Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 04:56 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
She was a very attractive woman. No doubt.

A gifted actress? No. Not even a little.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:59 PM

Oh I thought she was suppose to be playing really dumb caricatures on purpose, but you are saying it was bad acting perhaps?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:24 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh I thought she was suppose to be playing really dumb caricatures on purpose, but you are saying it was bad acting perhaps?
I have no idea if it was intentional or not. I have seen three or maybe four of her movies. She displayed the same lack of acting ability in all of them.

But she was gorgeous.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:31 PM

188 posts, read 203,010 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be insulting towards her as I am sure she was a very attractive woman for her time, and the majority seem to agree, but so far I have seen her in two movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blonds, and Some Like it Hot.

In those movies though, she acts very similar in both, and she plays a total bimbo, and plays the bimbo persona to a hilt. I think it takes away whatever attractiveness she has, unless of course people are going by how she was in real life, but you think that the characters she played would have some sort of an effect on how people viewed her attraction wise. But what do you think? I am seeing her the wrong way?

I'm not totally sure what you're getting at. Are you saying she was less attractive in those movies while playing a bimbo character, or do you mean the fact that she played bimbo characters at all makes her unattractive as a person?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 PM

I mean that her playing characters like that, makes her very unattractive as a person on screen. If she plays it like that in other movies besides those two, that makes me even more dumbfounded as to why she was considered a sex symbol.

Last edited by ironpony; 06-04-2018 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 06:37 PM

Gentlemen Prefer Blonds and Some Like it Hot were comedies, so I don't think most people were expecting her character to be very deep or smart. Even if she was typecast and only ever got to play bimbos over her entire career, I don't think that would affect her sex symbol status much. She was a woman, so to society the most important thing about her was her physical beauty, not her talents or what kind of fictional characters she played. (I can't think of any physically unattractive women that were sex symbols, but I can think of men who weren't conventionally attractive who became sex symbols because of the intelligent characters they played, like Benedict Cumberbatch playing Sherlock or Hugh Laurie playing House. There's different standards for men and women.)

Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM

Well I think that how an actor acts in movies must have some effect on how they are perceived, sexual attraction wise.

For example, I read that James Franco is one of the sexiest men in Hollywood according to some sites. But imagine if he acted in hall his movies, the way he acts in The Disaster Artist. If he did acted like that in every movie, wouldn't it catch up to him, and people who find him sexually attractive, might just think uh-uh after a while of acting in that way?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:11 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
What set her apart from the other pin ups who had a starring role or two from her era to be remembered by us, most of who never saw her except when an old movie rotated to on of the three local TV channels? Well there was the first issue of Playboy which left less of her to the imagination than her acting/sex symbol competition. The marriage to baseball Hall Of Famer Joe DiMaggio, who lucky for the publicity minded played for the New York Yankees. Then there was the public sexual flirtation of President Kennedy in an era when general reporters didn't gleefully report on celebrities, political or entertainment celeb's extra marital sexual affairs

Old 06-04-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well I think that how an actor acts in movies must have some effect on how they are perceived, sexual attraction wise.

For example, I read that James Franco is one of the sexiest men in Hollywood according to some sites. But imagine if he acted in hall his movies, the way he acts in The Disaster Artist. If he did acted like that in every movie, wouldn't it catch up to him, and people who find him sexually attractive, might just think uh-uh after a while of acting in that way?
I have seen the trailer for The Disaster Artist before and had no idea that was James Franco!

If that was the only kind of character he ever played, I highly doubt he'd become a sex symbol since he doesn't seem that attractive to start with. I'm assuming he's had some good roles or is intelligent, charming, etc. (Or is James Franco conventionally attractive? I'm not too familiar with him and can't tell from what I see on google.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
What set her apart from the other pin ups who had a starring role or two from her era to be remembered by us, most of who never saw her except when an old movie rotated to on of the three local TV channels? Well there was the first issue of Playboy which left less of her to the imagination than her acting/sex symbol competition. The marriage to baseball Hall Of Famer Joe DiMaggio, who lucky for the publicity minded played for the New York Yankees. Then there was the public sexual flirtation of President Kennedy in an era when general reporters didn't gleefully report on celebrities, political or entertainment celeb's extra marital sexual affairs
Those are very good points. Besides being a movie star, she was a model, singer and major celebrity (for your above reasons), so there's other aspects of sex appeal separate from her beautiful bimbo characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies