Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Watched this last night:

"The Trouble With Angels" with Haley Mills and Rosalind Russell. 1966. I first saw this when I was a kid and I think it withstands the test of time. Very funny comedy about two girls in a Catholic boarding school. Ms. Russell is her usual outstanding self as the Mother Superior. It also features some of my favorites: Gypsy Rose Lee, Mary Wickes, Binnie Barnes and Jim Hutton. Directed by Ida Lupino.

(Saw this the first time at the old Fox theater in Fullerton, CA. Some of the scenes were filmed at the Fullerton train station which is about 2 blocks away. Great fun to hear the audience react to seeing a local landmark.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Today's pick. For those who think "Western" when they hear the name John Wayne. From 1962. "Hatari!"

The Duke, Red Buttons and the always beautiful Elsa Martinelli. Directed by the legendary Howard Hawks. Big game hunters round-up African animals for zoos and circus attractions. (Definitely not for the PC.) Also had a hit song, "Baby Elephant Walk" by Henry Mancini.

Released during the days of the Mercury astronaut launches, the scene where Pockets (Red Buttons) sends up a rocket to capture a tree full of monkeys stirred the heart of every 9-year old would-be rocket scientist.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
I almost forgot this one: "Capricorn One" 1978 with the infamous O.J. Simpson.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I almost forgot this one: "Capricorn One" 1978 with the infamous O.J. Simpson.
Great choice. I can remember him coming on screen and people in the audience applauding.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:28 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times
Thanks to everyone for making so many good recommendations. A lot of these I'd never heard of, but I will check out now.

Sometimes a Great Notion (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hurry Sundown (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one you should check out just for the bizarre factor. A rock 'n roller becomes president and puts everyone over 30 in an LSD camp. Shelly Winters is great as his mother and Richard Pryor shows up in this one. I'll also try to link the hit song that came out of this movie, and I'll try to find something on the star, Christopher Jones who if I recall had an interesting life. He was married to Susan Strassberg, acting coach Lee's daughter. They divorced the same year this movie came out and, after the murder of his friend Sharon Tate by the Manson family he became disillusioned with fame and gave up acting, refusing roles in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs later in life.

Got an hour and a half? Here's the entire movie..

YouTube - ‪Wild in the Streets 1968 Movie‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
[b]Time After Time[b]
H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper into then modern day San Francisco.
Mary Steenbergen looked yummy as H.G's modern day girlfriend and Jack's target.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Thanks to everyone for making so many good recommendations. A lot of these I'd never heard of, but I will check out now.

Sometimes a Great Notion (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hurry Sundown (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one you should check out just for the bizarre factor. A rock 'n roller becomes president and puts everyone over 30 in an LSD camp. Shelly Winters is great as his mother and Richard Pryor shows up in this one. I'll also try to link the hit song that came out of this movie, and I'll try to find something on the star, Christopher Jones who if I recall had an interesting life. He was married to Susan Strassberg, acting coach Lee's daughter. They divorced the same year this movie came out and, after the murder of his friend Sharon Tate by the Manson family he became disillusioned with fame and gave up acting, refusing roles in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs later in life.

Got an hour and a half? Here's the entire movie..

YouTube - ‪Wild in the Streets 1968 Movie‬‏
Somtimes a Great Notion is actually available free OnDemand right now where I am; I may watch it. It is difficult for me not to like a Paul Newman film.

Another movie that I saw the other night was Morning Glory with Katharine Hepburn, another favorite actress. It is another Pre-Code film, and is a bit of an inditement of the then-burgeoning theater industry, but I liked it (as I like all Pre-Code films) for its honesty; it doesn't sugarcoat anything.

Another, similar (but less provocative) film is Stage Door with KH as well as a host of other very young but soon-to-be famous actresses. And, of course, the very charming (and lovely) Holiday with KH and Cary Grant: I always liked them together; The Philadelphia Story is one of my favorites.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Somtimes a Great Notion is actually available free OnDemand right now where I am; I may watch it. It is difficult for me not to like a Paul Newman film.

Another movie that I saw the other night was Morning Glory with Katharine Hepburn, another favorite actress. It is another Pre-Code film, and is a bit of an inditement of the then-burgeoning theater industry, but I liked it (as I like all Pre-Code films) for its honesty; it doesn't sugarcoat anything.

Another, similar (but less provocative) film is Stage Door with KH as well as a host of other very young but soon-to-be famous actresses. And, of course, the very charming (and lovely) Holiday with KH and Cary Grant: I always liked them together; The Philadelphia Story is one of my favorites.
Check a couple pages back, I listed Stage Door, a great one with Kate and Ginger and Lucy..

How 'bout Goodbye Columbus, with Ali MacGraw and Dick Benjamin, who was also in The Sunshine Boys.

Love Me or Leave Me, with Doris Day and Jimmy Cagney
Young at Heart with Day and Sinatra
Doris Day did a great one called, Dial M for Murder as well

Grant was an interesting guy. None but the Lonely Heart!

Directed by Sidney Pollack, 3 days of the Condor, Tootsie..
starring Redford and Natalie Wood..

YouTube - ‪This Property is Condemned - Confrontation‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Check a couple pages back, I listed Stage Door, a great one with Kate and Ginger and Lucy..

How 'bout Goodbye Columbus, with Ali MacGraw and Dick Benjamin, who was also in The Sunshine Boys.

Love Me or Leave Me, with Doris Day and Jimmy Cagney
Young at Heart with Day and Sinatra
Doris Day did a great one called, Dial M for Murder as well

Grant was an interesting guy. None but the Lonely Heart!

Directed by Sidney Pollack, 3 days of the Condor, Tootsie..
starring Redford and Natalie Wood..

YouTube - ‪This Property is Condemned - Confrontation‬‏
Dial M for Murder is with Grace Kelly, not DD. But I love Love me or Leave me.

And sorry for not reading that you already rec'd Stage Door; this thread has gotten so long that it's been difficult to read every post

Old 06-15-2011, 06:53 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
[b]Time After Time[b]
H.G. Wells chases Jack the Ripper into then modern day San Francisco.
Mary Steenbergen looked yummy as H.G's modern day girlfriend and Jack's target.
I was totally entertained with this one...thanks for the reminder Pawporri!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies