Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:29 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
What is considered sexy via society groupthink in women (and men as well) has changed over the years. By today’s standards, woman like Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Jayne Mansfield, Anita Eckberg, Sophia Loren, and Mae West would likely be considered varying degrees of “heavyset.” But that definitely wasn’t the case back then, and they were the major sex symbols of their day. They were considered buxom and hot. Regardless, they all had a certain amount of that indescribable “something” about them that made them seem sexy.

And then there’s the whole Rubenesque thing, when it appears chubby was indeed sexy a few centuries ago.

Agreed also with those who say Monroe was a good actress. She often played dumb blonde types but did so well, and she did well by comic parts in films like “Some Like It Hot.” And in movies like “Niagara,” she showed she was plenty capable of other types of roles. I think it’s easy to confuse the concept of playing a dumb blonde with being a dumb blonde. I don’t see evidence that Monroe was stupid in real life. And I think it also didn’t help that she was in a lot of mediocre to bad films — plus to an extent, I think she got typecast.
There's a famous line in film "Carnal Knowledge" where gf of Sandy (played by Arthur Garfunkel), tells his friend Johnathan (played by Jack Nicholson) that she's open to his sexual advances, but if Sandy lays a hand on "that tub of lard in there" (pointing to the bedroom where Johnathan's gf Bobbie (played by Ann-Margaret) is their relationship is over.

Carnal Knowledge came out in 1971 IIRC, so was surprised that the voluptuous Ann-Margaret was described in that way.

For the record, MM was never "fat".

At start of her modeling career MM hit the tapes at:
5’ 6”, 120lbs
36-24-34
“Size 12”

At time of her death:
LA Coroner Medical Report
5’ 5 1/25”, 117lbs

Marilyn Monroe's True Size. Her clothing tells the truth.

In between MM went up and down within that range pretty much 115lbs to a bit over 120lbs. Know young women today who are 5' 6" to 5' 7" who weigh about same (120lbs) and they are far from fat.

What MM had was a natural hourglass figure women then and now would kill for; this was helped by a generous bust line (D cup) with a very small waist.

Also dress sizes have changed dramatically since the 1950's. Thus a size "12" would be about a "6" or "8" today. https://curiosityaroused.com/culture...-a-size-12-16/

In contrast Kim Kardashian is far more on the "zaftig" side of things than MM. But MM's figure was all hers; while KK has lots of silicone including breast implants. Women also weren't into heavy exercise like females today. So MM like most other women of 1950's had a more softer and jiggly shape due to natural fat deposits. Few if any women in 1950's had "wash board" abs or whatever. To keep their hips and derrieres in control they wore girdles. That undergarment or others also were employed to flatten the stomach and give the illusion of a smooth line beneath clothing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-18-1970s.html

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-18-2019 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 AM

19,400 posts, read 15,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There's a famous line in film "Carnal Knowledge" where gf of Sandy (played by Arthur Garfunkel), tells his friend Johnathan (played by Jack Nicholson) that she's open to his sexual advances, but if Sandy lays a hand on "that tub of lard in there" (pointing to the bedroom where Johnathan's gf Bobbie (played by Ann-Margaret) is their relationship is over.

Carnal Knowledge came out in 1971 IIRC, so was surprised that the voluptuous Ann-Margaret was described in that way.

For the record, MM was never "fat".

At start of her modeling career MM hit the tapes at:
5’ 6”, 120lbs
36-24-34
“Size 12”

At time of her death:
LA Coroner Medical Report
5’ 5 1/25”, 117lbs

Marilyn Monroe's True Size. Her clothing tells the truth.

In between MM went up and down within that range pretty much 115lbs to a bit over 120lbs. Know young women today who are 5' 6" to 5' 7" who weigh about same (120lbs) and they are far from fat.

What MM had was a natural hourglass figure women then and now would kill for; this was helped by a generous bust line (D cup) with a very small waist.

Also dress sizes have changed dramatically since the 1950's. Thus a size "12" would be about a "6" or "8" today. https://curiosityaroused.com/culture...-a-size-12-16/

In contrast Kim Kardashian is far more on the "zaftig" side of things than MM. But MM's figure was all hers; while KK has lots of silicone including breast implants. Women also weren't into heavy exercise like females today. So MM like most other women of 1950's had a more softer and jiggly shape due to natural fat deposits. Few if any women in 1950's had "wash board" abs or whatever. To keep their hips and derrieres in control they wore girdles. That undergarment or others also were employed to flatten the stomach and give the illusion of a smooth line beneath clothing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-18-1970s.html
I saw that movie when I was pretty young, and I don't remember much of it, but I always remember that scene because I, too, was really surprised by that comment. Ann-Margret? A tub of lard? That woman was just jealous.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:01 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I saw that movie when I was pretty young, and I don't remember much of it, but I always remember that scene because I, too, was really surprised by that comment. Ann-Margret? A tub of lard? That woman was just jealous.
She gained weight for that role. Director Mike Nichols told her to 'eat, eat, eat' and put her on birth control pills so the hormones would increase her bust. Years later, Ann was still trying to lose the weight. Here she is at 77

https://www.aol.com/article/entertai...-now/23210730/

Old 09-20-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
She gained weight for that role. Director Mike Nichols told her to 'eat, eat, eat' and put her on birth control pills so the hormones would increase her bust. Years later, Ann was still trying to lose the weight. Here she is at 77

One of the few to have a happy long term Hollywood marriage (to Roger Smith of 77 Sunset Strip fame).

Great to see these pictures of "real" females today, that show all them with imperfections and all. Today everything is photoshopped to death to create *perfection*.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Really is sad to downright disturbing what they put actors and actresses through back then for film roles. That stuff would never fly today.....

But still Jack did take notice of results! Hahahaha

https://www.ultimatemovierankings.co...edge_bimbo.jpg

Old 09-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Was a kid when CN came out so didn't see it in theatres. Only caught it years later on cable or television, thus am not sure if ever saw the fully unedited version.

Do recall the controversy in media (did the suits help it along?), where the SCOTUS declared CN was *not* obscene. IIRC had something to do with the ratings ("X" or "R").

Again not having seen film in theaters don't know what was so "obscene", but it was the 1970's and plenty had bees in their bonnets about that sort of thing.

As for rest of it; yeah Sandy's gf was jealous. She was a "modern" 1960's/1970's woman; all ball buster, thin and uptight (Sandy seemed to go in for that sort). Meanwhile Bobbie was perhaps a throwback to the MM/1950's era. When you consider "Twiggy" was the ideal female form in 1960's and 1970's you can see where things were going.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w780/ygEy...F8J9oHgEgR.jpg

Old 09-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Was a kid when CN came out so didn't see it in theatres. Only caught it years later on cable or television, thus am not sure if ever saw the fully unedited version.

Do recall the controversy in media (did the suits help it along?), where the SCOTUS declared CN was *not* obscene. IIRC had something to do with the ratings ("X" or "R").

Again not having seen film in theaters don't know what was so "obscene", but it was the 1970's and plenty had bees in their bonnets about that sort of thing.

As for rest of it; yeah Sandy's gf was jealous. She was a "modern" 1960's/1970's woman; all ball buster, thin and uptight (Sandy seemed to go in for that sort). Meanwhile Bobbie was perhaps a throwback to the MM/1950's era. When you consider "Twiggy" was the ideal female form in 1960's and 1970's you can see where things were going.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w780/ygEy...F8J9oHgEgR.jpg
Yep, same here.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:

But I mean I was surprised when the character said it in the movie. I had already seen Ann-Margret's character and her weight. Still wouldn't characterize her as a "tub of lard," even if she had gained for the role. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies