Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times

Advertisements

I have a question for some of you opposed to gays/same sex-marriage.

If a major company were to consider relocating to Nebraska bringing millions in new tax revenue, good paying jobs, and new residents to the state but the company wanted to make sure that it's gay employees were treated fairly and the same as their straight employees, and that was the major deciding factor on a company relocating here, would you still be for such laws against rights for gay people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I have a question for some of you opposed to gays/same sex-marriage.

If a major company were to consider relocating to Nebraska bringing millions in new tax revenue, good paying jobs, and new residents to the state but the company wanted to make sure that it's gay employees were treated fairly and the same as their straight employees, and that was the major deciding factor on a company relocating here, would you still be for such laws against rights for gay people?
I believe that all companies already have the right to treat their gay and straight employees fairly.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
I would be opposed. We have an oversupply of jobs here in Omaha. We should probably cut back some.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I believe that all companies already have the right to treat their gay and straight employees fairly.
That may be a companies policy but that doesn't ensure any sort of protection. Last year when Ernie Chambers tried to pass a bill making sexual orientation a protected class for employment it was killed. I still have the article at home. I specifically remember one western state senator saying that if the bill was passed that we could be forced to hire "pedophiles and cross-dressing teachers".

Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I would be opposed. We have an oversupply of jobs here in Omaha. We should probably cut back some.
Which would you be opposed to? And where is this over supply of jobs you're talking about?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
Which would you be opposed to? And where is this over supply of jobs you're talking about?
Ah, my comment was just tactless sarcasm. After I read it I figured it may sound wrong.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
I specifically remember one western state senator saying that if the bill was passed that we could be forced to hire "pedophiles and cross-dressing teachers".
That is a very likely outcome isn't it (the cross-dressing part, not the pedophile part)

Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
That is a very likely outcome isn't it (the cross-dressing part, not the pedophile part)
How do you know anyone you don't already work with now or teaches your kids now is a cross-dresser? And what does it matter?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM

370 posts, read 1,357,371 times
Quote:
I specifically remember one western state senator saying that if the bill was passed that we could be forced to hire "pedophiles and cross-dressing teachers".
Link/source, please?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
Link/source, please?
I read it in the print addition and I kept the copy. I'll be more than happy to put the full quote from the senator and the date of the article when I get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska