Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,101,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Just for you veterans...Montana has one of the nicest veterans homes I have ever seen, in Columbia Falls. Excellent staff. Modern, clean, and happy. The veterans are well taken care of and very happy. Nice place.
I looked into the one close to me. Outstanding facility, beautiful rooms, great meals, and the most politically corrupt facility I have ever seen in my life.

Cost, 85% of you rincome, not to exceed $900.
Financial person has you sign a power of attorney so that your retirement check goes directly to them and your money is divied out at a pay window that you have to fill out paperwork in order to get it. While I was visiting there I actually watched a guy fill out the paperwork for $20. The financial guy asked him what he needed the money for. The guy stated that it was the weekend and he was thinking about going to the pancake breakfast at the American Legion. The financial guy gave him a lecture about having just went there a couple weeks ago, and then lectured him about the evils of alcohol. That legion doesn't have a liquor license and doesn't have a bar. I thought, excuse me, the Veteran earned that retirement, who are you to dish it out in bits and pieces and then lecture him.

I spoke to the head nurse and asked her, if I had a problem with nursing staff, would I speak to you? She said, "Yes." I asked, "What happens if you can't resolve the issue, do I go to the director?" She said, "No, the nursing staff is programmed through Cheyenne and you would have to call them."

I spoke to the Social Worker and asked her if I could set up an appointment to speak with the Director. She said, "Why do you want to talk to him?" I said, "Oh, I just wanted to chat about his facility and what plans he has for the furture of the facility." She said, "Well, I need to know specifically what you want to talk about." I never did get to see the director because I wouldn't tell her so she wouldn't schedule me. She kept telling me, "He's all tied up." I thought, tied up doing what? Everybody here works for somebody in Cheyenne, he's just a figure head.

They have a huge parking lot that had maybe a dozen cars in it. The parking lot would hold about 80 cars. They said, "One vehicle per person." I said, "I have two vehicles, my truck and a licensed 4 wheeler, could I get permission to have a second vehicle?" Absolutely not! There is only so much room and it wouldn't be fair to the other residents for you to take 2 parking places. I said, "How about if I keep my 4 wheeler in the back of my truck?" NO! That won't work either because the rules specify, only 1 vehicle per resident.

I spoke to the head cook and asked her about diet. We had a nice chat and I found out that she doesn't report to the director either, she reports to somebody out of Cheyenne.

My point is, they may look like nice facilities, and the nurses might smile a lot, but they are a third world country with a dictator. The only way I would stay there is if I wasn't capable of taking care of myself, at all and then, they wouldn't keep you there, they send you to a differet home better capable of dealing with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,760,848 times
Happy thanksgiving, everyone! Let the cooking begin.....!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,128,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I looked into the one close to me. Outstanding facility, beautiful rooms, I spoke to the head cook and asked her about diet. We had a nice chat and I found out that she doesn't report to the director either, she reports to somebody out of Cheyenne.
Hey Elk:............God forbid that you ever end up in one of those..............if that ever did occur however, you can tell them that your doctor has written you a recommended diet (and I got a Doc friend who whould do it) that must contain at least 75% Elk & Deer meat.......and you've got a friend (from the Korea Era) here in MT that has "an unlimited source" who would keep "that cook" well supplied to satisfy your needs.".....Would be great fun to see how they'd handle that situation.

My point is, they may look like nice facilities, and the nurses might smile a lot, but they are a third world country with a dictator. The only way I would stay there is if I wasn't capable of taking care of myself, at all and then, they wouldn't keep you there, they send you to a differet home better capable of dealing with you.
...............You know my age bracket...............thus I've got several friends from highschool that joined up (for Korea) in 1950 through 1953. Many of them are now faced with possibly considering one of those vet homes................Their thoughts are same as yours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,only when they can't continue to "hack=it=on-their-own" will they be forced to consider moving to one of them.

Another subject: It's been snowing here at my place since about 8pm...............coming down at about an inch/hour................It might just be worth it to go into town tomorrow morning and watch 'all-the-fender-benders" as these newbies to the state fight for their parking places at some of the stores that are open tomorrow for "the big bargins"!!

Anyway, To Elk and all you folks that thought maybe 'ole Griz might'a "kicked-the bucket"...................................I hope you have an enjoyable Thanksgiving..............me, I joing my daughter and the two of us are takin' all the "fixins" up to my sisters place (12 miles away) and do the whole "shebang" up at their place.

Ketch ya all later..........Hey Elk, if you feel so inclined...you certainly can post any of those pics on C-D,........I would have been doing it all along, but I'm just too damn dumb to figure out how to do it........had a hard enough time getting them off to you in a regular e mail............

Last edited by Montana Griz; 11-22-2012 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: afterthought note to Elk Re pictures,

Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,400,864 times
Right. The veterans home is a great place....when you don't use a car any longer. Don't care about your money, pretty much, those folks are eating, watching tv and hanging out for a few years. I think the average age is 87. Mostly WW II veterans.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
- snip -

Ketch ya all later..........Hey Elk, if you feel so inclined...you certainly can post any of those pics on C-D,........I would have been doing it all along, but I'm just too damn dumb to figure out how to do it........had a hard enough time getting them off to you in a regular e mail............
Posting pictures on CD can be a challenge. Course, you can always post by making it an attachment, but then we can all sit around and squint at the screen trying to figure out what that postage stamp size square is in the middle of the screen. I am more than happy to post them here for you.

These pictures are from the other day when I sent a carrier pigeon over to MG's house to check up on him. He told the pigeon to go away, something about he's watching the "livestock" on the place and didn't want to be bothered. (Hey, it's my story. lol) He said something about going Elk Hunting, but couldn't reach a sizeable enough rock, from his rocking chairs, so he just took pictures.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:17 PM

7,388 posts, read 12,697,920 times
Griz, good to see you're okay! We were getting a little worried there...Beautiful pics!

Hope everybody is where they want to be, enjoying their Thanksgiving. Have a great weekend!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,690,154 times
Hello neighbors!
Pulled a double shift yesterday, so today is turkey day, it is in the oven.
Hope everyone's hunting is going well. Safe travels. I love the weather over here!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,949,984 times
Question Double Shift ! ~♥~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Hello neighbors!
Pulled a double shift yesterday, so today is turkey day, it is in the oven.
Hope everyone's hunting is going well. Safe travels. I love the weather over here!
Does that mean the ya get to pull another double shift cooking now ? ~♥~
My wife and I had homemade chili colorado and refritos for Thanksgiving dinner and today we are scarfing up on a bunch of leftovers from yesterdays traditional dinners bestowed upon us by our neighbors.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,183,221 times
Saw about 500 geese today, two flights of 100+ and a bunch of more-average numbers (most of 'em around here, I've counted at 25 or so) ... not a one of 'em heading south. North, west, and east, but not south!

Got dragged (well, was coerced into driving someone else to) two different Yankscoming Day dinners with folks I'd never met before... first one was super, great cook and wonderful company. Filled up!! Second one was terrible... took token bites, glad I was already stuffed.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM

I ate, entirely too much yesterday. I saw, 5 Turkeys deep fried, 2 Turkeys roasted (one in oven, one in roaster), and 2 hams roasted. I hurt so bad by the end of the day, I never wanted to see a turkey again. I went home, kicked off my boots, changed out of long pants, put on my slippers and fixed myself a cold turkey sandwich. hahahahaha It was good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana