was cooked in bacon grease. I don't buy oil, I just save my bacon grease and use it for cooking. Adds just that much more for flavor. The last time I bought any veggi oil was when I was involved with that evil pyramid scheme called "Friendship Bread". Haven't made any of that for a couple months.

I've used peanut oil for deep frying and I really like that. And it's only about $30 a jug (5 gallon) if you catch it on sale before Thanks Giving. I buy it so I can cook up my turkey in my big fryer. There's always some left over so I fill some small jugs and put in the cupboard.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Friendship bread...LOL! I totally get it. Pyramid Scheme.
If you are not familiar
Amish Friendship Bread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well the hail and such seemed to stay south, got enough rain not to have to water the garden. Hope we are as lucky today. And yes trout have to be intact in the pan and yes I save all my bacon grease.
Now catfish you gotta skin, behead but I still keep the tail on. Good and crunchy.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,198 times
Oh yummy! I'm hungry..maybe a couple of my chicken eggs and some hash browns, ummm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana