Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times

Advertisements

Not only are they not up in arms. It sounds like they couldn't care less.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:12 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I didn't mention affirmative action, a thread on that topic based in facts and debated in good humor without vitriole would be fun.

True, you didn't, but a great deal of the thread did so I thought it appropriate to state my opinion on it.

You are quite correct the scholarship doesn't say who is eligible it only says who is ineleigble, which is everyone except white men. Look at my post using the continent scenario, I am sure you would rightly find this offensive. This scholarship is no different.

That's the exact opposite of what I said. The newspaper article says that 80% of the money is to go to scholarships for women and minorites. It doesn't say that white men are excluded or ineligible at all. It is the OP who said that. What I did say was that the limited article made no mention of how it would be decided in what way a minority would be defined as a minority or even which minorities may be covered. Most grants come with fairly sophisticated language which isn't revealed in the 2 paragraph blurb.
My responses in bold. And no, I wouldn't find it offensive for someone to list continents that they wanted to help and ignore another. I don't find legacy scholarships offensive even though they target whites as only white people were allowed to go to many of these colleges 50 years ago.

And yes - there ARE white minorities - Latinos, Arabs and many religious minorities are all designated as White. Or are we only talking about male Americans of Northern European backgrounds who have decided that they are discriminated against?

We don't know the language of the actual gift. We don't know the exact criteria of the scholarships. We don't know the race, ethnicity or sex of the person who made the gift. This entire debate is based on someone deciding what they think someone else they don't know was thinking. Mostly in order to score political points.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
I'm not accusing you of anything, and my comment wasn't directed at you specifically.

My point is that it seems many are up in arms about this on the grounds of "fairness", but there is a lot of unfairness (most of which favours people with privileged backgrounds, who are more likely to be white than black), and most of the people who are up in arms about the donation that was the subject of this thread, are not up in arms about the sort of "unfairness" that maintains the existing social hierarchy.

Well forgive me for not catching that when you quoted directly from my post.

I don't know any of the people who responded to this thread and therefore can't comment on what they think is fair or unfair. I can only speak for myself. I think it is objectional to exclude any group of people based on race. I am not sure why you are not equally offended.

And before you go back to the silly topic of parents paying for their children I don't object to it because the "schoalrship" is directed towards one group, my children, it doesn't exlude only one group.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
And yes - there ARE white minorities - Latinos, Arabs and many religious minorities are all designated as White. Or are we only talking about male Americans of Northern European backgrounds who have decided that they are discriminated against?
We don't know the language of the actual gift. We don't know the exact criteria of the scholarships. We don't know the race, ethnicity or sex of the person who made the gift.
Thank you for pointing that out.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
My responses in bold. And no, I wouldn't find it offensive for someone to list continents that they wanted to help and ignore another. I don't find legacy scholarships offensive even though they target whites as only white people were allowed to go to many of these colleges 50 years ago.

We don't know the language of the actual gift. We don't know the exact criteria of the scholarships. We don't know the race, ethnicity or sex of the person who made the gift. This entire debate is based on someone deciding what they think someone else they don't know was thinking. Mostly in order to score political points.
Respectfully, I don't buy it. I think if a minority group was specified it would have been mentioned. Alutian Islanders and women to receive scholarship!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM

I can't figure out why you are not equally offended in regard to the concept of a Legacy for example. Or in regard to athletic scholarships.

Or are you?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Well I commend you on your expansive view of human nature, however I believe the vast majority of folks (including me) would be offended by this.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Respectfully, I don't buy it. I think if a minority group was specified it would have been mentioned. Alutian Islanders and women to receive scholarship!
And could you point to me the exact language on the legal documentation that accompanied the gift that DIDN"T make any specifications or that specified that the only people ineligible for any money from this individual are White Anglo Saxon American Males Preferrably from a Protestant Background and Northern European Bloodline?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
I can't figure out why you are not equally offended in regard to the concept of a Legacy for example. Or in regard to athletic scholarships.

Or are you?
If you can give me a good reason to be I may be.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Thank you for pointing that out.

I think this makes it worse, the donor is specifically discriminating against people of European decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey