Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 45,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I They bought up houses left and right and rent to illegals and section eight turning lovely tree lined communities into slums.

The Haredi don't send their children to the public schools but are on the school board to cut the school budget so the community can have lower taxes. I have to send my child to a private school because they have destroied the once fine schools in Lakewood.

You obviously don't have children or you would care about what they have done to destroy the community. aside from destroying the school system they won't let their children play with your children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
when the uoj started moving in i put my house up for sale thinking that i would move far away. all i can say is that thank god no one bought it. after becoming close with them i realized, they dont take drugs, no gangs, no crime. for me its a dream come true, living in a safe place. to all you ppl that complain about them going to pray, let them, they dont bother you. you are all just upset that you cant be like them or their children.

good luck to all you haters out there, maybe you should move to some drug infested area then maybe you will be happy.
“you are all just upset that you cant be like them or their children.” This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard – why would I want to be apart of a closed society like being friends with different kinds of people, and I would never want to be the sort of person thinks its OK to prosper at the expense of others.

Mike must not have kids, definitly doesn't have any hometown Pride

All the activities are gone. Girl Scouts. Boy Scouts. When I was in LHS Marching Band (1995) there were 200+ kids in the band, the last time I went to a football game 2000 there were 30 kids on the field – hope your kid didn’t want to be in the band. Do they still teach music in the schools? with all of the budget cuts music and art programs are usually the first to go. Little league. Biddy league. It broke my heart when I found out Mecadia Baptist Church would no longer hold it Cotillion. There was a time when Lakewood had 3:30, 5:500, 6pm buses to take kids home from after school, after I graduated in 98’ the UOJ on the school board were moving to do away with the after school buses. All the things that kept Lakewood kids out of trouble are no more – that’s were the gangs and the crime come in.

They bought up houses left and right and rent to illegals and section eight turning lovely tree lined communities into slums.

Has anyone seen High Point lately it looks like the projects

Old 10-27-2007, 09:17 PM

57 posts, read 309,701 times
I should make it clear that many in the Haredi community are very upset by the real estate investors (slum Lords) among them. Many of the young families around me want a nice clean neighborhood and try to put pressure on these slumlords to ether rent to a higher quality Tennant or to sell the property. Theses young families are for the most part good neighbors.

I do however hear many complaints from these same neighbors that they don't want to pay a dime for the public schools and would like to do away with them completely.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,868 times
I grew up in Lakewood, and I MUST say that the town has changed DRASTICALLY. Besides the rudeness issues,(which I also have experienced quite often), as well as the AWFUL driving conditions that now plague this town, is the issue of the ultra-orthodox jewish community buying up the property, turning the residential neighborhood into private schools for their own tax-free purposes, and spending the tax-payers' dollars for their own private bussing and schooling! This amazes me...they don't mind gentiles when it comes to free money from them! And how is it fair that they are taking away funding from public school children for PRIVATE schools??WHY is Lakewood in a deficit when it comes to schooling? Because the taxpayers are tired of not seeing their money go to good use. When was the last time the public students of the township took a school trip somewhere??Or had the opportunity to stay after school to take a cooking class??There is simply not enough money for them, and it is WRONG & unfair! Meanwhile, members of the UOJ community are taking meals, provided by the state for children in the public school system that cannot afford their meals, and giving it to private school students, unknown to the state officials.(They were supposed to have paid it back, but I never heard anything about it since it surfaced) If they would do this, imagine what else goes on that NO ONE HEARS ABOUT! I think it's time for the government to start doing some serious investigating as to our laws and the loopholes in the system, because I believe the "gentiles" have an UNFAIR disadvantage, at our own expense.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscv View Post
I grew up in Lakewood, and I MUST say that the town has changed DRASTICALLY. Besides the rudeness issues,(which I also have experienced quite often), as well as the AWFUL driving conditions that now plague this town, is the issue of the ultra-orthodox jewish community buying up the property, turning the residential neighborhood into private schools for their own tax-free purposes, and spending the tax-payers' dollars for their own private bussing and schooling! This amazes me...they don't mind gentiles when it comes to free money from them! And how is it fair that they are taking away funding from public school children for PRIVATE schools??WHY is Lakewood in a deficit when it comes to schooling? Because the taxpayers are tired of not seeing their money go to good use. When was the last time the public students of the township took a school trip somewhere??Or had the opportunity to stay after school to take a cooking class??There is simply not enough money for them, and it is WRONG & unfair! Meanwhile, members of the UOJ community are taking meals, provided by the state for children in the public school system that cannot afford their meals, and giving it to private school students, unknown to the state officials.(They were supposed to have paid it back, but I never heard anything about it since it surfaced) If they would do this, imagine what else goes on that NO ONE HEARS ABOUT! I think it's time for the government to start doing some serious investigating as to our laws and the loopholes in the system, because I believe the "gentiles" have an UNFAIR disadvantage, at our own expense.
I don't know the first thing about Lakewood and couldn't even point to it on a map. If true, I am on your side on the issue, but I don't understand how a private school is getting tax dollars or tax funded social programs. How is the money being funneled into the private school system? If this is happening, why hasn't the news media picked up on it? Homeowners still have to pay property taxes to fund the public schools, dont they?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 AM

64 posts, read 315,066 times
I grew up in lakewood - and although I have not lived there in more than 15 years, my family still does. We are not jewish. The town has changed dramatically and I wish I could say it was for the better. The schools are in deplorable shape and a big part of it has to do with the funding. The jewish community has bought up a tremendous amount of real estate (and continues to do so) and they are eating away at the money that is available to the schools. They do this by not passing the budget each year as they have no desire to fund the education of the non jewish students. This is a detriment to the community as a whole. I personally have no problem with the jewish community, however, they are very isolated and have absolutely nothing to do with the outside world. Unforutnately I do not think this will ever change and although for the most part things are not "dangerous" - there are always those few bad apples (both jews and non jews alike) that will ruin it for everyone.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM

828 posts, read 3,137,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
I don't know the first thing about Lakewood and couldn't even point to it on a map. If true, I am on your side on the issue, but I don't understand how a private school is getting tax dollars or tax funded social programs. How is the money being funneled into the private school system? If this is happening, why hasn't the news media picked up on it? Homeowners still have to pay property taxes to fund the public schools, dont they?
The media did, in fact, pick all of this up.
There was a huge story that ran over several days in the Asbury Park Press several years ago.
Lakewood is like a town out of the US. It actually has the feel of being in a foreign country. This is not to say that all of Lakewood, and its Hassidic community, are awful. I have been a customer in two of its Hassidic businesses, and been taken care of very nicely.
I am not a very religious person, so much of what the Hassidic's stand for falls upon deaf ears. But what bothers me about Lakewood is how people of any religious sect can, willingly, alienate themselves from the rest of their town, state or country.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,085 times
First of all,the majority of Lakewood is NOT Hasidic. Hasidic means that you follow a certain Rebbe (religious mentor) and there are different sects like satmar,bobov, ger etc... Although there are some Hasidic sects in lakewood,the majority is not. You may call them ultra orthodox but not hasidic. Secondly,before there was an influx of jewish people into lakewood in the late 80s and early 90s and through today,Lakewood was wrought with crime.You could not walk anywhere at night without being really frightened. Although there still is crime in lakewood,its not nearly as bad as it was and now its only concentrated in a few areas throughout the town. Look at the numbers throughout the years on APP.com | Monmouth and Ocean counties DataUniverse | Asbury Park Press

There is low crime in jewish communities. Whats wrong with people having their own religion and doing their own thing? This is the land of the free. Its a basic right of each individual.Jewish people dont go trying to force their ways upon anyone. They practice what they believe and live life in their own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
The media did, in fact, pick all of this up.
There was a huge story that ran over several days in the Asbury Park Press several years ago.
Lakewood is like a town out of the US. It actually has the feel of being in a foreign country. This is not to say that all of Lakewood, and its Hassidic community, are awful. I have been a customer in two of its Hassidic businesses, and been taken care of very nicely.
I am not a very religious person, so much of what the Hassidic's stand for falls upon deaf ears. But what bothers me about Lakewood is how people of any religious sect can, willingly, alienate themselves from the rest of their town, state or country.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:20 AM

828 posts, read 3,137,831 times
THere are other Orthodox Jews in this country, and state, that do not alienate themselves from the rest of their town, state and country.
People in this country complain about the Middle East because of the different sects that countries like Iraq have. We complain about the religious fanatics that countries like Iraq have. If you live in Lakewood then you probably know more about the town than I do. I live about 20 minutes south, and have driven thru the town hundreds of times. I just see what is going on in Lakewood as something that is not part of 99.99999% of the rest of this countries population. Have you ever talked to any of the women in this community? What about the fact that they must shave their heads, and that many of them wear wigs? Many of these woman have no sense about what is going on in this country.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
THere are other Orthodox Jews in this country, and state, that do not alienate themselves from the rest of their town, state and country.
People in this country complain about the Middle East because of the different sects that countries like Iraq have. We complain about the religious fanatics that countries like Iraq have. If you live in Lakewood then you probably know more about the town than I do. I live about 20 minutes south, and have driven thru the town hundreds of times. I just see what is going on in Lakewood as something that is not part of 99.99999% of the rest of this countries population. Have you ever talked to any of the women in this community? What about the fact that they must shave their heads, and that many of them wear wigs? Many of these woman have no sense about what is going on in this country.

If people want to alienate themselves,thats their choice.They arent harming anyone.Amish people alienate themselves and you dont see anyone telling them not to. In fact,people specifically go to amish country to observe them. If women want to shave their heads and wear wigs,its their choice. Are they harming someone by wearing a wig and shaving their head? Most of these women have jobs,some professional ones,so they do know whats going on in this country. I live in Lakewood and have for the past 7 years.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 8,823 times
Exclamation lakewood orthodox community issues

these are the problems with the lakewood orthodox community:

- my friends live there i a retirement community and when i goto visit by public transportation - i am petrified of the bus stop. it is more crime laden and shady than nyc port authority was in the 80's.

- when i say i am going to call the police and have a cop car come by they get scared and say - "oh no don't do that, the mayor of the town says it is an nj transit issue". the mayor is an orthodox woman. they vote in blocks so the orthodox run the town - and they run it down bc they don't care about anyone besides their community.

- no wonder there is a homeless camp of migrant workers living i the woods?

- no wonder the yards in certain parts of town are complete eyesores?

- no wonder the private religious school buses are paid for by public tax dollars?

i think this town is a shame. it was a beautiful summer resort that the rockafellers used to vacation in. there are beautiful homes and land. the orthodox community does not take care of anyone but their own and they are filthy about the wauy they keep up lawns and yards and have multiple families living in individual family homes.

since it is such a sexist religion, i cannot imagine the atrocities that happen mentally and physically to women and children behind closed doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey