Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I'm a guitarist (rythym and lead) and here are my favorites:

Guitar - Randy Rhoads (RIP), Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch (Dokken), Warren Di Martini (Ratt), Yngwie Malmsteen, and Ted Nugent (or Ted Nuisance)

Vocals - Don Dokken (Dokken), Jeff Tate (Queensryche), Lita Ford (good looks and a great voice), Ann Wilson (Heart), Steve Percy (Ratt), Rob Halford (Judas Priest) Even though I can't stand him!

Bass - Jeff Pilson (Dokken), Geddy Lee (Rush), Ian Hill (Judas Priest), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Eddie Jackson (Queensryche)

Drums - I'm a little stumped on this one, but Neil Peart (of Rush) is definitely up there.
As a guitarist myself I can definitely appreciate where you come from with your choices . After reading your list I had to grab the Ipod . We need to start a thread for guitarists with what do you play , amps , effects and styles. Ah what the heck , Ill start one when I get home tonight .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
In the best drummer category, I have to add M ick Brown, of Dokken.

This is strange, I had to put a space in 'M ick' because for some reason they don't like the word, and I end up with "****"

Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,360 times
That's happened to me with Jagger, Fleetwood and Jones. Weird software innit?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:55 PM

660 posts, read 2,440,952 times
lead singer i would have to say jim morrison he was a total rock god
for guitarist i would have to say jimmy hendrix or slash from guns n roses

Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 PM

578 posts, read 2,529,302 times
In what genre of music? What constitutes 'the best' in Opera or classical guitar sez nothing of the expertise of Eric Clapton in the realm of Rock genius, does it? Or just strumming along on a hay wagon like C&W guitar pickers? impossible to answer; its a matter of opinions, like that is NOT any ONE movie scene, no single 'best' actor, no solitary best food.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM

What about the one-armed drummer? He could be considered 'the best' since he is working twice as hard to make the same effect? see? impossible to answer; matter of opinion and Genre. past or present? we dont know who was the best before recorded music came out do we? Good thing Enrico Caruso got to sing on a 78rpm platter before he died eh?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Jim Morrison didn't have a good voice, was not a musical talent; just got drunk and sang some good songs. He was as good a singer as Jimi Hendrix, who admittedly had a bad voice; but amazing fingers.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
In what genre of music?
Your choice....Pick whichever one(s) you like .....

Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
What about the one-armed drummer?
Rick Allen of Def Leppard is very good....There's not right or wrong ...just pick who YOU think are the best in the categories......

Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I always thought it would be cool to see who is the best in these positions so i'll start for those interested.

Best Lead Singer... Steve Perry............Journey
Best Guitarist........ Eddie Van Halen.......Van Halen
Best Bass ............ Steve Harris ...........Iron Maiden
Best Drummer ...... Nearl Peart............. Rush

Thats my favorates....
Say (for the sake of debate) that someone was a classical/opera fan? Then who is Steve Perry of "Journey"? Therefore we cannot say (whether contemporary) or not, who is THE best better or good, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music