Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 03:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Well something broke at the races today. Maybe they will resume on Sunday if it's meant to be. Here are a few pics I took today.
Now I have the bug and want to build and race small hydroplanes !
I would have to win the lottery or something because this sport is way expensive.

A nice view of one of the contenders.

Flying on the surface of the seldom glassy Noxon Rapids Reservoir.

This plane was buzzing about over the regatta coarse.
These types of boats are on a lake by the house where I was raised every July 4th.....about 5 minutes from the house. Hearing them all day long for many hours grates on your nerves......you get to where you want to bite nails in half.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
That's so your eyes won't pop out .. When I was in first grade, a fourth grader told me that.. Since even I knew that fourth graders know everything, I figured it had to be true.. I've sneezed alot since then, and still have both my eyes.. So I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tiberius
You are on a roll! So your eyes won't pop out!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
They shut the hydroplane race down. They may schedule another one for august. I talked to an official and was told that all this extra rain that was not expected blew the rivers up so much that there is way to many logs and branches floating in the coarse that it made it too dangerous to race.

Here are a few more pictures from the race. Most of the boats here for this event are Class B outboard hydroplanes, very tiny and fun looking. Now I have to build one or two, I got the bug !

One of the racers just coming in from running around the marks.

This "tuned exhaust" motor is being fired up for the first time here.

Simple cockpits on these boats.

These flaps are on some of the boats in the other classes.

The little ding seen on the edge of the hull is what caused the race to get shut down.

I heard one spectator who saw the boat hit the branch say that the "whole right side of the boat blew up" when telling someone why the race was stopped !
It was really just a small crack on the port bow flair edge. No one was hurt, they just are very careful because of liability issues I guess.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
It was really just a small crack on the port bow flair edge. No one was hurt, they just are very careful because of liability issues I guess.
Yeah, but a little crack like that can become a total breakup under stress, or it might just the visible part of a major stress fracture. And it might be enough to throw off the aerodynamics, possibly to a dangerous degree, at the kind of speeds they reach.

Used to watch the races on TV... those boats take a beating during a race. Seen a few go ass over teakettle and one that pretty much exploded into toothpicks when it came back down.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
My old buddy crashed his car from a micro-burst.
The micro-burst was him having to sneeze real bad and when he did, his eyes closed for a second and he hit a parked car !
Sounds like maybe he caused the microburst

Friend here has even worse difficulties... he's hit two parked cars and a BUS. While riding a bicycle. I've told him the airport is off-limits.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Are these your trees that they are killing or is this just a pic?

I can't believe it! Wow!
Not my trees... just a pic someone came up with over in the Latin forum. Does look like self-hanging meat to me, tho

Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Here's something interesting -- a whole bunch of amateur and non-Hollywood films in every which genre, available for free (legal) download via bittorrent: VODO Per what I've read, some are actually very good. You can get compressed files (TV quality) or high definition versions.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM

299 posts, read 566,342 times
Default I LOVE old movies...

Rez... Thanks for the link... It looks pretty good... SO, you do that VODO... ... (sorry, I had to say that)... Here's a couple more sites... I love older SciFi and monster movies.. Also old film noir.. :

Feature Films : Free Movies : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Public Domain Movie Torrents with PDA iPod Divx PSP versions

Free Public Domain Movies

tiberius

Old 06-20-2010, 02:23 PM

Did you hear that a biologist type-of-guy, (can't remember the title exactly), got killed by a grizzly in or on the edge of Yellowstone a couple of days ago?

He was part of a group studying whatever, (sorry, can't remember much of the article), and his wife couldn't find him, so the group went back to the original spot and found his body...

Happy Father's Day to all dads and honorary uncles!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
I think the article said he was a botanist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana