Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,982,514 times

Advertisements

Long story short, yes, it is incredibly difficult to get a carry permit in NJ if you can get one at all. More importantly, you should know that if you attempt to obtain one and are denied (and you almost certainly will be), you will need to disclose that the next time you apply for a permit anywhere. Most states that require some kind of permit/license to carry (basically anywhere that allows CCW besides Alaska, Arizona, and Vermont) will ask "Have you ever been denied a permit/license to carry?" in the application process. Answering "yes" to this question will likely complicate/slow down the approval process. Just something to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:13 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Long story short, yes, it is incredibly difficult to get a carry permit in NJ if you can get one at all. More importantly, you should know that if you attempt to obtain one and are denied (and you almost certainly will be), you will need to disclose that the next time you apply for a permit anywhere. Most states that require some kind of permit/license to carry (basically anywhere that allows CCW besides Alaska, Arizona, and Vermont) will ask "Have you ever been denied a permit/license to carry?" in the application process. Answering "yes" to this question will likely complicate/slow down the approval process. Just something to keep in mind.
A very good point. Unless its changed since I had my NJ permit, they are only issued if you can demonstrate a need. Like employment, in my case. I was told at the time applying for a carry permit in NJ with the reason listed as "Self protection" or anything similar would result in denial. And the very last step in the process (again if it hasn't changed), after the fingerprinting, background check, range qualification, letter of need from the employer, etc, was that the permit had to be signed by a Superior Court judge in the county in which the applicant resides. The JSC could simply refuse to sign the permits for any reason at all and the application would die at that point. I remember having to wait months for mine because the judge in my county only worked on carry permits for one hour every month. And this was in the early 80s!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:33 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Smart people stay away from the inner cities.
What about the people who conduct business or have to work there?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
What about the people who conduct business or have to work there?
For me I started early retirement so I didn't have to visit the hood.

If you have to work there then a CC is probably not a bad idea.

I think anybody who owns a business in the hood should be will armed because the"dealers "are.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM

233 posts, read 225,780 times
Default oh well in NJ.

carry permits to retired police have been changed from carry age 70 to 75. after that cops can't carry anymore. what is the magic with 75.......everyone instructed cops over 75 are off limits to shoot ???
Needless to say I lost my retired police carry permit when I reached 70 (years ago). Also police have to pay $50 a year for carry permit and re-qualfy twice a year.
Now, non police carry permits one has to qualify ONCE year, and there is NO age limit. So non police can carry up to 100 years of age or over ????? make sence to you. I don't have to tell you the logical minds of N.J. elected officials. Most of whom are anti-gun minded, but their body guard carries a gun......

There are over 1,000 non police carry permits in N.J. But, no one can tell you why police lose their carry permit at 75, but not so with non police carry permits. No age limit ??? Try asking State Police why the age restricted for police as opposed to non police carry permits. You get NO answer, cant' tell you says police.........

Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
?
no - it's very easy, it's just a process you have to go through. get your firearm ID card. it takes some time, depending on what town you live in, but it really isn't a complicated process. i do believe conceal carry is restricted to only those who need it for their profession though, but i could be mistaken.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The vast majority of guns that are used to commit crimes in this state are not from NJ. They come here from other states with far less restrictive gun laws; mainly via trade shows and straw purchases. While it's true that NJ's gun laws are seemingly ineffective, the reason they are is because getting a gun is a relatively simple matter of going to another state or having someone do it for you. So, is it NJ's laws that are broken or the other states? I would agree that NJ's laws are generally overbearing and have some incredibly odd restrictions for legal gun owners, but I think the issue really lies in the other states that are essentially supplying our gang bangers with guns.

There is a similar issue now in NJ with the whole Amtrak firearms provision. You can get on a train in the south and check your perfectly legal firearm. If you end up having to get off the train in NJ, you are now in violation of NJ state law and can be arrested. It's patently ridiculous. Another reason in my mind we need more sensible gun legislation. NJ shouldn't be able to arrest someone for possessing a perfectly legal firearm or ammunition just because they happened to bump into the police while travelling through the state.
your first point is something Bloomberg has spoken about - what's the point of having tighter gun control if your neighboring states have relatively loose gun control that kills the point of your gun control laws. it's why sensible, federal laws make the most sense.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,939,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
no - it's very easy, it's just a process you have to go through. get your firearm ID card. it takes some time, depending on what town you live in, but it really isn't a complicated process. i do believe conceal carry is restricted to only those who need it for their profession though, but i could be mistaken.
True. I applied for my firearms purchasers ID card and one handgun permit recently. Had to be fingerprinted, fill out a bunch of forms and provide them with two references. They mailed paperwork to my references that had to be completed and returned.

I received my ID card and handgun permit in eight weeks. Would have been sooner, but my one reference's wife threw out the first envelope that came from the police department thinking it was a plea for a donation.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
True. I applied for my firearms purchasers ID card and one handgun permit recently. Had to be fingerprinted, fill out a bunch of forms and provide them with two references. They mailed paperwork to my references that had to be completed and returned.

I received my ID card and handgun permit in eight weeks. Would have been sooner, but my one reference's wife threw out the first envelope that came from the police department thinking it was a plea for a donation.
yeah - i was a reference for a friend not too long ago. took about 6 weeks start to finish. i knew it was coming, or i woulda tossed it too!

and since everyone who wants a gun is getting it for recreational purposes, supposedly, whether you can get it in 5 days or 50 days shouldn't really matter. hehe

Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 PM

233 posts, read 225,780 times
you want a gun carry permit move to Pa. (wish I had)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey