Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 01:19 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

Many photos of young Marilyn before nose and chin surgery, without makeup. Plus many photos of her various experiments with hair and makeup before settling on her iconic look designed by her makeup artist Whitey Snyder (who made up her corpse per MM's wish). She copied Greta Garbo's eye makeup and her one time roommate Shelley Winters taught her to separate her lips for her classic smile

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/518265869588528502/

If you want to try Whitey's tricks on your own face, here is a tutorial by celeb makeup artist Lisa Eldridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAneUTr8mog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
Has hate reached a point where to satiate the addiction to hate even Marilyn Munroe gets to be hated?

Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Has hate reached a point where to satiate the addiction to hate even Marilyn Munroe gets to be hated?
I think the OP is just very young

Old 09-13-2019, 03:23 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Oh okay. Well I looked it up and there doesn't seem to be any proof of an affair and it seems like it's all theories and rumors. Unless I am not looking in the right spots.

C'mon.

Some of us don't need Google, and remember the times this was addressed and finally acknowledged.

"Rumors," my asinine.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Steve Buscemi and Christopher Walken pretty much ARE as strange as the characters they portray. Bogart was acting roles (he and Bacall were not always "nice" people IRL).

I remember the broadcast of that "Happy Birthday" she did, and being sooo embarrassed for Jackie. Talk about a turd in a punchbowl moment.

Appearance-wise, Monroe's eyes were farther apart than normal, which gave an appearance of innocence that she played up. Some guys go gaga over that trait.

...or the appearance of an alien lol, which guys, I'd assume, don't go gaga over.

BTW, her eyes weren't anywhere near as wide-set as Jackie Kennedy's.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
I was never impressed with her acting, never thought much about her really.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:34 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
My wife has taken a recent fascination to Marilyn Monroe. Some factions learned was that she was one of the first to undergo plastic surgery that was incredibly dangerous back then. Using unsafe materials, procedures, and risks for infection was rampant. Any bit explained her "diva-like" behavior...she was trying to force the issue and get the studio to release her from her contract. She was a pioneer that helped break some of the horrible control that studios had over the actors...especially young female actors...a la Judy Garland.

While I've seen plenty of Gene Kelly, Grace Kelly, Ginger Rogers, and Fred Astaire flicks, I have never seen a Marilyn Monroe movie.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:05 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Heterosexual female born several years after Monroe died....I can see the appeal of Monroe, based on her photos, especially her movies. She had a sort of....'glow'...about her (ironic, considering all the crap going on in her life) that you have trouble keeping your eyes off of. There are people like that--no matter how they rank, looks-wise, there's just that something about them that draws people in, and I think Monroe was one of those people.
That 'glow' is what made Marilyn Monroe the ultimate Hollywood sex symbol. The camera loved her like no other woman, and she had no bad angles. But she could also act pretty well at first, and before she died she became much better.

There have been many other women who came before or after Marilyn who were just as beautiful, so why is Marilyn still so well remembered for so long after her death?

It has to be the combination of her beauty and her acting skill. Marilyn was always a vulnerable woman. Even in parts where she played a strong woman (River of No Return), or a villain (Niagara), or a lusty self-centered bimbo, I think her vulnerability always showed. It made men want to possess and protect her, and it made women want to comfort her.

Interestingly, her make-up artist, a man, said Marilyn was hairy; she was covered in very fine silky blonde hair, and under the strong camera lights, she literally gleamed. The glow was real.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:19 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I was a kid then, but she was a HUGE sex-symbol and people were fascinated with her. It was the beginning of the (platinum) "blonde bombshell" era. Brigitte Bardot in France was another one, and Jayne Mansfield was kind of the trashier version of Monroe. I loved JFK and thought he could do no wrong. I remember being a little upset when Marilyn did that sexy rendition of Happy Birthday, because again, I thought he could do no wrong....had no idea what was going on behind the scenes.
Since this thread was resurrected from the dead, am going to jump in with this: Miss. Jayne Mansfield was an intelligent, smart (very high IQ), and extremely calculating woman. The whole "trashy" bit was her gimmick just as Marilyn Monroe and other actress (and actors) had their own at time.

Janye Mansfield's "character" was Marilyn Monroe on steroids; taken to the ninth degree if you will. Jessica Rabbit ages before anyone even thought of that cartoon character.

Thing about JM is she wasn't to be pitied for her "act", but was in on the whole thing. Other bombshells like MM turned that part of themselves off when needed. JM however lived as "Janye Mansfield", she used what she had to get what she wanted and or needed.

Of the 1950's blonde bombshells only two became enduring icons; Marilyn Monroe and Jane Mansfield, though both for different reasons.

Contrary to popular belief the 1950's was about to some extent the outrageous. JM took the fetish of stacked female figure (large breasts, hips and derriere) and exaggerated her already natural curves, then bumped and grinded around like a burlesque show. It was like a drag queen or trans with her exaggerations of what a woman should be; but again JM was in on the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz6Y9aHGIQ

MM wore herself out mentally and physically trying to get the suits in Hollywood to take her for a serious actress. JM just said "eff it", if that's what they want, I'll give it to them in spades.

Last edited by BugsyPal; 09-18-2019 at 03:05 AM..

Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
Again, since this thread was brought back from the dead...

OP you just don't know what you're talking about, period, end of story.

Against common belief then and now Marilyn Monroe was far from a "dumb" blonde, and besides being quite intelligent also grew to know her craft (acting) very well.

Like many actors and actresses of the 1940's and 1950's Marilyn Monroe played roles she was assigned, and was expected to give the "suits" what they hired her for; to wit a blonde and dumb sex pot. That pretty much was the range expected of her acting early in her career (Some Like It Hot, All About Eve, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, etc...)

However later on MM took a more serious interest in her acting skills. She fought and demanded better roles that just dumb blonde, but studios pushed back. This is when you start to hear about her being labeled "difficult" Yes, the pills and mental issues contributed to that label, but plenty of other actors in Hollywood had those same problems from Judy Garland on down.

MM eventually left Hollywood for a bit, went to NYC and began taking classes at the Actors Studio. There she studied method acting and you can see a difference in some of her later roles.

Catch MM in "Niagara" or "Prince and the Showgirl". Yes she's still playing a stacked blonde, but the roles otherwise had far more depth. Larry Olivier detested working with MM in "the Prince and the Showgirl", but later admitted in interviews she blew himself and anyone else in a scene with her out of the water. When crew, cast and actors gathered to watch the rushes after each day's filming it was unanimous; MM was not only radiant, but dominated every scene she was in.

Marilyn Monroe had a very difficult life from childhood through teens and young adult. Raped as a young girl (by one of the lodges at a foster mother's boarding house), a mother locked away in an asylum, then suffering fate all to often that happens with young attractive females. Looking for love in all the wrong places from guys that only wanted sex.

While one does detest cheap sentimentality; that Elton John song "Candle in the Wind" pretty much sums up MM's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies