Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
People in other forums don't believe me when I say that NY & NJ has such strict laws. I think its ridiculous.

A friend of my dad was robbed in NY once, and couldn't protect himself from the intruders. He had to wait till the cops arrived, and in the meantime the armed and powerful robbers "peacefully" stole his hard earned cash and car . The vehicle, and stolen cash was never recovered by the police . By the time cops arrived, damage had already been done. We cant live in fear of criminals as law abiding residents. Some of you here may call this paranoia. But after speaking to a victim of robbery, it only takes just once to feel this way.

Someone needs to extinguish these thugs, and its up to us if the cops cant make it.
And if your dads friend had a gun, the chances are good that he would have been out of his hard earned cash, his nice car and may be 6 feet under in a wooden box. For the record I did a tour in Vietnam and 30 plus years in law enforcement. I have been in situations where fellow soldiers and cops couldn't pull the trigger and that's what they are trained to do. I've seen countless cases where a person decided to "PROTECT" themselves during a robbery and things didn't go well for them. I'm not saying that people should not protect themselves, but I am saying that many have no business carrying a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
And if your dads friend had a gun, the chances are good that he would have been out of his hard earned cash, his nice car and may be 6 feet under in a wooden box. For the record I did a tour in Vietnam and 30 plus years in law enforcement. I have been in situations where fellow soldiers and cops couldn't pull the trigger and that's what they are trained to do. I've seen countless cases where a person decided to "PROTECT" themselves during a robbery and things didn't go well for them. I'm not saying that people should not protect themselves, but I am saying that many have no business carrying a firearm.
so those people can choose not to have a gun. they can roll the dice and let the armed criminal decide whether or not they live. let other people make their own choice on whether or not they want to have the ability to have some say in whether or not they live. you also may be in a situation where its not just you but also your wife & children whose lives are now in the hands of an armed criminal. i would say that if you dont want to have a gun in that situation, that you dont care about your wife and children.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so those people can choose not to have a gun. they can roll the dice and let the armed criminal decide whether or not they live. let other people make their own choice on whether or not they want to have the ability to have some say in whether or not they live. you also may be in a situation where its not just you but also your wife & children whose lives are now in the hands of an armed criminal. i would say that if you dont want to have a gun in that situation, that you dont care about your wife and children.
you can care about your wife and child, and still be very concerned about the legal consequences of using a firearm when things don't go as planned. if you end up shooting an innocent bystander... what then? Don't be a hero.

I'd carry a gun myself to protect the lives of my family if I thought it was necessary, but realistically, how often are you going to be attacked in your normal day to day life? Assess the risk. Do you bring your wife and child to bad neighborhoods at night? If no, then most likely they can go out during the day by themselves to shopping centers without worrying too much about getting into a shootout.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
you can care about your wife and child, and still be very concerned about the legal consequences of using a firearm when things don't go as planned. if you end up shooting an innocent bystander... what then? Don't be a hero.

I'd carry a gun myself to protect the lives of my family if I thought it was necessary, but realistically, how often are you going to be attacked in your normal day to day life? Assess the risk. Do you bring your wife and child to bad neighborhoods at night? If no, then most likely they can go out during the day by themselves to shopping centers without worrying too much about getting into a shootout.

Nothing goes as planned and all gun owners should definitely have some training. I sure like my chances a lot more having guns at home than not. BTW - I live in an area with virtually no violent crime.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post

Nothing goes as planned and all gun owners should definitely have some training. I sure like my chances a lot more having guns at home than not. BTW - I live in an area with virtually no violent crime.
You mean "live" to see the next day?

Well sure. That's the belief of anyone who owns a gun for personal protection. But if someone hasn't calculated the risks of carrying and potentially using, with or without appropriate training, they could be as dangerous as an actual criminal and be treated as such all because of good intentions gone awry.

Last edited by arrieros81; 04-16-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:

i think the understanding in my post is that the choice to carry a gun may not end up perfectly. so you choose whether or not you risk the negative consequences to have some say in whether or not you and your family survive. what if i shoot an innocent bystander? that would be a horrible result but that possible result doesnt change my desire (and obligation as i see it) to defend myself and my family.

its not that big of a deal to carry a gun. you also may choose certain times to carry and other times to not. ultimately, it will only take 1 time of you not being prepared for your life to be changed forever. so while you may walk through newark on a daily basis and say "nothing has ever happened" well the one time it does happen, you or your wife could be dead.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
You mean "live" to see the next day?

Well sure. That's the belief of anyone who owns a gun for personal protection. But if someone hasn't calculated the risks of carrying and potentially using, with appropriate training they could be as dangerous as an actual criminal and be treated as such all because of good intentions gone awry.
Things are more likely to go awry involving cell phones and driving than defending yourself with a gun.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Everyday when you wake up you are taking a risk in life. Having the right to protect yourself and family is jus that, a RIGHT. Nobody is being forced to buy a gun , it is an option. If you dont like it, then dont buy it. I love how people have this attitude of " oh that would never happen here" , yea i said that many times too but **** has happened. Just because you dont like something doesnt mean nobody else shouldnt have it.

Last edited by aedubber; 04-16-2014 at 11:39 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Quote:

You are right, so then maybe police officers should turn in their guns if thats how you feel

Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Things are more likely to go awry involving cell phones and driving than defending yourself with a gun.
That's not an even comparison though and you know it. My SO is also one of the gun nuts who makes these kind of arguments and cannot stand to hear anything moderate-based. But i think you're sort of right. The opportunities for being injured in a car accident are probably far greater, than the opportunity to hurt yourself or someone else while defending yourself with a gun.

So if that's the case why would anyone care about having a gun to protect themselves when they really have to watch out for texting drivers. I think both sides of the argument are clear but to pretend one side doesn't exist is what drives potential gun rights supporters away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think the understanding in my post is that the choice to carry a gun may not end up perfectly. so you choose whether or not you risk the negative consequences to have some say in whether or not you and your family survive. what if i shoot an innocent bystander? that would be a horrible result but that possible result doesnt change my desire (and obligation as i see it) to defend myself and my family.

its not that big of a deal to carry a gun. you also may choose certain times to carry and other times to not. ultimately, it will only take 1 time of you not being prepared for your life to be changed forever. so while you may walk through newark on a daily basis and say "nothing has ever happened" well the one time it does happen, you or your wife could be dead.

I reread your earlier post. Anyways, I think that gun rights should come with required training on situational use, probably very similar to what training the police and military get. And more people would accept gun ownership if they had exposure to it in a positive and proactive atmosphere, instead of the negative press guns get when there's a shooting in the news. I think it should be regulated like the DMV, but so far there's no requirement for training, and I'm not sure that the law enforcement community and government would want to provide such training to civilians. So if CC is actually approved in NJ, you have to keep an eye out not just for the criminals, but for other civilians who may decide to play hero and have a gun on them, who may not know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of and know how far a bullet can travel after it passes through a human body at point blank range. I know this may sound somewhat hysterical but it's a valid concern IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey