Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:47 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NJ's gun laws are not one of it's finer points.
Massachusetts are even worse yet the NRA hails Romney as a hero. I'd bet his attitudes change if he's elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Can't drive from NJ to Maine via Mass with a pistol unless you notify Mass first.

That was in place before Mitt i believe.

the most polite place on earth is a gun show. everyone does their best to be nice to everyone else....and that's the way it should be

'can you splain to me lucy' why, with all the strict nj gun laws, the murder rate in Newark continues unabated since the 70s?

the gangs simply fail to subscribe to strict gun laws

Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Can't drive from NJ to Maine via Mass with a pistol unless you notify Mass first.
Federal law says otherwise, though that won't help you when you're in jail.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
This is exactly what happens.

Hold in your hand all the laws you want and you will get a blank stare and possibly arrested. Two recent cases in Nj, both jailed both innocent. One guy was imprisoned and later his case overturned and Chris C dumped the activist judge who tossed this guy in the slammer. the other was a gun dealer who had the misfortune of an airline breakdown which landed in Nj instead of Allentown. Being truthful was his downfall.

then there was the famous BB player who shotgunned his chauffer and somehow missed having the 3 yr madatory imprisonment applied when a crime is committed using a firearm.

Legalese is the official language of the USA. We are unable to function without lawyers. Sam Colt if he were alive today would forgo carrying his 45 long colt in favor of a lawyer in his hip pocket.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Total BS. The FOPA regulates interstate transportation of firearms. Your two examples have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original statement. As I make the trip quite often, the comment is without grounds.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Total BS. The FOPA regulates interstate transportation of firearms.
Which might (or might not) save you from a conviction, but won't save you from an arrest or get your guns back afterwards. All these so-called legal protections don't mean a thing when those running the system ignore them at their leisure.

Quote:
Your two examples have absolutely NOTHING to do with the original statement. As I make the trip quite often, the comment is without grounds.
You're an ex-cop, right? Rules which apply to us peons don't always apply to you, you know that.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Now that I live in NC it is a whole different story. Everybody owns guns and anybody who want to carry probably does. So what does this do to the mentality of the general population knowing that almost everybody else is armed?
People like myself who never needed a gun now all of a sudden knowing that the guy walking down the road could be carrying and at any time could turn his weapon on me are now buying guns for "protection"
So the fact that they are legally carrying is concerning, but the fact that there are probably just as many in the inner cities of NJ who are carrying but that isnt concerning? I do not understand the logic.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM

[quote]Can't drive from NJ to Maine via Mass with a pistol unless you notify Mass first.[quote]
And yet the comment concerning travel through MA is still groundless. I'd like to see documentation on that statute. Or simply another made up internet lore?

And no, I get no exemption from state laws and in fact have greater limitations in many. Seems facts aren't high on your requirements for commenting.

Last edited by rscalzo; 08-26-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 05:45 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
So the fact that they are legally carrying is concerning, but the fact that there are probably just as many in the inner cities of NJ who are carrying but that isnt concerning? I do not understand the logic.
Smart people stay away from the inner cities.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
'can you splain to me lucy' why, with all the strict nj gun laws, the murder rate in Newark continues unabated since the 70s?

the gangs simply fail to subscribe to strict gun laws
The vast majority of guns that are used to commit crimes in this state are not from NJ. They come here from other states with far less restrictive gun laws; mainly via trade shows and straw purchases. While it's true that NJ's gun laws are seemingly ineffective, the reason they are is because getting a gun is a relatively simple matter of going to another state or having someone do it for you. So, is it NJ's laws that are broken or the other states? I would agree that NJ's laws are generally overbearing and have some incredibly odd restrictions for legal gun owners, but I think the issue really lies in the other states that are essentially supplying our gang bangers with guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Federal law says otherwise, though that won't help you when you're in jail.
There is a similar issue now in NJ with the whole Amtrak firearms provision. You can get on a train in the south and check your perfectly legal firearm. If you end up having to get off the train in NJ, you are now in violation of NJ state law and can be arrested. It's patently ridiculous. Another reason in my mind we need more sensible gun legislation. NJ shouldn't be able to arrest someone for possessing a perfectly legal firearm or ammunition just because they happened to bump into the police while travelling through the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey