Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm with you Pashta, broc soup is excellent. Now I'm kind of wondering about cream of brussel sprout?
When the subject of broc soup came up, that was my first thought too -- "I wonder if anyone makes soup from Brussels sprouts? it wouldn't be too different from cabbage soup..." Clearly we are the same variety of pervert.

Why No One Eats At My House, new chapter entitled "Why is the stew purple??"

I had a can of pickled beets for dinner. I also had some leftover roast beef that wasn't very good. Inspired by the discussion on vegetable stock, I chopped up the roast beef and recooked it in the leftover pickled beet juice.

The scary thing is, it was actually pretty good that way!!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Hey Rickers, I'm also an extremely picky eater... it's just that some of the things I pick to eat are downright weird

Old 01-10-2010, 08:01 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
Yea I have to really watch what I eat these days because of becoming prone to gout and kidney stones. My wife is starting to get stones now too. Darn those pesky purines !

Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Here's something fun -- Vintage Ad Browser
appears to be an aggregator for links to images of ads online anywhere -- first one I followed was in the Duke University collection. So it may change from day to day. But today...

Some very old army recipes: Vintage Military, War and Army Recruiting Ads of the 1850s
(What the heck is "army flour" -- corn meal??)

Oh, the pain of inflation -- Vintage Military, War and Army Recruiting Ads of the 1860s

Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 PM

299 posts, read 566,342 times
Default Honest,,I MEANT for it to be purple....

First things first ... hey reziac, you mean stews NOT supposed to look purple?? Uh oh, I wonder what that stuff WAS in the tupperware I emptied into the pot.. ( waste not, want not, I say ).. It TASTED ok ... sorta.. Helpful cooking hint #4 .. Always have a picture on the table of what you cooked was SUPPOSED to look like.. It makes it taste much better..

I have a love hate relationship with brussels sprouts.. I love cabbage, and they're little cabbages, right?.. They just seem to take so long to cook, and I'm not good at waiting for things to finish cooking..I always take them out too soon, and they end up tasting way to strong .. reminding me why I don't eat them more often..But then, I'll end up buying some at a deli, and they're properly prepared, and they taste good, which causes me to buy some more to cook at home ... and the circle starts all over again.. There's a lesson in there somewhere, but it eludes me, as do most cooking lessons..However, in my defense, I always eat what I make, regardless of how it turns out.

I personally think basic potato soup is the basis for countless good meals..When you're making the potato soup, you can throw in meat, or seafood, or veggies and always end up with something tasty and filling.. ... and hopefully not purple.

ps.... There's few taste problems that alot of red pepper and garlic can't
solve ......Did I mention that I live alone.

tiberius

Old 01-10-2010, 03:35 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
It is around 34° in Homestead, FL. My house is 64°! Heat is not working very well, though I have plenty of clothes and my dogs are buried in their blankets. I am cooking picadillo right now....serve it over basmati rice. Yum! I feel bad for the farmers and the nurserymen!
yum!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picadillo

I had Cuban neighbors once

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM

More recipes, which I found because I'm having matzo-brei for dinner again (albeit decidedly non-kosher; I put ham in it!) and their matzos are especially good:

Streit's Matzos - The Kosher Grocer since 1925

I like the traditional look of their website too

Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
The picadillo I'm used to is pretty much the same as what is called shredded beef in many Tex Mex places and taco trucks. Once in a while I'll see it as ground beef and may have some potato pieces in it. Here is the Wiki page I found for picadillo.

Picadillo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
My picadillo recipe (from a Cuban cookbook) calls for:
ground beef (I use Boca Burger crumbles)
onions and a green bell pepper sauteed in olive oil flavored with annatto
garlic, a 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
3 tomatoes... ( I use a small can of peeled tomatoes)
cumin (1/2 tsp)
cook for about an hour, (I actually add some raisins, too)
add 2 tablespoons of capers, cook an additional 15 minutes
serve over warm rice

Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM

If they plow the road one more time, there won't be any speed limit left!
Lost Trail Camera
(You gotta wonder who was walking along the plowed-snow ridge, and why...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana