Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Yes it was silly. But there was a point.

Just because MOST whites happen fall into being the majority of the population (not all, Arabs and Latinos are White and count as minorities) does not mean that wanting to help minorities automatically becomes discrimination against people of a specific color. That is a straw man if ever I saw it.

To be clear - there is NO indication that the grantor did not wish for any scholarships to go to people who happen to have white skin. None. Nada. That is just some chain yanking by the OP. The grantor just wished for more of the money to go towards what he or she saw as the disadvantaged, for whatever reason.

And this has NOTHING to do with the government. This is a personal gift, a very generous one, from a private individual. One we know nothing about.
I just don't know what to do with this. I will never convince you that 1. whites are a majority and 2. A scholarship aimed at minorities and women excludes white men.

You make a leap about what the donor wanted. How do you know the donor wanted the scholarship to go to the disadvantged? I see no evidence of that.

Again personal gifts no matter how generous that are objectively discriminatory should be rejected.

If we can't come to an agreement on my first paragraph please don't respond to it because we will wind up going in circles.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I can beat that. As Billy Connolly said, I'm naturally blue, it takes me a week in the sun just to turn white.

That's great, I'm stealing it.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Yes but my point is that they are not interested in classifying someone based on the fact that they are from Europe. And some of these people are actually educated. This is a long held belief they have.
I witnessed this at a very early age. If I hadn't maybe I would be skeptical too.

Look there are stupid people everywhere. I must tell you some of the dumbest are the wealthy folk on the Upper East Side. You don't have to go all the way down south to find stupid. There is dumb on the left and the right. We all are more sensitive to the stupidty that is contrary to our beliefs and either ignore or dismiss as an outlier stupidy that agrees with our perspective.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times
If the donor had started a foundation instead of letting the school administer it -then it would have been fine?
There are organizations that are very specific that dole out scholarships and they are specifically for Italian Americans, Irish Americans, etc.
You never hear anyone complaining about that.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:13 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Look there are stupid people everywhere. I must tell you some of the dumbest are the wealthy folk on the Upper East Side. You don't have to go all the way down south to find stupid. There is dumb on the left and the right. We all are more sensitive to the stupidty that is contrary to our beliefs and either ignore or dismiss as an outlier stupidy that agrees with our perspective.
I never said they were dumb people at all. They have long held beliefs. Beliefs I don't happen to agree with and these are not necessarily terrible people who I would ignore or dismiss. Of course you don't need to travel to the south for any of it. But by marriage I am related to people like this. They are not bad people in every case- some of them have strong values in the sense that they are honest and very responsible, hard working, etc.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
If the donor had started a foundation instead of letting the school administer it then it would have been fine?
There are organizations that are very specific that dole out scholarships and they are specifically for Italian Americans, Irish Americans, etc.
You never hear anyone complaining about that.

My whole arguement for 4 pages is I don't think anyone objects to targeted scholarships. It is offensive when it excludes only one race.

Starting a foundation, by an individual donor, and distributing scholarships to every racial groups except white men, is still offensive because its ends are the same. If however there were many different foundations or individuals targeting scholarships (assuming they weren't a front for one donor in order to discriminate against one group) not many people would care..

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I just don't know what to do with this. I will never convince you that 1. whites are a majority and 2. A scholarship aimed at minorities and women excludes white men.

Both are true to an extent. My point is that excluding most white men from SOME of the money (you haven't responded to the fact that many white men are classified as minorities) by default isn't the same thing as deliberate discrimination and certainly isn't racism.

You make a leap about what the donor wanted. How do you know the donor wanted the scholarship to go to the disadvantged? I see no evidence of that.

I don't see how I am making any more of a leap about what the donor wanted than either yourself or the OP. The information we have is incredibly limited. As I said before, gifts of this nature usually come with reams of legal documentation. Without that, and based on the limited nature of the original newspaper article, this entire thread is based on unsubstantiated guesswork.

Again personal gifts no matter how generous that are objectively discriminatory should be rejected.

Based on the above, it isn't any more objectively discriminatory than any other gift that designates specific recipients. A religious scholarship defacto discriminates against athiests.

If we can't come to an agreement on my first paragraph please don't respond to it because we will wind up going in circles.
We are going in circles anyway. But we have kept it civil and that is always a good thing so reps to you just for not decending into ad hominem attacks like to many others tend to do.

I am heading off to sleep now. Goodnight and thank you for the civilized discourse.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
We are going in circles anyway. But we have kept it civil and that is always a good thing so reps to you just for not decending into ad hominem attacks like to many others tend to do.

I am heading off to sleep now. Goodnight and thank you for the civilized discourse.

I agree, have a good night, I hope we meet again.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Ofcourse this is racist..But this is the New America- Minorities get everything, white males get nothing. If this was for just the whites only, do you think it would be labeled racist? Ofcourse it would!

Please...Minorities have more rights than anyone else. And also dont need to learn to speak English.

Welcome to the New America.
Give me the smallest of breaks. The heart beating inside of this poor white girls heart is just breaking... please.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Can anyone venture to guess what would happen if a grant was given and to be used for white men and white men only?
Well gee when there are scholarships for say - FENCING STUDENTS - who do you think they are going to? and yes, such scholarships exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey