Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Al Sharpton again?
Cheap shot.

I have stated many times on here that I was not an Obama supporter.
People here have had very different life experiences.
That does not make them crazy.

I see the logic in the idea that unless it is merit based it is unfair.
I get it.
But acknowledging unfairness in the "larger world"- you have a problem with?
Even if it does not justify AA on any level for you- you could at least agree that pointing out certain injustices is not crazy.
Hey if we are going to bring up Sharpton lets bring up David Duke too.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We are not allowed to say. We do not have complete freedom of speech in the USA. Political correctness ya know. You will have to use your imagination.

Well that's a way to evade the question..

Old 04-17-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Again, I don't believe anyone would have a problem with a scholarship that is directed at a specific group, they are concerned with a scholarship that omits only one group. I think everyone would be offended by a scholarship that was worded as following. Award scholarships to people who have come from Europe, Asia, North America, South America Australia and Antartica.
As pointed out MUCH earlier a WHITE MAN could get this $ because there are WHITE MEN who are considered minorities in the "colorblind" US of A.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Can anyone venture to guess what would happen if a grant was given and to be used for white men and white men only?
There are only so many ways to spell this out.
One's "whiteness" is a different animal than one's ethnicity.
The concept of "whiteness" is an artificial construct.
There are Italian-American Student Unions and Honor Societies.
Who will dispute that? That has long been acceptable.

One drop of African blood meant someone did not get classified "white".
There are Americans whose ancestors have lived in this country for over 200 years who don't consider some of you posting here to be white. I'm speaking of hardworking, patriotic, educated people. They grew up with a different definition of whiteness than you did. You don't have to like it but it is part of the history of this country. Some people will never get behind the idea of AA. Some of the arguments seem valid to me but the emphasis on your supposed whiteness is just too much.

Immigrants to this country set up their own organizations and clubs. Africans were not permitted to do that. They were not permitted to read, write or even speak their native language. For generations they went w/o the most basic of rights. Many of the posters here would have you believe that this is false and you have to wonder why? Knowing all of this many Americans still wish for a White honor society? Who should be offended here?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Starting a foundation, by an individual donor, and distributing scholarships to every racial groups except white men, is still offensive because its ends are the same. If however there were many different foundations or individuals targeting scholarships (assuming they weren't a front for one donor in order to discriminate against one group) not many people would care..
If one million had been given to the school to administer as they pleased and the other 4 mil went to one or more funds such as United Negro, Latino Foundation, Italian Honor Society, etc, then it would be more just?
I think I get the point but I can't help think that this issue has much larger significance. This thread is 24 pages long.
Also, I don't know how a group started as a front could be identified.

If the schools only dole out merit based or need based grants regardless of race, gender, ethnicity- that might please some posters here. They may not care about what outside foundations do with non taxpayer money. But after reading these posts- it seems clear that some people don't find any of this acceptable. It would be interesting to see what percentage would make a distinction in regard to these scenarios.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:59 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
If one million had been given to the school to administer as they pleased and the other 4 mil went to one or more funds such as United Negro, Latino Foundation, Italian Honor Society, etc, then it would be more just?
I think I get the point but I can't help think that this issue has much larger significance. This thread is 24 pages long.
Also, I don't know how a group started as a front could be identified.

If the schools only dole out merit based or need based grants regardless of race, gender, ethnicity- that might please some posters here. They may not care about what outside foundations do with non taxpayer money. But after reading these posts- it seems clear that some people don't find any of this acceptable. It would be interesting to see what percentage would make a distinction in regard to these scenarios.
Good morning! If you look at post 160 Anthony B posted all the various targeted scholarships are already being given out without any fuss, but this particular scholarship is available to everyone except one race which the people being discriminated against find offensive (and I would hope in this day and age evrybody else too).

Again as I posted early this morning, I think the reason it has raised such controversy is because of it's wording if it had read African American students from the 4th ward in Newark, this thread would not exist.

If a scholarship reading award to majority students and women existed, I think it would (rightfully) be national news.

Last edited by shorebaby; 04-17-2009 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
There are only so many ways to spell this out.
One's "whiteness" is a different animal than one's ethnicity.
The concept of "whiteness" is an artificial construct.
There are Italian-American Student Unions and Honor Societies.
Who will dispute that? That has long been acceptable.

One drop of African blood meant someone did not get classified "white".
There are Americans whose ancestors have lived in this country for over 200 years who don't consider some of you posting here to be white. I'm speaking of hardworking, patriotic, educated people. They grew up with a different definition of whiteness than you did. You don't have to like it but it is part of the history of this country. Some people will never get behind the idea of AA. Some of the arguments seem valid to me but the emphasis on your supposed whiteness is just too much.

Immigrants to this country set up their own organizations and clubs. Africans were not permitted to do that. They were not permitted to read, write or even speak their native language. For generations they went w/o the most basic of rights. Many of the posters here would have you believe that this is false and you have to wonder why? Knowing all of this many Americans still wish for a White honor society? Who should be offended here?
this is just a bunch of jabber that means nothing. you know that if the money was only for whites, that it would be considered racist. so you are breaking this down into a silly "what is white" argument that doesnt exist. just complicating a simple question so that you dont have to give the real answer.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Excuse me. The what is white argument obviously exists as people are idiotic enough to ask why we don't have white student unions and white honor socieites in 2009? That should be offensive. Yet all you can comment on after 24 pages is that 80% of this gift goes to females and different minorities.
The rest is just dandy with you?
That is why that comment is there.
Lots of people are offended by the other things said here.
You have no clue.
I have read numorous posts of yours and thought they were full of jabber as well and meant nada. At least it could have been insightful jabber.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,277,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is just a bunch of jabber that means nothing. you know that if the money was only for whites, that it would be considered racist. so you are breaking this down into a silly "what is white" argument that doesnt exist. just complicating a simple question so that you dont have to give the real answer.
The vast majority of private contributions to education funding are unavailable to minorities. See my previous posts in this thread.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Excuse me. The what is white argument obviously exists as people are idiotic enough to ask why we don't have white student unions and white honor socieites in 2009? That should be offensive. Yet all you can comment on after 24 pages is that 80% of this gift goes to females and different minorities.
The rest is just dandy with you?
That is why that comment is there.
Lots of people are offended by the other things said here.
You have no clue.
I have read numorous posts of yours and thought they were full of jabber as well and meant nada. At least it could have been insightful jabber.
thanks for reading my posts. i have no problem with using the money in any way the donor suggests. however, it is racist and wouldnt be tolerated if it would only be used for white males. the "whats white" rant is so silly i dont know where to start with that. im not sure how the fact that there are white hispanics affects this debate other than throws in some goofy way to sidetrack it. the white hispanic is going to say he is hispanic when it benefits him and white when it is better to say you are white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey