Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The difference between MJ fans and Beatles fans is this....

MJ fans usually express how MJs music has moved them and how they connected personally to his music. MJs music has heart and soul; it has a depth that resonates.

Fans of The Beatles tend to act as if The Beatles invented the art of music itself. There is an arrogance and a sense of self importance that comes across from Beatles fans....a "how dare you" question the fact that The Beatles are the greatest.

Well, everything you just said is contradicted by the MJ fans in this thread.

I don't know how many times I've read "MJ is the greatest there ever was" in this thread alone!

Beatles fans don't think or say they invented music, since they know The Beatles had influences like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jeery Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, The Everly Brothers, Bob Dylan, etc.

What they DO say is that they revolutionized music and made Rock-n-Roll mainstream.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Well, everything you just said is contradicted by the MJ fans in this thread.

I don't know how many times I've read "MJ is the greatest there ever was" in this thread alone!

Beatles fans don't think or say they invented music, since they know The Beatles had influences like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jeery Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, The Everly Brothers, Bob Dylan, etc.

What they DO say is that they revolutionized music and made Rock-n-Roll mainstream.
lets be serious, how many times have beatles fans make the assumption that mj was just an entertainer and the beatles were supposedly real music theses types often ,but not always, know absolutely nothing about mjs musicianship and is just talking out of their as*

Mj fans know that he had influences aswell- James brown,frankie lymon,jackie wilson,sammy davis,fred astaire,charlie chaplin.....

What we do say is that mj changed music and revolutionized how music was marketed and created

The fact beatles fans wish to go on and on about everything but music says alot

Old 12-14-2010, 03:36 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
lets be serious, how many times have beatles fans make the assumption that mj was just an entertainer and the beatles were supposedly real music
I dunno??? I haven't seen that here on THIS thread.

Quote:
theses types often ,but not always, know absolutely nothing about mjs musicianship and is just talking out of their as*
Well, how often have you seen MJ playing any instrument? I know he is capable of it, but he never does it in public.

That said....none of the Beatles were the best at their respective instruments. McCartney surely wasn't the best bassist or pianist, Lennon wasn't the best rhythm guitarist, George wasn't the greatest ever lead guitarist, and Ringo wasn't one of the best drummers.

I will say though that George was one of the most innovative guitarists ever. He had a unique ear for using just the right sound in the right places.

Quote:
Mj fans know that he had influences aswell- James brown,frankie lymon,jackie wilson,sammy davis,fred astaire,charlie chaplin.....
...and The Beatles

Quote:
What we do say is that mj changed music and revolutionized how music was marketed and created
I'm not sure HOW he changed music and how it was marketed may well be the fact that his stuff came out at a different time (such as having instant media, MTV, and music downloads).

Quote:
The fact beatles fans wish to go on and on about everything but music says alot
Beatles fans don't need to defend their music.....that's already a given.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
It's not too hard, preface with the love for MJ or any other artist with in my opinion. See, ultimately it is merely your opinion that MJ is one of the greatest musicians and entertainers in the world.

Music is, and has always been subjective. What moves you might not move me. It doesn't make either person wrong. That is the beauty of this form of art.

Appreciate what both entertainers brought to the world stage in music, and enjoy it

Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I dunno??? I haven't seen that here on THIS thread.

Well, how often have you seen MJ playing any instrument? I know he is capable of it, but he never does it in public.

That said....none of the Beatles were the best at their respective instruments. McCartney surely wasn't the best bassist or pianist, Lennon wasn't the best rhythm guitarist, George wasn't the greatest ever lead guitarist, and Ringo wasn't one of the best drummers.

I will say though that George was one of the most innovative guitarists ever. He had a unique ear for using just the right sound in the right places.

...and The Beatles

I'm not sure HOW he changed music and how it was marketed may well be the fact that his stuff came out at a different time (such as having instant media, MTV, and music downloads).

Beatles fans don't need to defend their music.....that's already a given.
1. Michael jackson was a composer and is credited as playing instruments on his albums. There many artist out their that can play instruments and does so on stage, doesnt mean there anywhere near mj as an artist. And it has nothing to do with ones genius of structuring and composing a song. Michael had a great understanding of music.

2. Your right the beatles were nothing special to write home about skill wise with their guitar playing. Performance wise i dont know if they were really above average in anything, the way mj was with dance for instance

3. I would say the beatles were a loose influence. His music is much different and more soulful overall.

4. Thriller changed music. That goes without saying. Anybody in the industry than and now could tell u that

5. Mjs music speaks for itself aswell. But this is a music forum and a music comparison. So i would really rather us compare music than u and others bringing up his debt and things that have nothing to do with anything

Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
I would be hard pressed to put them in the top 50% of musicians but that being said they were one of the best bands as far as being able to play very well together. As I said in my first post, in Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, he talks about how the Beatles by a stroke of luck were able to play in Hamberg Germany for about 4 or 5 years, several nights a week 8 hours a day. Very few bands in history have been able to play together that many hours, even bands together for 30 years.

I still find this whole thread kinda funny, my opinion is that the odds are for a band to appeal to as many people as the Beatles and MJ have, you need to be kinda watered down. Very few people enjoy really great musicians and complex music, they tend to go for the simplistic music.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

I still find this whole thread kinda funny, my opinion is that the odds are for a band to appeal to as many people as the Beatles and MJ have, you need to be kinda watered down. Very few people enjoy really great musicians and complex music, they tend to go for the simplistic music.
Billie jean is complex music. Dont stop till u get enough is complex music. If you can show me an artist that masters the uniqueness of billie jean than you've got a point. They haven't made a song like that before and haven't made one since

Disregard billie jean as a pop song. Really get into it. Notice the style of singing in it, the adlibs, the subject matter, the beat, the dance, the emotion

The emotion that mike put in his songs gives it that extra touch. Whether its billie jean or a song like earth-song. Its that raw emotion. Hes had that since he was a little boy

Beatles music lacks soul in my humble opinion. Listen to john lennons imagine and than listen to earth song or man in the mirror(in its entirety). Michael is saying what he has to say and at the same time putting his heart into it. I dont get that from beatles music.I listen to imagine and realize that lennon was clever on his outlook on mankind. I listen to man in the mirror or earth song and fully feel what mj is saying just off his raw emotion in the song

Look at a song like this. I've never heard anything from the beatles expressed like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQJPL9Yuq0

Old 12-14-2010, 09:05 PM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
If u put MJ...PaulM....John L...EltonJ....BillyJoel....Stevie Wonder.....

All in seperate rooms , in the prime of their song writing ....with

One instrument of choice...no electronics.... + voice...

Write "three songs in 3 days....

NO WAY WOULD...MJ STAND OUT....& EVERYBODY KNOWS IT

IN THAT AMOUNT OF TIME WITH ONE INSTRUMENT MJ "MAY" HAVE ONE TUNE THAT WAS
REASONABLY GOOD BUT NO WHERE NEAR THE BEST ...NO QUESTION ABOUT IT

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
If u put MJ...PaulM....John L...EltonJ....BillyJoel....Stevie Wonder.....

All in seperate rooms , in the prime of their song writing ....with

One instrument of choice...no electronics.... + voice...

Write "three songs in 3 days....

NO WAY WOULD...MJ STAND OUT....& EVERYBODY KNOWS IT

IN THAT AMOUNT OF TIME WITH ONE INSTRUMENT MJ "MAY" HAVE ONE TUNE THAT WAS
REASONABLY GOOD BUT NO WHERE NEAR THE BEST ...NO QUESTION ABOUT IT
This is retarded and not based in anything resembling fact..just like the rest of your post. You dont know what any of those artist would think up. Stop trying to belittle a titan. U sound stupid. If you dont like mike than just say that and leave it alone. Feel me

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM

Michael had two songs with a beatle- sir pauland out did him on both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2SREgQN-sc

Mike only sung the hook on this second mj/beatles collab and still out shined paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5slm9f1s6y0

Had two duets with stevie. The first one-just good friends was a tie i admit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XBUfDGzjfw

But in the second collab mj got it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKdQPDZ63DA

Stop trying to make it seem like these artist are above mike. Its laughable, nothing suggest that when there on the same track together

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 12-14-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music