Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Rick View Post
I think if people would give MTA the chance they would love it. It's so much more relaxing to take the train in than having to navigate through I-40 traffic. You can put headphones on and escape into your own world, read the paper or even get work done.

On second thought, I'm pretty sure I've seen people doing all of those activities while driving on I-40. ;-)
And eating, putting make up on, reading, ........ Oh I mean in a car not on the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Ryan how often do you actually ride the MTA buses to get around town? You said they are "hardly" on time. The only reason I question this is because I actually do ride the MTA buses ALL THE TIME & my experience has been that it is like clockwork, rarely more than 5 minutes early or late. Last Friday the bus was running behind about 8 minutes & MTA sent a supervisor out in a van to come around & bring people to the shelter Downtown. It was vital to do that because otherwise people would be missing their transfers.
I haven't rode the MTA buses since 2001. I lived in Madison and just moved to Nashville and didn't have a car. I was 18 and worked at K-Mart in Madison. The bus was NEVER on time and I ended up losing my job because of it.

I ended up getting another job and a car loan and haven't rode the bus since.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM

71 posts, read 144,671 times
My sister and I just got back from Nashville on a scouting road trip. We drove up last Thursday and got back Sunday night. Quick trip.

But I had researched Nashville (my sister wants to move there) before we left. I read comments about the biking issues, the traffic, etc.

So I was very aware of what to look for -- as a casual visitor on a tight schedule.

Will have to say that the traffic on Friday and Saturday was better than expected (we live in over-crowded tourist laden Orlando). Did see bikers headed to the Natchez Trace Parkway (Gorgeous!)

Did see more growth than I expected (although this is not necessarily a bad thing...e.g. jobs).

I'll stop here, but my sister is excited to plan her Exit Plan from Florida soon. I may follow later... no city is perfect, but Nashville and the nearby areas sure were beautiful and looked inviting to us.

Just my opinion...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper3 View Post
My sister and I just got back from Nashville on a scouting road trip. We drove up last Thursday and got back Sunday night. Quick trip.

But I had researched Nashville (my sister wants to move there) before we left. I read comments about the biking issues, the traffic, etc.

So I was very aware of what to look for -- as a casual visitor on a tight schedule.

Will have to say that the traffic on Friday and Saturday was better than expected (we live in over-crowded tourist laden Orlando). Did see bikers headed to the Natchez Trace Parkway (Gorgeous!)

Did see more growth than I expected (although this is not necessarily a bad thing...e.g. jobs).

I'll stop here, but my sister is excited to plan her Exit Plan from Florida soon. I may follow later... no city is perfect, but Nashville and the nearby areas sure were beautiful and looked inviting to us.

Just my opinion...
Camper, As a fellow " native " Floridian, I can honestly say that Orlando is a toilet compared to Nashville. I moved here around 2000 from Tampa and It was the best thing I had ever done.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 PM

71 posts, read 144,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Camper, As a fellow " native " Floridian, I can honestly say that Orlando is a toilet compared to Nashville. I moved here around 2000 from Tampa and It was the best thing I had ever done.
I moved to Orlando when I was very young. So I've seen it go downhill over many years. It is a shame. Back in the day, it was a nice small town with very little crime. Those days are long gone.

This Nashville forum is very good. I'll keep reading and help my sister decide which side of town to look for an apartment (and a job)!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper3 View Post
I moved to Orlando when I was very young. So I've seen it go downhill over many years. It is a shame. Back in the day, it was a nice small town with very little crime. Those days are long gone.

This Nashville forum is very good. I'll keep reading and help my sister decide which side of town to look for an apartment (and a job)!
If you need any info just use the PM and I'd be glad to help. There are a helluva lot of good people in this Nashville forum and they'd all be willing to go the extra mile to help someone see why they should make Nashville their next hometown.

Hope to see you around.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,944 times
Good news:

Dean names panel on walking, bicycling in Nashville | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Ryan how often do you actually ride the MTA buses to get around town? You said they are "hardly" on time. The only reason I question this is because I actually do ride the MTA buses ALL THE TIME & my experience has been that it is like clockwork, rarely more than 5 minutes early or late. Last Friday the bus was running behind about 8 minutes & MTA sent a supervisor out in a van to come around & bring people to the shelter Downtown. It was vital to do that because otherwise people would be missing their transfers.
wow, the supervisor came and picked you guys up? that's pretty awesome.

TNRyan, it's virtually impossible to have a bus system that runs perfectly on time because of factors like traffic and weather. you just have to play it by ear. i know that if i can leave my house by a certain time, i won't have to wait much more than about 5-8 minutes for a bus after riding the train.

(strangely enough, here in Chicago it seems like if you are scrambling around running late at home, you will inevitably show up 15 minutes or more early to your destination... it's some sort of wacky CTA curse or something.)

it's not like a train that can generally stick to a schedule...

Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I was pleasantly surprised that a supervisor came around, I guess a lot can change in 7 years

Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 AM

290 posts, read 1,054,041 times
I love Nashville. I have lived here since 1982. But, my Grandparents and a few of my Aunts were born here. My Grandmother graduated from Hume-Fogg on Broadway. She and my Grandfather had their "Summer Home" on Drakes Creek in Hendersonville, so I have been in and out of Nashville since the mid 50's. I remember when the downtown skyline was one tall building (The L&C Tower). The State Capitol was very prominent and could be seen coming into town from any direction.

Nashvillians are a wonderful group of people. But, they seem to change when they get behind the wheel of an automobile, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I noticed in my 26 years living here, the drivers have improved somewhat.

One thing I do not like, what ever highway you drive into Nashville (not the Interstates) all the power lines hanging all over the place look like the back of my home entertainment center. They are not a pretty site, but I hear it is too expensive to bury them, due to the rocky nature of the ground around here.

Also, you can drive on one road and it will change names 2 or 3 times without you ever turning off of it. There is one named Harding Place, then Battery Lane and I think it turns back into Harding or Harding Place once it is over towards Belle Meade.

And, we do not have a good Oldies Radio Station. There is the one at 88.5, WVCP, from Volunteer State Community College, which I love to listen to, but it gets interference from WAY-FM at 88.7 in different areas of Nashville. Also, there is another good one out of Columbia at 101.7 called WKOM, but it fades in and out quit badly while driving around Nashville.

But, for the most part I love this city and all it has to offer.

Buzz aka BuzzCam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville