Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM

326 posts, read 429,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
White males have a higher unemployment than white women; males have a higher unemployment than women.

Think a scholarship for white males, ostensibly to "address" the male unemployment problem, would be tolerated?

Dream on. They're after-the-fact rationalizations made by the privileged classes who benefit from getting free perks.
Yes, that is true. 9.8% to 6.8% in fact according to the latest BLS. But add the fact that only 13% of employed white males are part time workers while 27% of employed white women are part time workers. I am sure you think it is a "choice" choice because they like to sit at home and watch soap opera.

Obviously we should totally ignore the 17.3% unemployment rate for Black men and 10.2% for Black women, but let's face it they are just lazy, right?

Old 04-16-2009, 01:41 PM

392 posts, read 842,544 times
[quote=CaptainNJ;8374392]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

minorities are afforded special grants/scholarships and other coniserations that whites arent. this puts the whites at a disadvantage. if everyone gets $10k for tuition except white males then they are being discriminated against.

your welcome
In addition, most civil service exams add a minority bonus score to non-white applicants among other "funny stuff".

E.g., in NYC when too many minorities started failing the swim exam for admittance to ESU Water Rescue (formerly know as SWAT) , they decided to do away with the test.

What is right is right. This retribution for ills of the past doesn't help anyone.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times
It is many of the same people here- posting over and over.

My view of the world is just different than the Captains and some others.
There is no middle ground sometimes.

I have been asked 3 times to justify how whites and blacks w/o a college education are any different in this country?
Do people have eyes?
They can't see disparity?
If you can't see- I can't help on that. Sorry.

It's ashame that many of our tax dollars have been squandered in attempting to right the wrongs of the past. Many failures abound. Lots of those programs have failed.

Programs that allow for a College education have been one of the few bright spots and yes I am speaking in the case of taxpayer support.
That is not what we are speaking of here but many people like Thomas have benefited from these programs and no it was not fair in his case either.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
We're talking about America. Who are blacks discriminating against here?
Right ... because only white racists are out there discriminating against others, right? There are no black racist and no discrimination against whites, right?

Every non-black victim of a black racist criminal. Every one of those white/latino firemen in New England denied a promotion because of the fear of black-agitated lawsuits based on the fact that no black qualified for promotion. Every poor white person who is put at a disadvantage in education/employment because of quotas reserved for blacks or special perks given to blacks. Every one of those people are being discriminated against.

Quote:
But the society is not equal. What am I supposed to do except for try to make it more so?

Rich blacks are not the ones who need the most help. But there are so few of those people that I don't understand your emphasis on this point..
You pretend not to understand my point because you know that ultimately, it is the main point and the single biggest argument against your racist policies, and the gravy train that you and the rest of the black elite ride on. You keep pointing out how few black elites there are, I guess in the hopes of going unnoticed, but that's the biggest group of beneficiaries from the racist policies of reverse-discrimination.

If you want to make society equal, don't make it complicated or racist. Simply help poor people. That's the biggest, unarguable source of inequality that exists. Period.

Yes, the legacy of past discrimination is that there are a large percentage of poor blacks. By helping poor people, we will include all of those poor blacks. But we would do so not at the expense of poor whites and other groups who are equally disadvantaged.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
Yes, that is true. 9.8% to 6.8% in fact according to the latest BLS. But add the fact that only 13% of employed white males are part time workers while 27% of employed white women are part time workers. I am sure you think it is a "choice" choice because they like to sit at home and watch soap opera.
You're the one using that stereotype. My guess is that far more women have made the choice to more equally balance work and family life, and that's why more women work part time.

That's also my belief about one of the main reasons for the difference in average income (the other being the fields that women have chosen to enter being lower paid overall, i.e. fewer engineers and hardcore business types ... and perhaps those two reasons are related).

Discrimination and prejudice are not the cause of every difference that exists out there, and such difference don't justify government-sanctioned discrimination.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:51 PM

119 posts, read 233,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
Montclair State University receives anonymous $5 million donation - NJ.com

Does that not seem a bit racist? What if someone donated scholarships for everyone except black males? or Hispanic females?
NO. Not at all racist. Plenty of scholarships out there are based on gender, sex, geographic area and etc. No one else is out there complaining about all them. Find a scholarship you qualify for, there is one out there for everyone.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:57 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,474 times
LOL, all of you guys are missing a major point.

One thing I always found interesting is, you don't see any equal opportunity funds for women in trade schools, like UTI or Lincoln Tech. Funny, almost all of the labor-intensive trades are >90% male, yet you don't hear any feminist complaining about discrimination in those fields, now do you. This is a sexism & classism issue, more than a racism issue. Elite rich men do not want working class men in college, because they view them as a threat. If there were a mass explosion of educated working class males, no one would do those crappy, backbreaking jobs.

Things are working out exactly how the new age feminists and the elites want it. The men (of all races) will do the stupid, backbreaking jobs that women won't do. The elite rich men at the top will still succeed when the day is done.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times
Oh please.
You don't know who is on a gravy train here.

I have personally never received any aid at all.
I have heard many arguments about reverse discrimination.
People usually base the argument on the idea of an even playing field.
That is why the debates usually get stuck.

If the argument is that any AA in education is wrong and discriminatory- I would hope that you would agree that all discrimination is wrong. The wrongs of the past can not be righted and everyone is even. If so everything should go back to merit based.
This is how most of the posts sound to me.
Is that correct?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 PM

612 posts, read 1,011,301 times
guy's, I've been on the short end of the stick of such policies which discriminate in favor of Women and Minorities in a university environment. However, if this money is a private donation, there is nothing wrong with the donor deciding how it gets allocated. That's up to the discretion of the donor. We shouldn't have a problem with these types of programs as long as they are instituted with private money. What you should have a problem with is when these types of programs are put forth using Taxpayer money through federal programs. The government should not have a legal authority to discriminate. On the other hand, you, me, everyone, and especially the government should have no say on who a private donation should and shouldn't support. That's up to the donor.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 PM

326 posts, read 429,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
You're the one using that stereotype. My guess is that far more women have made the choice to more equally balance work and family life, and that's why more women work part time.

That's also my belief about one of the main reasons for the difference in average income (the other being the fields that women have chosen to enter being lower paid overall, i.e. fewer engineers and hardcore business types ... and perhaps those two reasons are related).

Discrimination and prejudice are not the cause of every difference that exists out there, and such difference don't justify government-sanctioned discrimination.
Single white females are twice more likely to be living under poverty compared to single white males. What is that for? I guess a choice to stay fit?

It seems like women have been making extremely poor choices or they have this healthy balance of work and staying fit as you suggest.

What is next? You suggest women to get married and be the good wife to solve their problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey