Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does barking dog or other noise bother you?
Yes it bothers me 98 79.67%
No it doesn't bother me 7 5.69%
It bothers me but not that much 18 14.63%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I think they mentioned an acre...

I hadn't mentioned it, but it IS nearly an acre, between the 2 lots, and the newer lot (the one we're working on) doesn't have electric on it yet.

Yes, I guess we could plug extension cords into extension cords with an electric one...but we don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Noise will or will not bother me depending on whether is originating with someone being inconsiderate.

A dog that alerts (barks) for a short amount of time? No problem. A dog that barks continuously? Yes, it's a problem, or more importantly, gets on my nerves. Party next door? Sits in back yard until the AMs yelling and being loud - problem. Makes an attempt to go inside and keep the noise down - no problem.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-01-2018, 12:55 PM

My next door neighbor has a next door neighbor that has a beagle.

The beagle has a doggy door to come and go as it pleases. (Into a fenced back yard.) The problem is, sometimes the dog goes outside late at night because it hears something, and then it's barking like a beagle barks, at who knows what, right outside my neighbor's bedroom window.

Not fun, but what do you do? I guess the owners could somehow block the doggy door at night maybe.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:12 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
No one's going to rake an acre. Those were simpler times when you wanted to keep the kids busy but quiet.

Are electric leaf blowers much quieter?
I wouldn't know about leaf blowers, but I had an electric mower once and it wasn't noticeably quieter than a gas one unless you mowed the cord. Then it was real quiet. Except for the neighbors laughing.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I wouldn't know about leaf blowers, but I had an electric mower once and it wasn't noticeably quieter than a gas one unless you mowed the cord. Then it was real quiet. Except for the neighbors laughing.

Did that with electric hedge trimmers. Twice. LOL

Old 08-01-2018, 04:16 PM

801 posts, read 451,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
IMHO the keys to noise are the 1) duration, 2) frequency, and 3) volume. The actual NOISE itself (barking, leaf blower, traffic, aircraft, music, screaming seabirds, etc) isn't usually the problem.

I have a neighbor who often takes care of someone else's dog over weekends. I know the dog doesn't live there all the time. It seems to suffer from separation anxiety, so why it is any better to lock the dog up alone THERE rather than it's own home makes little sense. Well, based on the other idiotic things this neighbor does I don't think THEY think. Anyway, this dog doesn't bark, it MOANS. Starting off at a low pitch, rising into a crescendo and dwindling down again. Endlessly, hour after hour after hour. It isn't loud, but it's constant all day long, all weekend. Guess it ticks off box 1 and 2 out of 3.

On weekends when this neighbor isn't locking up the miserable moaning dog all alone, they run every tool or powered appliance that is possible to connect to a portable generator/air compressor. Once it coughs into life at about 7 am I know it stay in use until at least 11 pm. Just the sound of that motor firing up, surging, idling, surging again places a background drone over the entire day. Once again, volume isn't the biggest issue, it's the constancy.
My gawd, this falls under a whole different level of noise problem!
I would take a contract out on that neighbor (just satire, mods!), or otherwise deal with him in a severe manner.
I would have to move or make him move, one or the other.
I'd probably get a recording of dolphins "singing" or such, get a couple of those huge outdoor speakers, point it towards said neighbor's bedroom and fire it up around 11pm.
This would be the start of either a negotiation or a war leading to one of us moving or the problem being resolved.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
I must be going DEAF, according to the Mrs, but not the E.N.T last time he did a hearing test, I can be really good with noises during normal hrs, because other mortals and their pets also live in this world around me.

We live in the boonies close to the agricultural Areas of SW Miami where is dead quiet, specially at night, but in top of that we are in The Hammocks and several communities are within those Hammocks Boundaries, protected by private security 24 hrs a day.

If anyone gets too loud, specially on weekends and one minute past midnight, we just call them and problem resolved.

We had a back neighbor with a 24 hrs constant yapping dog, good thing they moved out really fast when Security kept coming back from everyone complaining daily.

Communities with equal RULES for everyone, most of the time work in favour of MOST of the people living in them. To me that is WORTH a Lot.
I totally agree and am looking for such a community I can afford to move to. Am looking up towards Central Florida but so far, haven't found anything with rules against barking dogs. They seem to have no City or County barking dog nuisance laws either.

I will move to almost anywhere where it does not snow, and where they have and enforce noise laws/rules!

I currently live in the country. I bought 10 acres and specifically was told no one would or could develop the land next to me.
Then right before I finally was able to retire here I found out a neighbor bought that land and is developing it and plans to move there. Okay, "hope for the best!" I thought.

Last year the neighbor who is just now finally building next to me, put his German Shepard in a closed shed about 50 yards from me right on the property line. It barked incessantly for hours on end and I called him and said the dog was barking incessantly and could he do something about it please, as it is very loud from my house.

He said, "If you don't like dogs barking, you should have bought a bigger property!"
At that, we got into an argument and that's that, he is clearly a guy who can't be reasoned with. (This is confirmed by other people I know who know him, and think he's an ass_.)

There are no barking dog noise or any noise laws here so I'm screwed. Trying to sell my property and move to a quiet place where there are rules about noise that are respected and enforced.

I used to live in a 22 unit apartment building in Los Angeles and even that was quieter than my country estate! Here we have barking dogs on all sides (distant but not distant enough!), farm machinery at least 7 days or so a month, sometimes more, and loud motorcycles and ATV's (hate 'em!) going down the road 100 yards away that seem to have engines that are meant to be extra loud for some reason.

But my wife is not bothered by barking dogs or construction noise or ANY of it!

I would feel BLESSED if I was like that, as it would make my life much more enjoyable and peaceful! Unfortunately all noise bugs the hell out of me: leaf blowers, weed wackers, dogs barking, kids yelling, babies crying... EVERY noise listed here bothers me to the point I cannot relax or concentrate or enjoy myself, and I cannot stand it even with earplugs and noise-cancelling headphones. And I cannot live my life wearing earplugs and headphones all day every day!

So I am at the extreme end as far as noise sensitivity and I get that most people are not as sensitive to it as I am.
But at least according to this poll and other forums I've read, many many people are bothered by both barking dogs and noisy neighbors. So I feel vindicated at least in being somewhat normal in this regard.

But to me the bottom line is that good neighbors try to respect their neighbors' wishes and try to compromise with them no matter what the problem. A neighbor who says "Too bad, _____ u!", is certainly not a good neighbor nor even a good human. IMHO.

Last edited by movingvanmorrison; 08-01-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 04:43 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
There are few things I find more annoying than barking dogs.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If a dog bothers you several hundred yards away, unfortunately, that's on you. People move to the country to drive their ATV, keep a pack of beagles, shoot, etc...

I don't think its unreasonable for a neighbor to enjoy hobbies that use power tools, either...

What is reasonable in an apartment is different than a subdivision and different than acreage in the county.

If you truly want silent isolation, you need to isolate yourself completely.
I totally disagree with this.
I think that no matter where you live you should respect your neighbors right to enjoy peace and quiet.

I also think your statement that "People move to the country to drive their ATV, keep a pack of beagles, shoot, etc..." is wrong.

SOME people move to the country to do that stuff, but others move there for the peace and quiet, to hear and see birds and wildlife, and those things you list annoy those who are there for the peace and quiet.

What right do you have to ruin your neighbor's peace and quiet? Who said the "country" was for people to make noise in? Who told you that you don't have to be considerate towards others in this world?
Thank god I'm not your neighbor!

Old 08-01-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Out on our rural 5 acres, noise was terrible. Rooster, guinea hens, peacocks, dogs barking from all directions. For hours on end, sometimes.

Now in our condo, can't hear a thing except the ocean crashing, and occasionally the squeal of a happy child on the sand.

What I can't figure out, is WHY hasn't a device been invented to stop dogs barking? C'mon! Someone could make millions! (I bought a few and nothing works)
I couldn't agree more! Scientists should get to work on this right away!

In my opinion people who let their dogs bark for more than 5 min at a time are jerks who have no consideration for others. Obviously they were not raised the way I was, to respect others' peace and quiet. I am glad my parents raised me to be respectful of others but it seems too many people were not raised this way.

I would pay a lot of money for a device I could point towards the incessant barkers and make them stop.

And honestly I am surprised, given all the stories on here about incessantly barking dogs, that people don't DO something about it.

Why is that everyone thinks it's "okay" for dogs to bark incessantly?

Why must we as neighbors have to put up with it?
Why aren't there "barking dog noise" laws that are enforced in every community?

In Los Angeles they have a "Barking Dog Noise" ordinance. When I lived there I used it several times against neighbors who let their dogs bark on and on. it worked great.

Here's how it worked (and I'm putting it here to encourage you and your neighbors to get a similar law passed on your community)!

• Dog barking is not allowed for more than 10 min at a time.
  • You call Animal Control and file a complaint.
  • They schedule a meeting with you and the dog owner to talk about the problem.
  • You provide proof or convince the officer that yes the dog barks incessantly (I used a tape recorder; the officer asked the owner if that was his dog, he said yes. I also had neighbors sign a letter stating that this dog bothered them as well and address of the offending dog owner listed in the letter.
  • The officer told the owner if he didn't stop the incessant barking they would take his license to own a dog away from him.
  • The noise stopped, and soon the owner (who rented the house behind me) moved out. He apparently wanted to live somewhere where he could leave his dog chained up all day while he was at work and let it bark its head off.
I really think all of us who are bothered by barking dog noise should do our best to get these kinds of laws passed in our communities.

Why? Because the right to live a life free of incessant barking dog noise should be given, and violating this right should be punished in a way that would stop the behavior.

Every dog owner has the responsibility of training their dog not to bark. It's not that hard. There are various methods to do this. People who don't do it are asses who have no consideration for their neighbors in my opinion. (Can I say that? Hopefully so. It is my opinion.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature