Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
There is a LOT of factors in determining an area's violent crime rate! Now, just because one area may have more favorable factors (better educated population, higher income, etc.) towards lower violent crime rates, does NOT mean that more reasonable regulation is a bad idea. What I mean is that just because a given area has a reasonably low level of violence, does NOT mean that sensible regulations should be ignored. Low violent crime rates do not mean we should become lax or believe that our actions can not effect less fortunate communities. Yes, we need to attack the main causes of high levels of violent crime in certain communities. However, that does not mean that we should not take proper actions while such social problems still exist to remedy the problem. So what I am trying to say is that although there are many more important factors determining the level of social problems in a given community, does not mean we should ignore other remedies to the problem.
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Those states don't really compare well to the Northeast in terms of demographics, wealth, education levels, etc, they might as well be completely different countries in many respects.

Guess what the two safest states in the USA are? Vermont and New Hampshire (tied with Iowa). New Jersey, with it's strict laws, is 22nd.

Vermont basically does not have any gun laws. You may buy whatever guns you'd like in the store and carry them all around however you'd like, concealed, open, whatever. No permits required for anything.

New Hampshire allows open carry of a firearm, and is a shall-issue state for concealed carry permits. Meaning, if you are legally allowed to own a firearm in the USA, and you apply for a permit, they are required to grant you it within 14 days.
VT & NH - homogeneous states with small populations. Not really representative of anything.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,350,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What?
Sound like the poster is talking in circles.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM

302 posts, read 629,938 times
Ridiculously hard. My husband was a Marine and is now a cop who carries his gun even off duty yet to buy his own he needs a background check, needs to be fingerprinted and fill out a stack of paperwork.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM

161 posts, read 264,646 times
Gun laws in NJ are absolutely ridiculous. Bottom line, unless you have a spotless record, you're not getting a firearm (DEF can NOT carry a firearm in NJ).. or you do what most people do in states like this do, buy illegally like every criminal... because criminals follow the law.. (har har).

Anyways, yes I own my own legally and it took months just to get an okay to make a handgun purchase (plus lots of paperwork).

Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times
Quote:
New Hampshire allows open carry of a firearm,
That was done to allow carrying while in the expansive wooded areas. Do so in any city areas and you will find yourself the subject of attention. Few will support the open carry in the more urbanized areas. Many bars or establishments serving alcohol will allow firearms to be carried inside.

Incidents involving firearms are certainly not unheard of in NH and haver been increasing dramatically Easy purchase means a lot of people who have no clue what they are doing buy them. The smart ones take advantage of the numerous inexpensive training courses made available.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,432 times
I've lived in PA and as long as your not a felon you can buy a firearm.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,432 times
There's a App called Legal Heat for smartphones check it out it has all the gun laws for all the states!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times
People in other forums don't believe me when I say that NY & NJ has such strict laws. I think its ridiculous.

A friend of my dad was robbed in NY once, and couldn't protect himself from the intruders. He had to wait till the cops arrived, and in the meantime the armed and powerful robbers "peacefully" stole his hard earned cash and car . The vehicle, and stolen cash was never recovered by the police . By the time cops arrived, damage had already been done. We cant live in fear of criminals as law abiding residents. Some of you here may call this paranoia. But after speaking to a victim of robbery, it only takes just once to feel this way.

Someone needs to extinguish these thugs, and its up to us if the cops cant make it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,939,382 times
And now they want to reduce magazine capacity limits from 15 rounds too 10 rounds with no grandfathering. Law abiding, gun owning citizens will be made into criminals overnight. Little by little every piece of the 2nd Amendment is being stripped from NJ resident. Sigh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey